Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

GA session is over and what did it do for YOU?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 blowboatbethesda

blowboatbethesda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:07 PM

Thanks for your response.  I'm well over 6' and never had any need or want for apehanger bars. There's no practical performance, efficiency, handling or safety engineering  qualifications for equipping a bike with them.  

#22 boink

boink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,594 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:17 AM

See how this plays out...

https://www.washingt...m=.8c75cc6e9137

Maryland lawmakers scrap requirement that transit systems cover some of their operating costs

Maryland lawmakers have voted to scrap a state requirement that bus and rail systems cover at least 35 percent of their operating costs through ticket revenue.

Supporters of the change say the “farebox recovery ratio” mandate, which has been in place since at least the 1990s, discouraged the state from investing in transit systems to make them more appealing and, in turn, increase revenue. It particularly hurts bus and light-rail service in Baltimore, supporters said.

#23 Norman

Norman

Go away you little gnat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,087 posts
  • LocationCoke Butler

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:33 AM

I do oppose Maryland's current mandatory helmet law. I believe it should be the operator's choice. I did not intend to change the thread to a helmet choice thread. I just answered the thread question as to what the GA did for me. In this case they did kill the bill to allow helmet choice for riders over 21 with two years experience or who have passed a recognized motorcycle safety course.

How would they enforce that?  It would seem that to do so, they would have to pull over every biker not wearing a helmet.

#24 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,045 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:09 AM

The better question to ask is what did it do TO you.

Edited by Saticon3, 12 April 2017 - 09:09 AM.

#25 Woodbuchr

Woodbuchr

Moonset at the Badlands SD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,379 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:22 AM

How would they enforce that? It would seem that to do so, they would have to pull over every biker not wearing a helmet.

As I said I didn't want to turn this into a motorcycle helmet thread but I will respond. It is no different than the police not pulling over every driver they see to check if they have a driver's license or current insurance as required by law. They would still need a reason to stop you and then if you didn't meet the requirements you could be cited.
Just because you have no interest in politics
Doesn't mean they have no interest in you
Pericles 461 BC

#26 overtaxed

overtaxed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:49 AM

Maryland lawmakers scrap requirement that transit systems cover some of their operating costs

Maryland lawmakers have voted to scrap a state requirement that bus and rail systems cover at least 35 percent of their operating costs through ticket revenue.

Supporters of the change say the “farebox recovery ratio” mandate, which has been in place since at least the 1990s, discouraged the state from investing in transit systems to make them more appealing and, in turn, increase revenue. It particularly hurts bus and light-rail service in Baltimore, supporters said.

After reading your linked article.  I found this little tidbit interesting.

The legislation originally included five performance standards in lieu of the farebox recovery requirement. However, committees in both the House and Senate removed the performance standards, which the MTA had opposed being written into state law.

So you now have a transit system with no requirements to cover any of the cost and no requirement to be held to any performance.

What could go wrong, after all, as KKT famously said.  Maryland is a rich state.

Oh, I wonder if this Brian O'Malley is related to any former maryland politicians?

#27 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:06 PM

The thread title is

I responded to the question correctly. That is what it did for me. Whether niche stuff or not.

Ok point taken.

But from what I read in yours and some of the other postings. The REAL issues ....were  for the most part shxt canned. Like protecting your internet data. Is that a fair assessment.

BTW I apologize if you think I was dismissing your points. I was not.

#28 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:12 PM

I want you or anybody to explain THAT logic. I think I am fairly smart but that thinking escapes me entirely.

Well since my TAX dollars in effect now become sole source of revenue needed to fund buses and the Marc line. That means it will be free from now on...right? Heck I am paying for it already why do I have to pay again? ;) :rolleyes: :o Oh and the services will always run on time and and and. :D

Wonder how long it will be before the NAACP file suit under that auspice.

Edited by Guido2, 12 April 2017 - 02:14 PM.

#29 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:20 PM

How would they enforce that?  It would seem that to do so, they would have to pull over every biker not wearing a helmet.

Just like they enforce the use of cell while driving laws. NOT AT ALL.

They should change the signs on the Interstate roads.....

