Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bowie-Bruce

Down on the Farm

107 posts in this topic

Santander should be on the Orioles 

NOW!

Guy is incredible, great approach at the plate. Batting .670 and had a homer, double and single last night.

3 hours ago, dshawg1 said:

Santander should be on the Orioles 

NOW!

Guy is incredible, great approach at the plate. Batting .670 and had a homer, double and single last night.

Because of all the missed time this season, he'll still be a rule 5 guy next season. Hope he can get some time in this year, to better prepare him for next year. I hope he can catch a ball, because AJ is going to be flanked by him and Trey next year. Trey isn't a liability, but two questionable OFers makes for extra hits against the O's.

Correct-you need 90 days, so my guess is end of August (if not sooner), September, early Oct and then can be optioned next year to the minors if necessary and can fulfill the next year-some shady stuff, but this guy is the one guy I strongly support keeping.

I supported Garcia as well because of his fastball being so dominate, but he just couldn't develop another pitch.

The Orioles waste more time with these low ceiling guys (McFarland, Flaherty, Tavarez) I just dont' get it.

Santander is a legit prospect.

Following finger surgery earlier in the season, 3B Jomar Reyes will soon be returning to Frederick, where he was hitting quite well prior to injury. 

11 minutes ago, Bowie-Bruce said:

Following finger surgery earlier in the season, 3B Jomar Reyes will soon be returning to Frederick, where he was hitting quite well prior to injury. 

His development has been slow going

1 hour ago, Bowie-Bruce said:

Great news! Thanks for posting.

Over his first 37 games at Bowie, Hays has a batting line of .340/.374/.634.

Not too shabby.

5 minutes ago, Bowie-Bruce said:

Over his first 37 games at Bowie, Hays has a batting line of .340/.374/.634.

Not too shabby.

Is he a corner of?   He is coming fast. Maybe in Camden sometime next year. I saw even dj Stewart is coming g on.

34 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Is he a corner of?   He is coming fast. Maybe in Camden sometime next year. I saw even dj Stewart is coming g on.

Yep-Hays is amazing. So is Mullings, Hays has the edge.

And you know my feelings on Santander-what a bat (less defense obviously) but switch hitter. I can't believe the Indians exposed him to the Rule 5, but I am sure the Angels are saying that about us giving up Bridwell for cash LOL.

42 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Hays has played center, but from what I have read his MLB future would likely be one of the outfield corners.

1 hour ago, dshawg1 said:

Yep-Hays is amazing. So is Mullings, Hays has the edge.

And you know my feelings on Santander-what a bat (less defense obviously) but switch hitter. I can't believe the Indians exposed him to the Rule 5, but I am sure the Angels are saying that about us giving up Bridwell for cash LOL.

Can the os hide santander on rehab until Sept 1??? Even if he comes up in Sept he won't have enough time to be optioned out of spring training. Needs to be on roster a couple more months next year. Or he goes back to tribe.. they must of figured no one would bite with a shoulder injury.

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Can the os hide santander on rehab until Sept 1??? Even if he comes up in Sept he won't have enough time to be optioned out of spring training. Needs to be on roster a couple more months next year. Or he goes back to tribe.. they must of figured no one would bite with a shoulder injury.

No, Santander can only stay on his rehab assignment until August 15 before he has to be added to the major league roster. He needs 90 days on the active roster to become permanent. 

The obvious move would be to option Gentry with the understanding that he'd be brought back in September. Rickard is also a possibility, although he's been playing pretty well of late. The Orioles also have Hardy, Trumbo and Flash all nearing the end of their DL stints as well, so there will need to be some creative shuffling. I'd hate to have to lose Santander, not with the potential that bat has flashed down at Bowie.

Edited by mdrunning

52 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

No, Santander can only stay on his rehab assignment until August 15 before he has to be added to the major league roster. He needs 90 days on the active roster to become permanent. 

The obvious move would be to option Gentry with the understand that he'd be brought back in September. Rickard is also a possibility, although he's been playing pretty well of late. The Orioles also have Hardy, Trumbo and Flash all nearing the end of their DL stints as well, so there will need to be some creative shuffling. I'd hate to have to lose Santander, not with the potential that bat has flashed down at Bowie.

Oh man, the team is just starting to play  well. Now the deck needs sbuffled. Oh well, reality says This team isn't good enough so jam santander on roster. He is a blue chip bat.

2 hours ago, mdrunning said:

The obvious move would be to option Gentry with the understand that he'd be brought back in September. Rickard is also a possibility, although he's been playing pretty well of late. The Orioles also have Hardy, Trumbo and Flash all nearing the end of their DL stints as well, so there will need to be some creative shuffling. I'd hate to have to lose Santander, not with the potential that bat has flashed down at Bowie.

My guess is Gentry is first to go, they love Rickard and his defense is top notch BUT......Joey can be optioned. We will see.

Trumbo will return, the other 2 meh. Hardy is pretty much done. Flaherty must have pictures of somebody.

1 hour ago, dshawg1 said:

My guess is Gentry is first to go, they love Rickard and his defense is top notch BUT......Joey can be optioned. We will see.

