Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaJellyBelly

Keeping Machado As An Oriole

47 posts in this topic

You'd rather have Harper than Machado?  Call me a homer, but I'd take Machado over any young position player in the game, save for maybe Altuve and Trout.

Yes. Because I have to live here in Baltimore with a wife who is an O's fan, and maintain relationships with several people who are also O's fans. I've lived here for almost 20 years, and many of those years the O's stunk. Broken-willed Oriole fans are a sad lot. I don't want any part of Machado as a Yankee.

I'm selfishly pleading to Angelos to get'er done!

Yes. Because I have to live here in Baltimore with a wife who is an O's fan, and maintain relationships with several people who are also O's fans. I've lived here for almost 20 years, and many of those years the O's stunk. Broken-willed Oriole fans are a sad lot. I don't want any part of Machado as a Yankee.

I'm selfishly pleading to Angelos to get'er done!

Well, when you put it that way...

I haven't been following is there speculation that Harper won't return to Nats? I gotta imagine they want to keep him

They'd love to win the World Series, I'm just not sure how truly committed they are to making that a reality. As fans we're all delighted at the fact that they're winning again, but will they take the next steps to get over the hump of being a competitive team that 'might' make the playoffs but aren't really a serious threat to win the WS?

Recently I'm not so convinced they are. They currently have the nucleas to build a World Series winning team but they haven't added the pieces to truly take the team and organization to the next level.

And looking forward, if they don't make a serious effort to sign and pay Manny in order to build WS contending teams around arguably the best player in the game we'll all definitively know the answer to that question.

But if they sign Machado, will the Orioles have the additional resources to put a contending team around him? One prerequisite of signing a player to a contract that size is to have sufficient home-grown talent that will work cheaply for the first few years to help offset that big contract. The Orioles blue-chip prospects are few and far between right now, so signing Machado doesn't guarantee that the Orioles will be better, only more expensive.

But if they sign Machado, will the Orioles have the additional resources to put a contending team around him? One prerequisite of signing a player to a contract that size is to have sufficient home-grown talent that will work cheaply for the first few years to help offset that big contract. The Orioles blue-chip prospects are few and far between right now, so signing Machado doesn't guarantee that the Orioles will be better, only more expensive.

That's a good point. The hope is a couple years from now they'll have developed some more prospects who are MLB ready.

And they'll certainly have a higher payroll if they sign Manny and want to continue to have a contending team. Price of doing business in MLB these days I guess unless you get lucky with a team like KC a couple years back

Well, when you put it that way...

What can I say, I want what's best for me and me alone. If the greater Baltimore area were to benefit from my selfish demands, then so be it!

I've touched on it a dozen times over the years, and will many more... but the list of teams I can sort of give the Orioles a pass on not being able to financially match dollar for dollar is very, very short and doesn't include the Red Sox. They maintain the larger share of financial interest in an RSN whose whole home market area is larger and whose median income is higher. Any failure to generate massive revenues given that geographic and demographic "golden egg" is nobody's fault but theirs.

Yes the Orioles with a 164mil payroll for 2017 are playing with the big boys now.  The"we are a small market team"  excuse to not sign Manny is bogus.  Pete and his baby boys are complete jack wagons when it comes to running a team,  but they are ponying up the cash the last couple years,  Its hard to believe that just in 2012 the payroll was at 92 mil.   So its about time Pete start plowing back his massive MASN profits back into the team.  He can afford Manny. 

I would give Manny whatever he wants for the first 5 years of a 12 year deal. After year 5 the opt outs kick in where Manny would likely opt out to restructure his deal (if he's owed more based on the market) or if he wants to go to another team.

I'd love for him to be a career Oriole, but I especially want him to be an Oriole for the next 6 years.

I expect Manny to be gone. I've already made peace with it.

I expect Manny to be gone. I've already made peace with it.

:lol: I don't know why this made me laugh, but it did. 

It's totally understandable.  

I'd pay that in a heartbeat for Machado.

$33/yr?

Oh Hellz Yeah. As Jim Bowden likes to say, let's schedule the press conference.  B)

Posted (edited)

$420 million?!?

Olee Chit, Main!

http://www.espn.com/blog/the-gms-office/insider/post?id=1412

Absolutely mind-boggling numbers.

Machado estimates:

Based on 182 games (162 + max 20 post season): $181,218 per game

Based on 9 months work: $3,666,666 per month

Based on 648 plate appearances: $50,925 per plate appearance

Based on 365 days: $90,410 per day - except in Leap Years :-)

Compared to: "The U.S. Census Bureau reported in September 2014 that: U.S. real (inflation adjusted) median household income was$51,939 in 2013 versus $51,758 in 2012, statistically unchanged. In 2013, real median household income was 8.0 percent lower than in 2007, the year before the latest recession."

Edited monthly estimate. Yowser!!!

Edited by Struds

Posted (edited)

You're worth what people will pay you. Howard Stern got $500 million to talk on satellite radio 4 days a week, now down to 3 with a 1-week vacation every 4 weeks.

Machado is probably one of the 5 best baseball players in the world and he's going to hit FA at 26. Kid will get paid either way.

Edited by Pickle20

Machado estimates:

Based on 9 months work: $366,666 per month

Compared to: "The U.S. Census Bureau reported in September 2014 that: U.S. real (inflation adjusted) median household income was$51,939 in 2013 versus $51,758 in 2012, statistically unchanged. In 2013, real median household income was 8.0 percent lower than in 2007, the year before the latest recession."

Truly insane. He'll make more make per plate appearance thank many people make in an entire year. That is outrageous.

Also just a heads up your monthly number appears off. Just missed a few zeros I think

Posted (edited)

Machado estimates:

Based on 9 months work: $366,666 per month

Truly insane. He'll make more make per plate appearance than many people make in an entire year (or even two years). That is outrageous.

Also just a heads up your monthly number appears off. Just missed a few zeros I think (or 6's rather)

Edited by BayAreaBmore

Posted (edited)

Truly insane. He'll make more make per plate appearance than many people make in an entire year (or even two years). That is outrageous.

Also just a heads up your monthly number appears off. Just missed a few zeros I think (or 6's rather)

Either my math or my typing; both are poor. Probably should have been 3.6 million per month. Edited by Struds

Either my math or my typing; both are poor. Probably should have been 3.6 million per month.

Haha yea I figured it was just a typo

Haha yea I figured it was just a typo

Went back and fixed it shaking my head at my error. Then, I thought about the correct number: $3.66 million PER MONTH! Holy crap. Not counting social security and my pension, I will not have earned that much in my lifetime. Now I'm shaking my head for another reason.????

You're worth what people will pay you. Howard Stern got $500 million to talk on satellite radio 4 days a week, now down to 3 with a 1-week vacation every 4 weeks.

Machado is probably one of the 5 best baseball players in the world and he's going to hit FA at 26. Kid will get paid either way.

No doubt, and I do not begrudge Manny his opportunity. But the market really has become ridiculous. And, yeah, I know I contribute to it by going to games and etc., But still...