Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaJellyBelly

Keeping Machado As An Oriole

47 posts in this topic

I think that we can all agree that to keep Machado.

The Orioles will have to pay an arm and three legs! :o 

If the Orioles were to make an announcement. That

in order to sign Manny to a lucrative long-term contract.

That they would need to raise the ticket prices. Do you

think that most fans would be accepting of that action

to keep Manny? <_< 

How about a Manny surtax on each ticket? :P

With the current payroll of 164mil, I see no reason why the O's couldn't squeeze 30 mil/yr for Manny in the coming years.  Just look at the salary we should be shedding next year - UJ, Hardy, Tillman and Miley are just shy of 50mil.  Of course the key is getting the young guys to step up and fill the vacancies. Its a catch 22.  If you keep Manny you have to get younger and cheaper at other positions.  Or have DD work his dumpster magic.

With that being said a big ticket increase shouldn't be necessary. 

The Orioles absolutely have to find a way to pay and keep Machado but they shouldn't have to raise ticket prices as Crouse points out. I don't care how they do it, but it needs to be done. A lot of fans will not only be very pissed off and disappointed if they don't sign Manny, but I think the Orioles will lose a portion of its fan base if they don't.

For whatever it's worth, on FS1 Rosenthal was just asked about the Orioles signing Machado and he said there currently no negotiations going on btwn Manny and the Orioles

The Orioles absolutely have to find a way to pay and keep Machado but they shouldn't have to raise ticket prices as Crouse points out. I don't care how they do it, but it needs to be done. A lot of fans will not only be very pissed off and disappointed if they don't sign Manny, but I think the Orioles will lose a portion of its fan base if they don't.

For whatever it's worth, on FS1 Rosenthal was just asked about the Orioles signing Machado and he said there currently no negotiations going on btwn Manny and the Orioles

Good point.  Yeah losing Manny will cause the loss of fans.  A once in 25 year player you cant let walk. Especially when he wants to be here.

There's very little correlation between player salaries and ticket prices, despite owners' claims to the contrary. Player salaries, no matter how high or how low, represent a fixed cost. Machado isn't going to make any less regardless of how many tickets the Orioles or whoever his future employer is might sell. Ticket prices represent an attempt to maximize profits, which is largely driven by supply and demand.

As noted before, the Orioles have two good options regarding Manny. The first is obviously the best--resigning him to a long term deal. The second option, only as a worst case scenario. is to trade him for what would be a huge haul of talent.

What absolutely, positively, undeniably and certifiably must not happen is to lose him to free agency. That would simply be unforgivable.

It seems pretty simple to me. You sign him. No one is falling for the, "We can't afford to compete with NY and Boston" shtick. The O's have the resources to keep him. And he wants to stay. He's not going to stay for pennies on the dollar though. Who would?

It seems pretty simple to me. You sign him. No one is falling for the, "We can't afford to compete with NY and Boston" shtick. The O's have the resources to keep him. And he wants to stay. He's not going to stay for pennies on the dollar though. Who would?

Yep a 164mil payroll says it all.  10th in ML.  With some of the salary coming off the books the next two years, it should be pretty easy to carve out a 30mil/yr slot for Manny.  Wonder if he will fall for the Angelos deferred money deal?

You either have to find a way to sign him or trade him.

You simply cannot just let him leave after 2018.

It's fan genocide.

I can see Angelos signing a decling Adam Jones to a big extension in order to placate the fans when Manny walks.

I can see Angelos signing a decling Adam Jones to a big extension in order to placate the fans when Manny walks.

And there's no guarantee Jones would want to stay here without Manny and a lesser chance of winning.

And there's no guarantee Jones would want to stay here without Manny and a lesser chance of winning.

Yes, good point.  But we cant keep everyone if Manny is making 30mil/yr.  Guys like Jones, Hardy, Britton, and Tillman most likely need to go. And UJ and Miley should have their bags packed.  Maybe Jones stays with a hometown discount.

