Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

GA session is over and what did it do for YOU?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:46 AM

Well once again the GA made sure that the 'feel good' niche stuff and take care of BC stuff was taken care of as always. But failed once again to protect MD citizens.

https://shar.es/1QEz8b

Specifically waiting till the last minute to work-on/pass a bill that protects internet users from Trumps roll-back of the sale etc of personnel information to ANYBODY that a provider may collect on YOU.Shouldn't that have been one of the first things?

Also, conveniently they failed to pass a bill that would take control of defining voting districts out of the politicians hands and put it into an independent group. Geeeeee I wonder why that happened. :rolleyes:

Of course some good things did pass. :cool:  It is now legal for bears to be shot by beekeepers, poultry farms can no longer use antibiotics (look for chicken to go up) and of course more money to be thrown at treating the symptoms of heroin addiction instead of focusing on the dealers that provide it.

Oh yeah on an upbeat note, supposedly retirees may get some sort of tax break.... I am trying to find the details on that one....but I have no high hopes that it will be anything worth mentioning. I have an email into the reporter for more details I will pass them on if I get them.

So that are my thoughts....what are yours?

Edited by Guido2, 11 April 2017 - 07:50 AM.

#2 stevez51

stevez51

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,175 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:10 PM

If Ken says nothing, nothing happened .........

#3 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:25 PM

If Ken says nothing, nothing happened .........

The general lack of response is very surprising to me. Guess the libs are fat and happy and cons. have given up. :D ;)

#4 Woodbuchr

Woodbuchr

Moonset at the Badlands SD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:27 PM

Well, once again the bill to allow motorcyclists freedom of choice on helmet use was killed in committee. A bill was passed to raise the limit on handlebar height to 20" above the seat from 15" above the seat. This allows for those riders who are more comfortable with higher bars to legally raise them 5". A more comfortable rider is a safer rider.

That's what it did and didn't do for me.

Also no break on taxing retirement income for the regular folks and no good changes in gun laws.

Just because you have no interest in politics
Doesn't mean they have no interest in you
Pericles 461 BC

#5 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:58 PM

Well, once again the bill to allow motorcyclists freedom of choice on helmet use was killed in committee. A bill was passed to raise the limit on handlebar height to 20" above the seat from 15" above the seat. This allows for those riders who are more comfortable with higher bars to legally raise them 5". A more comfortable rider is a safer rider.

Also no break on taxing retirement income for the regular folks and no good changes in gun laws.

Regular folks? Vs People that have to take Ex lax. ;)

Funny in the article they mentioned that there was some sort of break (very small) for the retired and military/police. Hmmm maybe since the gooberment provides diapers for poor kids maybe the elderly can write off Depends?

Baaaah dump bump....thank you ladies and germs....I will be here all week....tip your waiters. :D

Kidding aside. But you see  what you mentioned is the niche feel good stuff I was talking about. I know you are concern about bike stuff...but in the big picture...so what? What percentage of people in MD ride a motorcycle?

Now on the other hand....how many people use a computer and the internet? And what did the GA do about protecting our data from being sold? Zip.

They said ohhhh we ran out of time ....well yah...messing with stupid (sorry) stuff.

The excuse they also offer is that it is too complex. Well duh, simply copy what the FEDS were supposed to do and make it what the STATE will do.

Or is that just too much common sense?

Edited by Guido2, 11 April 2017 - 04:07 PM.

#6 overtaxed

overtaxed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:17 PM

I do ride a motorcycle and do wear a helmet. As for the choice of wearing one or not.  Just increase the minimum medical insurance requirement for those that don't want to wear one.

Don't see the issue of handlebar height.  I can't use the ape hangers, but don't care if someone else wants them.

I see they put the road bill on hold.  I guess that is hoping they get a dem gov next time around.  That way they can put the money back towards a subway the state can't even begin to afford.

I don't ever see this state dropping taxes. 

