Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bowie-Bruce

Down on the Farm

107 posts in this topic

My argument about Mountcastle was that it was a terrible pick because he almost certainly could have been had one, or even two rounds later.  There is nothing wrong with selecting him.  There WAS something wrong with when they took him.

It's great he's doing well and all, but that kind of draft strategy is why the O's farm system is a veritable wasteland.

Per Roch, Austin Hays is moving up to Bowie after the All Star break. He and Mountcastle are having their way with Carolina League pitchers. And Sisco is starting to heat up at Norfolk.

Of course, it's a shame that the minor league pickings for pitching appear to be slim.

Just watching his scouting report video on Hays, he's a very capable COFer with a plus arm. He can be a very good RFer. His swing is compact, and projects as a strong doubles type hitter. HR power may show up. 

1 hour ago, weird-O said:

Just watching his scouting report video on Hays, he's a very capable COFer with a plus arm. He can be a very good RFer. His swing is compact, and projects as a strong doubles type hitter. HR power may show up. 

Hays is definitely showing improvement in the power department. 16 HR in 262 AB so far this year in Frederick. He and Mullins could make for a nice 2/3 of an outfield in Bowie. Then you have D.J. Stewart, meh.

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, Bowie-Bruce said:

Hays is definitely showing improvement in the power department. 16 HR in 262 AB so far this year in Frederick. He and Mullins could make for a nice 2/3 of an outfield in Bowie. Then you have D.J. Stewart, meh.

My friend and his father were scouts for the Marlins and when we drafted him-I showed up the video and profile of him. His response? He needs to change his swing-won't play in the majors (guess what-he DID change it-last year). He also said he didn't think he had enough power for LF. He also wasn't impressed by his arm (from what I saw on video-not in person-looks like a noodle arm).

That was a terrible pick. I didn't get it at the time and don't now.

Hays and Mountcastle are RAPIDLY going up the ranks in our farm system-very impressive.

Edited by dshawg1

15 hours ago, dshawg1 said:

My friend and his father were scouts for the Marlins and when we drafted him-I showed up the video and profile of him. His response? He needs to change his swing-won't play in the majors (guess what-he DID change it-last year). He also said he didn't think he had enough power for LF. He also wasn't impressed by his arm (from what I saw on video-not in person-looks like a noodle arm).

That was a terrible pick. I didn't get it at the time and don't now.

Hays and Mountcastle are RAPIDLY going up the ranks in our farm system-very impressive.

Thanks for sharing, that's all interesting to hear 

What's Billy Rowell up to? Matt Hobgood.

13 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

What's Billy Rowell up to? Matt Hobgood.

Burger King and Churches Chicken respectively 

Keegan Akin has a no hitter through 7 innings for Frederick.

Austin Jays hasn't missed a beat since his recent promotion to Bowie. Batting .333 over his first 6 games of AA.

Hays 4 for 5 last night with another tater, now batting .394 over an admittedly tiny sample size.

Time to take in another game at Bowie.

Going to the Bowie Baysox game tonight (FINALLY). I have season tix but haven't been able to go all season (it's just a mini-pack).

I am excited to see Mullings and Hays in person! Can't wait-it's a hot one out there so I hope it cools down some!

Anyone else going by chance?

18 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

Going to the Bowie Baysox game tonight (FINALLY). I have season tix but haven't been able to go all season (it's just a mini-pack).

I am excited to see Mullings and Hays in person! Can't wait-it's a hot one out there so I hope it cools down some!

Wish I was going tonight. Hays has not missed a beat since his promotion from Frederick, and it's good to see Mullins healthy and producing again. I look forward to reading your report!

32 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

I wish i was instead im on grill duty 

We need to link up and duke it out on the rebuild drink and go back to being friends lol

Big league club continues to suck, so might as well focus on who's doing well in the minors. And the 3 prospects upon whom I focus the most--Wells, Hays, and Mouncastle--continue to perform very well. 

Wells, the 19 year old Aussie southpaw starter for Delmarva, is sporting a 0.910 WHIP and a better than 5/1 SO to BB ratio. Perhaps most notably, he has surrendered a total of 1 HR in 62.2 IP. Wow.

Hays, who is 21, has quickly progressed through the system and has handled his promotion to Bowie quite nicely. In his first 20 games, Hays is carrying a line of .329/.349/.537.

And 20 year old Mountcastle, the oft criticized draft pick from a few years back, sports a batting line of .319/.347/.553 at Frederick. What struck me in particular is his 35 doubles in 351 AB, to go along with the 15 taters.