Yes, good point.  But we cant keep everyone if Manny is making 30mil/yr.  Guys like Jones, Hardy, Britton, and Tillman most likely need to go. And UJ and Miley should have their bags packed.  Maybe Jones stays with a hometown discount.

Hardy, Miley and Ubaldo should be gone. Cheaper (and better) options will be available.

Britton probably should be traded, but I can see the O's giving him that closer money to keep him. Especially if they can't lock up Manny.

All depends on how Tillman comes back and performs. I think he could be signed at a bargain and if he's healthy and effective I wouldn't mind him coming back on a 3 year deal.

I would keep Tillman. With the caveat that he doesn't have serious arm trouble. Britton is nice to have, but Manny brings more to the team. If it's either/or, I choose Manny. Closers are easily replaceable. Jones brings leadership, I'd like to see him stay. Manny is the best player on the team, but it's Adam's team. He's the Cap't. Trade Davis, if need be. I have no problem with that. They'll just have to work around his partial no-trade clause.

Posted (edited)

I don't see Hardy back next year.  The Orioles hold a $14MM option that auto-vests if he gets 600PA (we're talking about JJ Hardy, so that's not happening).  UJ and Miley are gone for certain.  I would trade Britton while he still has value.  To me, closers are like running backs...a very short shelf-life.  I'm undecided on Tillman.

Edited by Thirteen

Unless he get 600 PA in 2017, I don't see Hardy back next year.  the Orioles hold a $14MM option that auto-vests if her gets 600PA.  UJ and Miley are gone for certain.  I would trade Britton while he still has value.  To me, closers are like running backs...a very short shelf-life.  I'm undecided on Tillman.

Yes agree on the Britton trade.  I think you have to do that early next winter whether you sign Manny or not.  Ideally you sign Manny early in the off season to an extension and move him to SS.  Then you trade Britton to save the 13 or 14 mil he would get in arbitration as well as picking up a young third baseman and stud prospect pitcher (and whatever other prospects you can squeeze.). 

Tillman is a wait and see for me as well.

I've touched on it a dozen times over the years, and will many more... but the list of teams I can sort of give the Orioles a pass on not being able to financially match dollar for dollar is very, very short and doesn't include the Red Sox. They maintain the larger share of financial interest in an RSN whose whole home market area is larger and whose median income is higher. Any failure to generate massive revenues given that geographic and demographic "golden egg" is nobody's fault but theirs.

Posted (edited)

One of my biggest concerns is that Machado may realize he wants to go to a team that truly has a commitment to winning the World Series, not a team that has a commitment to try and make the playoffs

Edited by BayAreaBmore

One of my biggest concerns is that Machado may realize he wants to go to a team that truly has a commitment to winning the World Series, not a team that has a commitment to try and make the playoffs

Why would the Orioles not want to win the World Series?

Posted (edited)

Why would the Orioles not want to win the World Series?

They'd love to win the World Series, I'm just not sure how truly committed they are to making that a reality. As fans we're all delighted at the fact that they're winning again, but will they take the next steps to get over the hump of being a competitive team that 'might' make the playoffs but aren't really a serious threat to win the WS?

Recently I'm not so convinced they are. They currently have the nucleas to build a World Series winning team but they haven't added the pieces to truly take the team and organization to the next level.

And looking forward, if they don't make a serious effort to sign and pay Manny in order to build WS contending teams around arguably the best player in the game we'll all definitively know the answer to that question.

Edited by BayAreaBmore

I'm saying this as a lifelong Yankee fan (CT>FL>MD). I have several friends who are O's fans, and yeah, I married one. I have to live here. For the love of whatever it is you call holy: please extend him so that he doesn't inevitably wind up in NY. Let the Yankees back the truck up for Harper. 

I'm saying this as a lifelong Yankee fan (CT>FL>MD). I have several friends who are O's fans, and yeah, I married one. I have to live here. For the love of whatever it is you call holy: please extend him so that he doesn't inevitably wind up in NY. Let the Yankees back the truck up for Harper. 

You'd rather have Harper than Machado?  Call me a homer, but I'd take Machado over any young position player in the game, save for maybe Altuve and Trout.