#7 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:30 PM

I do ride a motorcycle and do wear a helmet. As for the choice of wearing one or not.  Just increase the minimum medical insurance requirement for those that don't want to wear one.

Don't see the issue of handlebar height.  I can't use the ape hangers, but don't care if someone else wants them.

I see they put the road bill on hold.  I guess that is hoping they get a dem gov next time around.  That way they can put the money back towards a subway the state can't even begin to afford.

I don't ever see this state dropping taxes. 

I used to ride...then I moved to MD and I knew I would be dead within a year. I have no problem if one does or doesn't ride with a helmet and your idea about increasing the minimum is a good one.

But here in the peoples republic control of the unwashed is key. Look at smoking.. same thing.

I am sure that what you are saying about the road bill is true. I think I would also add that they realized that if they started chopping roads and stuff OUTSIDE OF THE CITY...a LOT of them would be looking for a new job. If you can call what they do a job. And they would give Hogan a big voting boost as a bonus.

They didn't do it for Hogan and the citizens they did it to CTAs.

Edited by Guido2, 11 April 2017 - 04:34 PM.

#8 blowboatbethesda

blowboatbethesda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:51 PM

I'm sorry, Wood, but the "apehanger" (I can't wait for the comments) handlebars are dangerous on East Coast roads, as are the extended "raked" front forks. Both defy conventional safe handling  characteristics for motorcycles, particularly in  emergency situations. 

Are you one of those that oppose helmet regulations, as (was once told to me) the rider's head is harder than the roadway pavement? 

#9 boink

boink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:30 PM

Did the bill banning coal rolling pass?

As a bicyclist I was hoping so.

http://wtop.com/mary...ng-in-maryland/

#10 Bartman

Bartman

General Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationBaltimore City

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:38 PM

If not for my helmet way back in '72 or '73, I wouldn't be here now. It was a guy in a Ford Torino coming the other way that decided to make a left turn in front of my face and I had just a couple seconds to clamp down on the brakes before I T-Boned him. Still don't remember anything of the crash, just waking up in the hospital emergency room not knowing what happened till they told me I was in an accident. Goodbye to my pretty Honda 750 Four but I survived after 3-4 mos of recuperation and another surgery. As far as the more radical bikes, I drove one friends Chopper with a raked springer front end around the block and got off it and told him to keep it, it was just squirrelly to me. Another friend had one of those Kawasaki 3 cyl 2 stroke Rockets. Don't remember if it was a 500 or 750 but the throttle had only two settings,it was either On or off, that was a tad scary too. I haven't ridden since. After that I took Flying lessons at Essex Skypark and earned my Private ticket. My family truly thought I went Nuts but those years when I Flew were some of my Happiest times. Problem was Girls would hop on your bike in a second, go up for a flight, not so much. Oh Well.

Edited by Bartman, 11 April 2017 - 05:41 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't try to tell me that what I see with my own two eyes ISN'T what I'm seeing with my own two eyes!

#11 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:40 PM

Ok this is a new one to me. Your telling me that they actually modify the truck diesel so it lays down  smoke like a WW2 destroyer. Amazing... I don't disbelieve you.

But to me....why another law....wouldn't just modifying the engine by itself  be a violation? Or just the smoke coming out be an EPA violation?

You would know better ....than I. But to me the bottom line is WHO IS GOING TO ENFORCE IT? And how? A cop would have to be right there .... a near impossibility.

For God sake the cops won't even enforce the cell phone use laws! I had high hopes about that....but it is pretty much another feel good law with no teeth. Seems this would be another.

But better luck next time.

#12 blowboatbethesda

blowboatbethesda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:04 PM

That's the first time i've read or heard  the term.

For future readers here's the definition: 

Rolling coal is the practice of intentionally disabling the programming of a computer-controlled diesel engine, so that the vehicle can emit an under-aspirated sootyexhaust that visibly pollutes the air.

As a bicyclist, how do you know that a truck is "rolling coal" or merely transporting cargo under a full load? 

