Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bowie-Bruce

Down on the Farm

107 posts in this topic

Roch said Steve Johnson is headed to Norfolk.

Sedlock allowed 1 hit in 5 IP yesterday for the Keys. He is now 3-0 with a 1.64 ERA and sub 1 WHIP.

Sedlock allowed 1 hit in 5 IP yesterday for the Keys. He is now 3-0 with a 1.64 ERA and sub 1 WHIP.

Gotta think he isn't being challenged. I hope to see him in Bowie when Ibreturn from my trip. Cedric Mullins too! Not looking forward to seeing DJ Stewart so much lol

Gotta think he isn't being challenged. I hope to see him in Bowie when Ibreturn from my trip. Cedric Mullins too! Not looking forward to seeing DJ Stewart so much lol

That's what I thought too. Remember when Bundy was pitching in the minors? He dominated up through Frederick. I can't totally remember, but it felt like he didn't give up a run, until he went to Bowie. 

I was hoping Reyes would have developed further by now. He's starting his 4th year in pro ball, and he has only gotten to Fredneck. He only just turned 20, so there's time. And I'm not necessarily concerned for his development. I imagined a scenario where he moves up, takes over 3B, and Manny to go to SS in '18. Then they extend Manny and trade Davis or Trumbo to offset the $30-40M/yr.

This is the ideal scenario in my mind as well. Which would include not picking up Hardy's option which will free up what $14 million?? That money should go directly to Machado. I don't see them trading Davis but Trumbo would be a possibility. Then again he's only inked to a three year deal and isn't overly expensive assuming he starts hitting again.

David Hess had a nice performance after Scott today. I love Hess, we will see if he can turn it around.

Aussie lefthander Alex Wells is following up on his strong 2016 season at Aberdeen with a good start so far with Delmarva. In 4 starts, 20 year old Wells has an identical WHIP and ERA of 1.00. What may be most impressive to me is his strikeout to walk ratio, better than 7 to 1.

Chris Lee finally pitched well.

Francisco Jimenz had a REAL nice game for Delmarva (no relation to the turd on our pitching staff)

It looks like Richard Blier is off the DL for Norfolk, he was pitching well in a limited sample, before he got hurt. He might be in the rotation soon. 

Logan Verrett (out of the bp) and Wright have both been awful for Norfolk. Gotta think Verrett is in danger of losing his 40-man spot and lord knows why Wright hasn't been moved to the bp yet, the O's are a stubborn bunch...

Good news, bad news following today's Frederick game. Wedlock was hammered for the first time this year, and his ERA jumped all the way up to 3.71. But he still has a very respectable WHIP of 1.05.

The good news is that Mountcastle hit another tater, his 5th of the season. He's now batting .323 with an .898 OPS.

Good news, bad news following today's Frederick game. Wedlock was hammered for the first time this year, and his ERA jumped all the way up to 3.71. But he still has a very respectable WHIP of 1.05.

The good news is that Mountcastle hit another tater, his 5th of the season. He's now batting .323 with an .898 OPS.

I have always been a Mountcastle fan. I remember debating with some when the Orioles drafted him. The only thing though, I believe the Orioles need to find him another position. Reports are he will not be anything great at shortstop. There's still time, but I haven't heard any improvement there.

Another good outing by Wells last night for Delmarva. In 5 starts, he has a 1.11 ERA and 0.95 WHIP.

Unless I missed it somewhere, Tillman got shelled in Charlotte the other night.  Gave up 5 runs in 5 IP allowing 3 dongs.  He ain't ready.  Didn't see any word on his velocity.  The MASN guys I guess were hiding this cause I saw nothing in their daily reports..  He is supposedly starting at the Yard Sunday.  Yikes.  I guess he cant be any worse than UJ.

Unless I missed it somewhere, Tillman got shelled in Charlotte the other night.  Gave up 5 runs in 5 IP allowing 3 dongs.  He ain't ready.  Didn't see any word on his velocity.  The MASN guys I guess were hiding this cause I saw nothing in their daily reports..  He is supposedly starting at the Yard Sunday.  Yikes.  I guess he cant be any worse than UJ.