Welcome to Maryland, the state of many many laws, which generally are NOT enforced, except under weird circumstances.

I can probably count on both hands the number of times I have passed a cell-er ....weaving back and forth chatting or texting away. Only to see a trooper that was not far behind me pass that same car and not do squat. Note as he passed I had observed in my rear view mirror that car swerving as before.

#30 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:24 PM

After reading your linked article.  I found this little tidbit interesting.

The legislation originally included five performance standards in lieu of the farebox recovery requirement. However, committees in both the House and Senate removed the performance standards, which the MTA had opposed being written into state law.

So you now have a transit system with no requirements to cover any of the cost and no requirement to be held to any performance.

What could go wrong, after all, as KKT famously said.  Maryland is a rich state.

Oh, I wonder if this Brian O'Malley is related to any former maryland politicians?

Ahhhh look for performance to go down....and the MTA putting its hand out for more tax dollars....claiming that because there is no farebox requirement that revenue is down. And since it is down...they can not upgrade things to improve performance since they don't have the money they used to get from farebox.

A variation of the now famous 'circle firing squad'. Or a dog chasing its tail. IMO.

If my comments makes no sense to you.....then you haven't been following the news.

Edited by Guido2, 12 April 2017 - 02:27 PM.

#31 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,717 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:18 PM

Helmet laws save lives. The uninsured idiot who get badly hurt I have to pay his medical bills. 

#32 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,045 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:30 PM

Posted Today, 01:18 PM

Helmet laws save lives. The uninsured idiot who get badly hurt I have to pay his medical bills. 

Not justification for mandatory helmet law IMO, just charge them higher insurance-- that's what they do here in FL.

Edited by Saticon3, 13 April 2017 - 02:30 PM.

#33 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:03 AM

Not justification for mandatory helmet law IMO, just charge them higher insurance-- that's what they do here in FL.

And this is different that the idiots that shoot each other up and go to the emergency ward get patched up and do it again? :o

#34 Woodbuchr

Woodbuchr

Moonset at the Badlands SD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,379 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:57 PM

Okay you want to go there let's go there.

So, I have to pay for people's oxygen tanks who could afford two or three packs a day but couldn't afford health insurance. I never smoked a day in my life.

I have to pay for children born to children (or even adults for that matter) who don't have insurance but couldn't be bothered to get free birth control or use free condoms that are dished out at almost every health center yet I paid for every part of my sons being raised.

I pay for heroin overdose victims who don't have health care yet I have never used heroin in my life.

I'm sure I help pay for people injured in bicycle accidents who don't have insurance yet helmets are not required on bicycles for adults in Maryland.

I pay for all kinds of things that other people do that gets them hurt that I don't do so IF I was to need some help with medical bills (I say if because I have very good health insurance) when is it my turn?

Helmets save lives? Sure they can. There are people who receive head injuries in car accidents so do you wear helmets when riding in cars? If not, why not? Helmets save lives.

In 2015, which was the last year I could get full numbers for from MIEMSS (which if you didn't know is the Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services Systems), MIEMSS handled 282 motorcycle accidents where a head injury was present and of those 28 subsequently died. In the same year MIEMSS handled 2178 automobile accidents where a head injury was present and of those 74 died. So if 28 deaths warrant motorcyclists being required to wear helmets shouldn't 74 deaths be enough to warrant auto riders to wear helmets? Sure there are more cars so the percentage is lower but the raw number should be enough.

Do either of you believe in a woman's right to choose on abortion? If yes because it's her body her choice where does her body stop? At her neck? If it's her body her choice shouldn't that cover her whole body so shouldn't she get to choose on helmets? And by extension every man's body should be his and his choice.

Do you both wear helmets in your cars? Do you pay extra insurance for not wearing them? Somehow I doubt it.

Yeah, freedom is scary.

I'm done with this but if you would like to continue the debate feel free to start a thread about it instead of hijacking this one as I asked not to do. I have plenty more info for you.

Edited by Woodbuchr, 14 April 2017 - 06:42 PM.

Just because you have no interest in politics
Doesn't mean they have no interest in you
Pericles 461 BC

#35 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:49 PM

The better question to ask is what did it do TO you.

