Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eaglesinsider

2017 McDonogh Football Schedule

123 posts in this topic

Well, smart to realize that QB will not be his position at the next level. I have a sneaky suspicion that the position move(don't remember many kids announcing their own position they will be recruited at on Twitter), has more to do with rankings and recognition than anything else. He will rise up the charts I believe as an athlete. He just ran 10.55 in 100, that's blazing for a junior. Add the over 23 feet long jump, the kid is an ELITE athlete.

Maybe this will now allow Dom to start the other kid at QB. Telling you, they will be a very scary if this happens. Won't beat SFA or DeMatha but will make the games much more interesting.

Ok, so if you are switching his position from QB to an athlete how often are you allowing him to touch the ball per game?

Ok, so if you are switching his position from QB to an athlete how often are you allowing him to touch the ball per game?

A lot! Would use him as a more advanced Darius Jennings. Dom is a better offensive mind than Poggi. Ellis hasn't shown he's the player that Jennings was, but he's still a hell of a player. And with that speed, he would be a nightmare. I think McD's line will be their problem against DeMatha and SFA but they could keep it close if they're creative.

A lot! Would use him as a more advanced Darius Jennings. Dom is a better offensive mind than Poggi. Ellis hasn't shown he's the player that Jennings was, but he's still a hell of a player. And with that speed, he would be a nightmare. I think McD's line will be their problem against DeMatha and SFA but they could keep it close if they're creative.

I do hear ya GA...I really do.   But I just think with the ball being hiked to him on every offensive play he can be a bigger threat, especially at the high school level.  But we shall see what McD will do in the fall.

I do hear ya GA...I really do.   But I just think with the ball being hiked to him on every offensive play he can be a bigger threat, especially at the high school level.  But we shall see what McD will do in the fall.

That didn't work very well last year. He can't pass and against teams with athletes like DM and SFA, not going to work(and didn't last year).

That didn't work very well last year. He can't pass and against teams with athletes like DM and SFA, not going to work(and didn't last year).

great athlete.  as i said before.  will play in the slot in college.  why waste his time at QB? VT will get guys who will keep him on the QB bench for years. smartest move the kid has made.  way more options than being a 5'10 QB with wheels.  

Yes, they didn't go undefeated and/or win the MIAA-A, but first year with a new squad and they were 8-3.  Sounds like it worked fine to me.

Yes, I agree he will probably will play Slot WR in college, but unless McD brings in a ton of talent (like St Frances) I believe their best bet to win is to have the ball in his hands as much as possible.  He will have lesser touches from the Slot position than from the QB position.  That's all I am saying.

Yes, they didn't go undefeated and/or win the MIAA-A, but first year with a new squad and they were 8-3. Sounds like it worked fine to me.

Yes, I agree he will probably will play Slot WR in college, but unless McD brings in a ton of talent (like St Frances) I believe their best bet to win is to have the ball in his hands as much as possible. He will have lesser touches from the Slot position than from the QB position. That's all I am saying.

They seemed to be a more well rounded team with the other Qb in the game, I agree the ball has to be in his hands but not every play. Alot of guys like that feel like they have to take over the game and end up making bad decisions. The other Qb seems to make better decisions. Put him in the slot, in motion, in the backfield, out wide, just get him the ball in different ways and let him just make plays.

I agree with GA, I'm still an Ellis fan but they need to have packages with the other qb in the game in Ellis in the slot or lineup up at tailback. Also ga check your inbox

The other Qb has a strong arm, good combination Ellis blazing speed, strong armed Qb. Throw it up a day let him run

The other Qb has a strong arm, good combination Ellis blazing speed, strong armed Qb. Throw it up a day let him run

The other QB is pretty good.  Not as athletic.  Good decision maker and good arm.  A very good HS QB.  Ellis, on the other hand is simply fast.  His speed is far better than his vision and decision with the ball (meaning disproportionately fast).  But the speed is so good it doesn't matter at this level because he can go lateral AND straight. As much as one might think he should touch the ball every play, there are 10 other guys on the field and using him strategically would benefit the team because it would allow them to use everything they have while keeping D's guessing.  Plus, at 160 lbs, how durable is really going to be?  Give him the ball 20 times a game from scrimmage and he is going to get busted up and then what will you have?  Use him in space like Diggs or Jones.  It's not that hard to figure out.   Sounds like VT delivered the memo and Dad read it.

Agreed. For winning all of those games, the results don't show with college matriculation to the D1 Level for football.

That should make it even more impressive, winning without a lot of studs.

The other QB is pretty good. Not as athletic. Good decision maker and good arm. A very good HS QB. Ellis, on the other hand is simply fast. His speed is far better than his vision and decision with the ball (meaning disproportionately fast). But the speed is so good it doesn't matter at this level because he can go lateral AND straight. As much as one might think he should touch the ball every play, there are 10 other guys on the field and using him strategically would benefit the team because it would allow them to use everything they have while keeping D's guessing. Plus, at 160 lbs, how durable is really going to be? Give him the ball 20 times a game from scrimmage and he is going to get busted up and then what will you have? Use him in space like Diggs or Jones. It's not that hard to figure out. Sounds like VT delivered the memo and Dad read it.

They have a couple of good backs, good receivers. Having him play another position gets the best players on the field, giving other teams more guys to stop then just him.

Posted (edited)

They have a couple of good backs, good receivers. Having him play another position gets the best players on the field, giving other teams more guys to stop then just him.

They have a great young RB and veg good WR. They have talent at the skill positions. Putting Ellis at another position, makes them really hard to stop. Their problem will be the line.

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM

Ok...I am sold.  Put him on offense as an "Athlete" and see how it plays out

I believe ellis should be more of a WR. He likes to run a lot. Him at qb is exciting to watch because he is so fast when he scrambles and nobobdy can catch him. he is more of a dual threat qb.

GA, how much will McDonogh suffer on the O line with Jordan leaving and how much does it effect Ellis and the Young Back

Ellis de-committed from VaTech a few days ago to reopen his recruitment as an athlete so maybe he's taking cues from the board.

GA, how much will McDonogh suffer on the O line with Jordan leaving and how much does it effect Ellis and the Young Back

I believe they lose three OL, I could be wrong, have to check. But, if they return everybody except McNair, huge loss. They weren't great with him.

Ellis just recommitted to va tech

I guess his dad did NOT get the memo!  B)

1 hour ago, ShoNuff07 said:

I guess his dad did NOT get the memo!  B)

Whats the memo? I know Dejuan Dad. Hes been coaching his son up for a long time. Dejuan dad is intimidating to me. He big and muscular with tattoos. But anyway I think VT is a good move for him. ACC should be a great fit. I think Dejuan wouldnt be proactive on a Big 10 or SEC roster. ACC is whats best for him

11 hours ago, DMVSportsAnalyst said:

Whats the memo? I know Dejuan Dad. Hes been coaching his son up for a long time. Dejuan dad is intimidating to me. He big and muscular with tattoos. But anyway I think VT is a good move for him. ACC should be a great fit. I think Dejuan wouldnt be proactive on a Big 10 or SEC roster. ACC is whats best for him

That what was being said during this forum topic earlier.