Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bowie-Bruce

Down on the Farm

101 posts in this topic

Pretty good start for Cedric Mullins in his Bowie debut. 4-5 with a tater and 9 TB. Keep in mind he's making the jump from Delmarva and skipping Frederick.

Yes, it's but one game.

That's great. I think I recall his name being mentioned when they talked about why Tavares was not kept on the OD roster.

Could be on the fast track to Baltimore.

He's a four tool guy...but his 5th missing tool could be the killer for his bat. He needs more patience. Outside of that he is definitely a talent.

Thanks FFH, good to know

For his small 5-8 frame, the guy showed significant pop down in Florida.

Thus far, it appears as though Mullins has adjusted well to AA pitching.

Line of .529/.556/1.059 over his first 4 games.

Thus far, it appears as though Mullins has adjusted well to AA pitching.

Line of .529/.556/1.059 over his first 4 games.

Fake news ????

Mullins hit another dinger (his third in five games) on the way to a 3 for 5 performance.

Think I'm gonna check out a Baysox game on Friday night.

.577 BA

1.684 OPS

Mullins putting up softball numbers in AA.

.577 BA

1.684 OPS

Mullins putting up softball numbers in AA.

This is a much needed boost for the farm as far as the OF goes.  We haven't been able to do anything since Nick came up over 10 years ago.  And Hays looks good in Frederick too.  I'm afraid DJ Stewart is going to be a bust though.  Mullins is just the type of player we need coming up through the system.  Jones isn't going to play forever in CF. I remember the good old days when the O's farm had guys like Baylor, Grich and Bumbry ready to replace stalwarts like Frank Robison, Dave Johnson and Paul Blair.  What a pipeline of talent.

As Crouse noted, Hays is looking good at Frederick. The Keys have him playing CF.

BA of .406 and 1.112 OPS to begin the season.

Aquino had a great outing last night against Charlotte.  6 ip, 1 unearned run, 8Ks.  I really hope either him or Asher can shove UJ into DFA land by late May if he continues to suck.  At least we got some options.  Forget about Mike Wright,  He is sporting close to a 9 ERA and getting smoked at AAA.  This guy is burnt toast.

Third baseman Jomar Reyes getting off to a good start at Frederick, with a line of .425/.625/1.077 over his first 10 games. Reyes turned 20 in February.

Third baseman Jomar Reyes getting off to a good start at Frederick, with a line of .425/.625/1.077 over his first 10 games. Reyes turned 20 in February.

The position players are starting to blossom.  Lets keep adding to Manny, Schoop and Mancini.

This "consensus bottom five farm system" meme is beginning to stick in my craw. Between Mancini's debut, the development of Mullins and Hays, Sedwick and Aquino, Harvey is still around (how sound is another question), Mountcastle seems to be making progress. That seems to me to be a good bit of young talent. And of course Sisco, even though he's apparently not crushing it in Norfolk. Yeah, a lot of this is just one week, but the same groupthink that keeps predicting the Orioles to win 70 to 78 games, when they go on to win 84 to 90+, could be similarly inclined to underrated the minors. 

/rose colored Orioles glasses

This is terrific news! Rosa is playing 3B in Bowie and can easily be promoted to Norfolk and moved to another position should he stay hot.

Another O's third base prospect, Drew Dosch, hitting .357 at Bowie.  I thought this guy had fallen off the radar.

Alvarez hitting about .160 at Norfolk.  No reports at all on his RF play.  With Mancini raking,  he has all but buried Pedro.

Another O's third base prospect, Drew Dosch, hitting .357 at Bowie. I thought this guy had fallen off the radar.

Thx! Thought Rosa was starting, my bad.

Can't wait to make it to my first Bowie game when I get back.

It will be interesting to see how starting pitchers Cody Sedlock and Alex Wells handle their promotions this year to Frederick and Delmarva, respectively. So far, so good. Sedlock is making his third start of the season tonight.

Of course there's a whole lots of season left, but it looks like some good stuff is happpening in Frederick. Through 3 starts, Sedlock has a WHIP of 0.82 and a 2.12 ERA.

Reyes .358/.528/.910

Jays .339/.571/.944

Mountcastle .321/.509/.878

I was hoping Reyes would have developed further by now. He's starting his 4th year in pro ball, and he has only gotten to Fredneck. He only just turned 20, so there's time. And I'm not necessarily concerned for his development. I imagined a scenario where he moves up, takes over 3B, and Manny to go to SS in '18. Then they extend Manny and trade Davis or Trumbo to offset the $30-40M/yr.    

Bobby Bundy sent back to Aberdeen. Gotta think he is on borrowed time professionally.

I was hoping Reyes would have developed further by now. He's starting his 4th year in pro ball, and he has only gotten to Fredneck. He only just turned 20, so there's time. And I'm not necessarily concerned for his development. I imagined a scenario where he moves up, takes over 3B, and Manny to go to SS in '18. Then they extend Manny and trade Davis or Trumbo to offset the $30-40M/yr.

While it has to be acknowledged that Reyes is "repeating" Frederick this season, he is still 2.5 years younger than the league average.

While it has to be acknowledged that Reyes is "repeating" Frederick this season, he is still 2.5 years younger than the league average.

Didn't he hurt his thumb either last year or the year before?  I thought that had set him back.

Dorsch promoted to Norfolk.  Both their 3B hurt.  He was hitting like .429 at Bowie.  LH hitting third baseman.