Tejada will be gone when either Hardy and/or Flash returns.  No idea how you fit Beckham, Hardy and Flash on the roster with either a 3 man or 4 man bench.  They really need to delay Hardy's return till 1 Sept.  He will be not much help anyway.  Agree Gentry probably gone when Trumbs comes back.   

With all these position players coming back how do you stay with an 8 man pen???   I would gladly DL or DFA Tillman in order to keep Santander. That's a complete no brainer. Probably Hart goes down as he has not been good. Sending down Castillo would be foolish.  Him and Bleier have been very good pickups by DD.

6 hours ago, Bowie-Bruce said:

Hays has played center, but from what I have read his MLB future would likely be one of the outfield corners.

This thread has become my favorite read in the Orioles forum. Thanks for starting it. And keep adding to it. :)

3 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Tejada will be gone when either Hardy and/or Flash returns.  No idea how you fit Beckham, Hardy and Flash on the roster with either a 3 man or 4 man bench.  They really need to delay Hardy's return till 1 Sept.  He will be not much help anyway.  Agree Gentry probably gone when Trumbs comes back.   

With all these position players coming back how do you stay with an 8 man pen???   I would gladly DL or DFA Tillman in order to keep Santander. That's a complete no brainer. Probably Hart goes down as he has not been good. Sending down Castillo would be foolish.  Him and Bleier have been very good pickups by DD.

Good post. Something has to budge with the extra sp. Tillman to DL?

Bleier has been great, but in all fairness most of the million guy scouts he claims do or signed have been awful.

Agree on Hardy 199% lol, he's much better on rest. Or just don't recall Flaherty:) I think he has an option.

6 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

Good post. Something has to budge with the extra sp. Tillman to DL?

Bleier has been great, but in all fairness most of the million guy scouts he claims do or signed have been awful.

Agree on Hardy 199% lol, he's much better on rest. Or just don't recall Flaherty:) I think he has an option.

As I said, a player cannot be sent to the DL without his permission, and with at least five years service time, Tillman can refuse to be sent to the minors. If the Orioles could put Tillman on the DL, the problem would be solved since he could then go on a 30-day rehab assignment which would carry into September. I'd think if Tillman hadn't been an Oriole mainstay for a number of years, he probably would have been DFA'd by now.

With the emergence of Bleier, I think that makes Donnie Hart a bit more expendable should the Orioles need to create a roster space. 

9 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

This thread has become my favorite read in the Orioles forum. Thanks for starting it. And keep adding to it. :)

Much appreciated and you are welcome! Here's hoping that we see some of these prospects thrive in Baltimore like Mancini has done.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:35 AM, weird-O said:

Because of all the missed time this season, he'll still be a rule 5 guy next season. Hope he can get some time in this year, to better prepare him for next year. I hope he can catch a ball, because AJ is going to be flanked by him and Trey next year. Trey isn't a liability, but two questionable OFers makes for extra hits against the O's.

It seems pretty clear to me the O's are going to do whatever they can to keep Santander.  So he will be on roster next year for close to 2 months. assuming he plays a month or so this year.  So what you laid out with Mancini and Santander is a good reason to shop Trumbo this winter.  Plus I like what I see right now without the Davis/Trumbo K hole in middle of line up.  Trumbo is still a productive hitter and 2ys/25mil left on his deal is reasonable for most teams.  I could see a fit in KC, Tex or Oak. 

15 hours ago, mdrunning said:

As I said, a player cannot be sent to the DL without his permission, and with at least five years service time, Tillman can refuse to be sent to the minors. If the Orioles could put Tillman on the DL, the problem would be solved since he could then go on a 30-day rehab assignment which would carry into September. I'd think if Tillman hadn't been an Oriole mainstay for a number of years, he probably would have been DFA'd by now.

With the emergence of Bleier, I think that makes Donnie Hart a bit more expendable should the Orioles need to create a roster space. 

I understand you can't force someone to the DL:) But we all know that Santander could have probably played months ago too:)

I agree with you on Donnie Hart. I think he is indeed the guy (barring injury) that gets sent down temporarily.

Santander has 2 more homers tonight! And meanwhile our offense can't get it together. Here's a thought-bring up the guy with the red hit bat! 

Or you can stick with your guys! Heck, bring in Ubaldo!:)

9 hours ago, dshawg1 said:

Santander has 2 more homers tonight! And meanwhile our offense can't get it together. Here's a thought-bring up the guy with the red hit bat! 

Or you can stick with your guys! Heck, bring in Ubaldo!:)

Can this guy play the OF at all or is he limited to DH???   I see Seth Smith has a sore hammy again.  Get him on the DL and bring up Santander.  Next move will be Flash coming up and Tejada DFA.  If we can just keep Hardy on ice until 1 Sept. 

52 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Can this guy play the OF at all or is he limited to DH???   I see Seth Smith has a sore hammy again.  Get him on the DL and bring up Santander.  Next move will be Flash coming up and Tejada DFA.  If we can just keep Hardy on ice until 1 Sept. 

He has been playing RF-he looks okay-isn't going to win any gold gloves-probably somewhere between Trumbo and Smith.