Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Twister

With lethal injection drugs expiring, Arkansas plans unprecedented seven executions in 11 days

90 posts in this topic

The state’s midazolam supply is set to expire at the end of April, officials say. And with no clear answer about whether the state will be able to obtain a new set of drugs, Hutchinson said he had little choice but to set the dates.

The seven inmates still facing execution all were convicted of capital murder. All are men; four are black and three are white. They all received their sentences by the year 2000, and some of them have been on death row for a quarter-century or longer. 

Arkansas officials blame the packed April execution schedule on the drug shortage, which has sent states scrambling for replacement chemicals and, in some cases, has caused them to contemplate other methods of execution. After the lengthy lull in executions — owing to legal challenges and the drug shortage — Arkansas state authorities say the lethal injections scheduled between April 17 and April 27 are overdue.

Most executions are carried out with little public notice, but the scheduling in Arkansas has drawn remarkable national scrutiny and criticism for the executions being scheduled back-to-back on four days in an 11-day span.

Justice delayed is justice denied.  Strap 'em down and carry out the lawful sentences forthwith.

Well, being locked up for life is "justice," just not the kind of justice that some want. I understand that many favor capital punishment but I will always be against it. It just does not seem necessary for a civilized society to resort to violence in order to carry out justice. To each their own.

Well, being locked up for life is "justice," just not the kind of justice that some want. I understand that many favor capital punishment but I will always be against it. It just does not seem necessary for a civilized society to resort to violence in order to carry out justice. To each their own.

I'm with you com.  A society that kills is no better than those it seeks to kill.  We should be better than that.

They should bring back public hangings. The rope doesn't expire.

I agree with you on this.  I've always been against capital punishment.  It's not justice, it's revenge.

This is not a cause for celebration. Well, except in twisted minds.

I agree. You cannot be both pro-life and pro-death penalty at the same time. If life is sacred, life is sacred for everyone - even those who commit heinous crimes.

As long as there is a very high bar for appeals.  We don't need to provide a lawyer for prisoners in for life who spend their time reading law books and putting us through 60 years of appeal after appeal occupying overworked prosecutors, who have better things to do than relitigating a murder trial for the fourth time.  

Posted (edited)

The government should not have the power to take the lives of its citizens .....

They can't be trusted with that much power ......

Edited by Eastside Terp

I agree. You cannot be both pro-life and pro-death penalty at the same time. If life is sacred, life is sacred for everyone - even those who commit heinous crimes.

That sums up my beliefs pretty succinctly; thanks.

Even though I am pro-choice and pro-capital punishment, I disagree with your statement. Pro-death penalty supporters believe that those who commit the crime of taking another's life have forfeited the right to their own. Pro life supporters believe that aborting the life of an unborn child is murder. The difference in the two actions is that the murderer has freely chosen to extinguish the life of another human being and thus should pay with his own. The aborted child has committed no crime, except to be unwanted by the person conceiving that child. Support or opposition to either depends on one's own judgment, but it is possible to be pro-life and pro-death penalty at the same time.

Even though I am pro-choice and pro-capital punishment, I disagree with your statement. Pro-death penalty supporters believe that those who commit the crime of taking another's life have forfeited the right to their own. Pro life supporters believe that aborting the life of an unborn child is murder. The difference in the two actions is that the murderer has freely chosen to extinguish the life of another human being and thus should pay with his own. The aborted child has committed no crime, except to be unwanted by the person conceiving that child. Support or opposition to either depends on one's own judgment, but it is possible to be pro-life and pro-death penalty at the same time.

The Pope doesn't agree with you.

And I would care about that why? If the pope ever runs for office in the US, I will take his positions to heart when considering whether or not to vote for him. Otherwise his opinion means nothing to me.

Isn't he they guy that says we should take all refuges and not build the wall.  While he lives behind a 40 foot high wall?

Isn't he they guy that says we should take all refuges and not build the wall.  While he lives behind a 40 foot high wall?

Ha! I love your talking points and your misinterpretations.

And I would care about that why? If the pope ever runs for office in the US, I will take his positions to heart when considering whether or not to vote for him. Otherwise his opinion means nothing to me.

It sounds like you are drawing some sort of equivalency between American politicians and morality. That must be very confusing for you at times. 

Yea, he wears very silly looking hats too.

The government should not have the power to take the lives of its citizens .....

They can't be trusted with that much power ......

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

Damn, common ground.

Does that scare you as much as it does me?

It sounds like you are drawing some sort of equivalency between American politicians and morality. That must be very confusing for you at times.

Not at all. I realize that politicians have no morality. What makes you think the pope's positions are based on high moral values? When the pope applies the same moral standards he espouses to the rest of the world on the priests serving under him maybe I will take his opinions a bit more seriously. Then again, maybe not. Simply put, I don't place any higher value on the pope's opinion than I would anyone else.

I think the death penalty should remain on the table for serial murders, committing a murder while already serving a life sentence, murdering a law enforcement officer, or ordering a hit on a witness.  States should keep a backup death penalty method in place besides legal injection.  Otherwise it is too easy for capital punishment opponents to pressure drug companies not the sell the required drugs needed for lethal injection as a way to hinder executions.

They should bring back public hangings. The rope doesn't expire.

yeeeeeeeeee haaaaaawwwwwwwwwww... keyboard cowboy! :rolleyes:

Not at all. I realize that politicians have no morality. What makes you think the pope's positions are based on high moral values? When the pope applies the same moral standards he espouses to the rest of the world on the priests serving under him maybe I will take his opinions a bit more seriously. Then again, maybe not. Simply put, I don't place any higher value on the pope's opinion than I would anyone else.

You simply cannot be pro-life and pro-death penalty at the same time without being hypocritical.

You simply cannot be pro-life and pro-death penalty at the same time without being hypocritical.

Nor can you be pro-abortion and anti-death penalty without the same judgment. 

Nor can you be pro-abortion and anti-death penalty without the same judgment. 

I agree.