All of that noted, when I look through the minor league system, I don't see much depth quality depth when it comes to starting pitching. Which leads me to believe that the O's need to give very serious thought to trading Manny. But I digress.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Bowie-Bruce said:

Big league club continues to suck, so might as well focus on who's doing well in the minors. And the 3 prospects upon whom I focus the most--Wells, Hays, and Mouncastle--continue to perform very well. 

Wells, the 19 year old Aussie southpaw starter for Delmarva, is sporting a 0.910 WHIP and a better than 5/1 SO to BB ratio. Perhaps most notably, he has surrendered a total of 1 HR in 62.2 IP. Wow.

Hays, who is 21, has quickly progressed through the system and has handled his promotion to Bowie quite nicely. In his first 20 games, Hays is carrying a line of .329/.349/.537.

And 20 year old Mountcastle, the oft criticized draft pick from a few years back, sports a batting line of .319/.347/.553 at Frederick. What struck me in particular is his 35 doubles in 351 AB, to go along with the 15 taters.

All of that noted, when I look through the minor league system, I don't see much depth quality depth when it comes to starting pitching. Which leads me to believe that the O's need to give very serious thought to trading Manny. But I digress.

I was not one of those who criticized the pick. I liked the pick from the get-go. The problem now is where to put him. From day one there was talk that he was not equipped to play shortstop in the majors and, although reportedly he made improvements at his position, he still is not projected to be an everyday shortstop. Also, almost from day one, his bat has been good. So if he continues to impress from the plate, there will be room for him SOMEWHERE in Baltimore, should he not get traded, etc.

Edited by ncbirdfan

Wells put up 6 innings worth of goose eggs for Delmarva in a 1-0 win last night, extending his streak to 24 consecutive scoreless innings.

Another 6 inning shutout win yesterday for Wells, allowing 1 hit in the process. His scoreless streak is now up to 30 innings. He has not allowed a walk in the last 35 innings.

A promotion to Frederick should be forthcoming.

On 7/15/2017 at 3:05 PM, ncbirdfan said:

I was not one of those who criticized the pick. I liked the pick from the get-go. The problem now is where to put him. From day one there was talk that he was not equipped to play shortstop in the majors and, although reportedly he made improvements at his position, he still is not projected to be an everyday shortstop. Also, almost from day one, his bat has been good. So if he continues to impress from the plate, there will be room for him SOMEWHERE in Baltimore, should he not get traded, etc.

After the initial critique of his D at SS, there was chatter that he may be better fit at 3B. I don't remember where I read this, but it seems he isn't skilled enough to play 3B either. Now it's being discussed that he's better suited for a COF position.  

Santander will be in Bowie tonight along with Flaherty. Might try to go: enjoy seeing Mountcastle, Hays & Mullings too-good team innBowie right now.

59 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

Santander will be in Bowie tonight along with Flaherty. Might try to go: enjoy seeing Mountcastle, Hays & Mullings too-good team innBowie right now.

Yep, the Baysox are definitely worth watching with all of those prospects. Santander had a damn good season last year prior to the injuries.

Posted (edited)

Wow, Austin Hays. Between Frederick/Bowie:

.328 AVG

26 HR

70 RBI

.968 OPS

You'd like to see him walk more, but if he can hit for AVG, I'll take it.

Maybe a September call up? Need to play him everyday if you do bring him up. And if he's not called up, I am guessing he's in Baltimore by May-June next year if he doesn't make the team out of ST.

Edited by Pickle20

22 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Wow, Austin Hays. Between Frederick/Bowie:

.328 AVG

26 HR

70 RBI

.968 OPS

You'd like to see him walk more, but if he can hit for AVG, I'll take it.

Maybe a September call up? Need to play him everyday if you do bring him up. And if he's not called up, I am guessing he's in Baltimore by May-June next year if he doesn't make the team out of ST.

Yep, Hays has absolutely been killing it this year. Moving up from A to AA is no joke, but he's doing just as well if not better at Bowie. Sounds like a pretty kid as well. Fouled a ball off his face at the plate several days ago, had some stitches, and was back in the lineup shortly thereafter.

Oh, and Alex Wells just pitched another six innings of 3 hit shutout ball the other night, along with zero walks and 7 strikeouts. That performance extends his scoreless and walkless streak to 36 and 41 innings, respectively.

Wow.

6 hours ago, Bowie-Bruce said:

Oh, and Alex Wells just pitched another six innings of 3 hit shutout ball the other night, along with zero walks and 7 strikeouts. That performance extends his scoreless and walkless streak to 36 and 41 innings, respectively.

Wow.

Hes one im intrigued about 

Love the favc he doesn't walk alot of folks