Actually in my case it was one of those rare times when I didn't feel like 'and I didn't even get kissed'.

But I would say postponing the road evaluation project bill was sort of a win.

Which kind of worries me.....I figure the lib/dem GA will double down next year for some asinine things to lighten my wallet.

Edited by Guido2, 14 April 2017 - 05:51 PM.

#36 Papi

Papi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts
  • LocationHarford County Maryland

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:33 PM

That's the first time i've read or heard  the term.

For future readers here's the definition: 

Rolling coal is the practice of intentionally disabling the programming of a computer-controlled diesel engine, so that the vehicle can emit an under-aspirated sootyexhaust that visibly pollutes the air.

As a bicyclist, how do you know that a truck is "rolling coal" or merely transporting cargo under a full load? 

Just curious.

I have seen it on large pickup trucks with an empty bed (typically with a raised suspension and ignorantly large tires and wheels). Usually with large vertical dual exhausts that come up behind the cab. Loud, smelly, and ugly. I guess they must re-install the required controls for their periodic emissions tests, and then remove them again. Stupid macho thing I suppose. 

Edited by Papi, 14 April 2017 - 06:34 PM.

#37 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,198 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:44 AM

The less they do, the happier I am .....

Unless of course the want to start repealing some of the laws and regulations in place ......
They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#38 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:38 AM

Happy Saturday everyone.

Well you may remember I was wondering about possible tax cuts for regular retirees. Seems at least a small percentage (category) is getting a break. Glad for them...kind of sucks for the rest of us. Delaware is sounding better and better all the time :D

Hometown Heroes Legislation Sponsored By Delegate Hixson Was Adopted By Both Chambers Of The General Assembly, Will Provide Tax Relief To First Responders And Emergency Response Personnel; The First $15,000 Of Retirement Income For First Responders And Emergency Personnel .......

Bet the cops are feeling a bit dissed. And why does ex-military only get a 5000 threshold?

https://www.rapidtax...retirement-pay/

#39 mrdeltoid

mrdeltoid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:26 PM

I'm sorry, Wood, but the "apehanger" (I can't wait for the comments) handlebars are dangerous on East Coast roads, as are the extended "raked" front forks. Both defy conventional safe handling  characteristics for motorcycles, particularly in  emergency situations. 

Are you one of those that oppose helmet regulations, as (was once told to me) the rider's head is harder than the roadway pavement? 

Wood is correct. I love my bars because I am 6'5" and have had 3 back surgeries. Bending forward while riding thousands of miles a year is a killer for me. And they aren't dangerous at all. Once you get passed 15-20 MPH you're counter steering, which for me is much easier with my ape's. The grips are about 6 inches above my shoulder level, very comfortable. BTW I got to use the swerve maneuver last year as some uninsured butthead cager decided to stop completely in the fast lane. Imagine my surprise as I rounded the curve and there he was, stopped dead! Although I got between his car and the jersey barrier, I still got a trip to shock trauma and after 2 leg surgeries I am getting ready for a hip replacement. So I very much appreciate the lobbyists that help us bikers out. As for what percentage of Marylanders ride motorcycles I have no idea. I only care about 1% of them. ;)  And I am for helmet choice. Does it make sense that a woman can go to a Dr. and abort a baby, then get a ticket on the way home for not wearing a helmet? :huh:

Edited by mrdeltoid, 15 April 2017 - 04:28 PM.

#40 mrdeltoid

mrdeltoid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:33 PM

Just like they enforce the use of cell while driving laws. NOT AT ALL.

They should change the signs on the Interstate roads.....

Welcome to Maryland, the state of many many laws, which generally are NOT enforced, except under weird circumstances.

I can probably count on both hands the number of times I have passed a cell-er ....weaving back and forth chatting or texting away. Only to see a trooper that was not far behind me pass that same car and not do squat. Note as he passed I had observed in my rear view mirror that car swerving as before.

Oh yeah I forgot, I checked this butthead on judicial search and he was ticketed for texting while he was driving among many other charges. Bikers have a special hatred for the "cagers" that text while driving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users