Check that .  It was 4 dongs and he is deemed ready to go.  Good lord help us.  Roch finally graced us with an update on MASN.

Yaz is back!

and can't believe Pedro is still below the Mendoza line. I watched the first game and thought to myself: "man, it isn't fair this guy is in AAA".

On 5/3/2017 at 6:58 PM, CROUSEMAN said:

I'd put about as much stock in a rehab start as I would one from spring training. 

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:01 PM, mdrunning said:

I'd put about as much stock in a rehab start as I would one from spring training. 

I totally disagree.  This was his last rehab start before the bigs.  Not a Mar 15 lets get the rust off start, lets work on things. Plus with the velocity down, that's one to really watch that is not a good sign in your last rehab start.  Maybe between last Tuesday and today he will magically pick up 4 or 5MPh on his fastball, but I doubt it.  Of course, Tillman is pretty gritty and can get by without his best stuff, unlike Gausman and UJ. Hope for the best here.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:01 PM, mdrunning said:

Good call.  Hope he can keep fooling people with the soft stuff.

I have to believe Jake Ring will soon be promoted to Frederick. The CFer is currently touting a line of .339/.393/.670 with the Shorebirds.

Mountcastle continues to swing the bat at Frederick. Among Carolina League players, he is currently 7th in BA (.326), tied for 3rd in HR (7), and tied for 6th in RBI (24). And at 20, he is notably younger than most of his league peers. 

Time will ultimately tell, but the early part of Mountcastle's professional career has been promising.

20 hours ago, Bowie-Bruce said:

Mountcastle continues to swing the bat at Frederick. Among Carolina League players, he is currently 7th in BA (.326), tied for 3rd in HR (7), and tied for 6th in RBI (24). And at 20, he is notably younger than most of his league peers. 

Time will ultimately tell, but the early part of Mountcastle's professional career has been promising.

Absolutely. He's been very consistent. He seems legit. I will add, they don't think he stick at SS, probably a 2B.

Mullings come back soon and Tanner Scott had another great outing.

Yaz still on fire at Norfolk. No clue how Henry Urritia hasn't been released yet.

Mountcastle is just mashing at Frederick. Pretty good line of .344/.369/.609.

And it looks like he's developing a power stroke. In 455 AB last year with Delmarva, he hit 10 HR. Already has 8 taters this season with Frederick, in only 151 AB.

On 4/30/2017 at 7:11 PM, ncbirdfan said:

I have always been a Mountcastle fan. I remember debating with some when the Orioles drafted him. The only thing though, I believe the Orioles need to find him another position. Reports are he will not be anything great at shortstop. There's still time, but I haven't heard any improvement there.

I remember that draft thread. I remember Slide was unhappy with DD taking RM in the 1st round, because all the outlets had him as more of a 3rd round draftee (if I'm not mistaken). I could see the logic of that opinion, but I thought a bird in the hand...

I've also heard the reports that SS isn't his long term position, or 3B for that matter. He's considered a better fit as a COFer (specifically LF). 

Just now, weird-O said:

I remember that draft thread. I remember Slide was unhappy with DD taking RM in the 1st round, because all the outlets had him as more of a 3rd round draftee (if I'm not mistaken). I could see the logic of that opinion, but I thought a bird in the hand...

I've also heard the reports that SS isn't his long term position, or 3B for that matter. He's considered a better fit as a COFer (specifically LF). 

Yes, defensively there are question marks as to where he will eventually fit. He wants to play SS but just is not good enough at this point and no one is sure he ever will be. But he can rake it.

And i might have to find my on Mountcastle thread I started after the draft. It would be interesting to see what was said back then. I know Slide and I had an argument over him being picked. But to be honest, I don't remember too much about it. Ever since I hit 50 my memory ain't as sharp as it has been.

Agreed on the questions surrounding Mountcastle's position moving forward. You would like to think that a SS is more athletic than most of his position peers, and would have enough of an arm which could translate elsewhere on the diamond. One of the outfield corners could ultimately be his nesting place.

Ring continues to do well at Delmarva, with a batting  line of .318/.369/.959. He also has 10 stolen bases, which probably equals the O's total.