Just curious.

#13 blowboatbethesda

blowboatbethesda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:17 PM

Ok this is a new one to me. Your telling me that they actually modify the truck diesel so it lays down  smoke like a WW2 destroyer. Amazing... I don't disbelieve you.

But to me....why another law....wouldn't just modifying the engine by itself  be a violation? Or just the smoke coming out be an EPA violation?

You would know better ....than I. But to me the bottom line is WHO IS GOING TO ENFORCE IT? And how? A cop would have to be right there .... a near impossibility.

For God sake the cops won't even enforce the cell phone use laws! I had high hopes about that....but it is pretty much another feel good law with no teeth. Seems this would be another.

Guido, there are a few diesel pickup truck drivers out there who's first modification to their trucks is to run a huge 4 or 5 inch vertical exhaust pipe through the bed of their truck, imitating a "big rig."

The trucks are usually Dodge Ram 2500's, with a few Ford F-2 or 350's, mostly with dual rear wheels.

I have no idea if the practice (in addition to engine computer alterations) has any effect on visible emissions, NO2, SO2 or other pollutants.

I have a serious question, Does  boink get upset each time an MTA bus passes him, spewing the same exhaust? :confused:

Government owned public transportation is always granted an "exception" to the rules.  :cool:  <_<

:rolleyes:  :confused:

#14 boink

boink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:32 PM

yes

#15 boink

boink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:33 PM

That's the first time i've read or heard  the term.

For future readers here's the definition: 

Rolling coal is the practice of intentionally disabling the programming of a computer-controlled diesel engine, so that the vehicle can emit an under-aspirated sootyexhaust that visibly pollutes the air.

As a bicyclist, how do you know that a truck is "rolling coal" or merely transporting cargo under a full load? 

Just curious.

the cloud of diesel exhaust from coal rolling is like a blanket

#16 blowboatbethesda

blowboatbethesda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:43 PM

the cloud of diesel exhaust from coal rolling is like a blanket

Really? does it keep you warm at night?

#17 workerbee

workerbee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,556 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:07 PM

TERM LIMITS NOW!

#18 Woodbuchr

Woodbuchr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:00 PM

Kidding aside. But you see  what you mentioned is the niche feel good stuff I was talking about. I know you are concern about bike stuff...but in the big picture...so what? What percentage of people in MD ride a motorcycle?

Now on the other hand....how many people use a computer and the internet? And what did the GA do about protecting our data from being sold? Zip.

The thread title is

GA session is over and what did it do for YOU?

I responded to the question correctly. That is what it did for me. Whether niche stuff or not.

Pericles 461 BC

#19 Woodbuchr

Woodbuchr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:02 PM

Yes, it passed.

http://mgaleg.maryla...ject3&ys=2017RS

Pericles 461 BC

#20 Woodbuchr

Woodbuchr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:22 PM

I'm sorry, Wood, but the "apehanger" (I can't wait for the comments) handlebars are dangerous on East Coast roads, as are the extended "raked" front forks. Both defy conventional safe handling  characteristics for motorcycles, particularly in  emergency situations. 

Are you one of those that oppose helmet regulations, as (was once told to me) the rider's head is harder than the roadway pavement? 

The bill only added 5" to the legal limit and did not legalize unlimited apes like PA did recently and many other states already do.

For taller riders and some with shoulder issues adding the 5" makes the rider more comfortable and as I stated earlier a more comfortable rider is a safer rider. Higher bars do not necessarily defy safe handling characteristics. Up to a point they are rider dependent.

My opinions.

I do oppose Maryland's current mandatory helmet law. I believe it should be the operator's choice. I did not intend to change the thread to a helmet choice thread. I just answered the thread question as to what the GA did for me. In this case they did kill the bill to allow helmet choice for riders over 21 with two years experience or who have passed a recognized motorcycle safety course.

Edited by Woodbuchr, 11 April 2017 - 08:22 PM.

Pericles 461 BC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users