Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pitbull

Big Dan really doesn't have a lot of time to build this Pitching Staff

42 posts in this topic

Anyone still think this is a Major League rotation?

Big Dan should be embarassed. Honestly, he should quit.

No one can pitch more than five innings. The bullpen is taxed (thru 6 games). And Big Dan hasn't done anytbing to fix it.

Everyone knew the rotation was an issue and he did NOTHING!!! It's unbelievable.

Anyone still think this is a Major League rotation?

Big Dan should be embarassed. Honestly, he should quit.

No one can pitch more than five innings. The bullpen is taxed (thru 6 games). And Big Dan hasn't done anytbing to fix it.

Everyone knew the rotation was an issue and he did NOTHING!!! It's unbelievable.

How long did you have this post saved

Wait nevermind its just copy and paste for you ????

?????

So, you disagree? You are usually pretty open-minded. #rolleyes

Bundy pitched into the seventh tonight. Last time I checked, that's more than five innings.

Bundy pitched into the seventh tonight. Last time I checked, that's more than five innings.

And how about all of our other starters???

And how about all of our other starters???

Not counting tonight, the Orioles were sixth in the American League in ERA. Guess who was bringing up the rear? Cleveland, Texas and Toronto, all of whom made the postseason last year. Somehow I don't think any of those teams are ready to throw in the towel.

Despite the Orioles getting fewer innings from their starters thus far than any AL team but the White Sox, Bundy pitched seven innings in his first outing and into the seventh tonight, and Gausman pitched into the sixth his first go-around. That's half the games with the starters going more than five innings thus far. It's not great, granted, but it's also not an unmitigated disaster. 

?????

So, you disagree? You are usually pretty open-minded. #rolleyes

Its 6 games although i am concerned about the state of the bullpen early on

They're going to need a healthy and effective Tillman, Gausman, and Bundy to anchor them this year... which remains to be seen... But it's also the first week. Sadly, the days of spring training actually prepping starting pitchers for real games starting opening day are long gone... especially with Buck's mindset. You have pitch counts to focus on and bullpens to lean on! ;)

Not counting tonight, the Orioles were sixth in the American League in ERA. Guess who was bringing up the rear? Cleveland, Texas and Toronto, all of whom made the postseason last year. Somehow I don't think any of those teams are ready to throw in the towel.

Despite the Orioles getting fewer innings from their starters thus far than any AL team but the White Sox, Bundy pitched seven innings in his first outing and into the seventh tonight, and Gausman pitched into the sixth his first go-around. That's half the games with the starters going more than five innings thus far. It's not great, granted, but it's also not an unmitigated disaster. 

Wait, that can't be right. Bullspit says: "No one can pitch more than five innings."  Is this fake news?  ;) 

Despite his clear exaggeration, he's right. This overuse of the BP cannot be sustained. With UJ pitching tonight, I have only a very slim hope that we get 6 innings before the BP is needed.

Wait, that can't be right. Bullspit says: "No one can pitch more than five innings."  Is this fake news?  ;) 

Despite his clear exaggeration, he's right. This overuse of the BP cannot be sustained. With UJ pitching tonight, I have only a very slim hope that we get 6 innings before the BP is needed.

Pretty ambitious with 6.  I'm just hoping for 5.

Notwithstanding the hysterics on this thread, the linchpin of the O's season ultimately depends on the soundness of Tillman. As he goes, so goes the rotation, and so goes the team.

Posted (edited)

I agree with the OP.

Once it was known Tillman was going to miss a chunk of the season, a viable replacement should have been signed. Instead DD acquired a bunch of AAAA fodder.

Even if Tillman was healthy, they should have looked to improve the rotation over Ubaldo/Miley who everyone knew probably wouldn't finish the season on the roster one way or another.

I get the expected improvement from Gausman and Bundy, and the consistency of Tillman. Entering the season that's a solid top 3. It's the bottom 2 that have the potential to nuke the season. Once Tillman went down, it should have been all hands on deck.

Edited by Pickle20

I agree with the OP.

Once it was known Tillman was going to miss a chunk of the season, a viable replacement should have been signed. Instead DD acquired a bunch of AAAA fodder.

Even if Tillman was healthy, they should have looked to improve the rotation over Ubaldo/Miley who everyone knew probably wouldn't finish the season on the roster one way or another.

I get the expected improvement from Gausman and Bundy, and the consistency of Tillman. Entering the season that's a solid top 3. It's the bottom 2 that have the potential to nuke the season. Once Tillman went down, it should have been all hands on deck.

Well, I guess Tom Seaver would be available.

I agree with the OP.

Agreed. Miley isn't much of a pitcher. But as the #5 guy, he can be tolerated. Especially if he's an innings eater. But even if Tillman never got hurt, a replacement for UJ should have been added.

a replacement for UJ should have been added.

A replacement for King Ubaldo?? No way!!

Ustinko shouldn't have made it past year 2 of that 4 year deal. He is an atrocious pitcher. Somehow someway, the clown still has a starter spot.

Buck and Dan must spoke the good stuff!

Posted (edited)

A replacement for King Ubaldo?? No way!!

Ustinko shouldn't have made it past year 2 of that 4 year deal. He is an atrocious pitcher. Somehow someway, the clown still has a starter spot.

Buck and Dan must spoke the good stuff!

Any word if there are any extension talks with Jimenez? :o

Edited by ncbirdfan

Any word if there are any extension talks with Jimenez? :o

Clearly a priority. Manny can wait.

Its 6 games although i am concerned about the state of the bullpen early on

We agree!!!

Shhhhh i dont want to start a trend

We agree 100 percent of the time. We just pick on each other.

Posted (edited)

Agreed. Miley isn't much of a pitcher. But as the #5 guy, he can be tolerated. Especially if he's an innings eater. But even if Tillman never got hurt, a replacement for UJ should have been added.

Who and from where? That's oftentimes easier said than done.

Speaking for myself, I think part of the reason Brach didn't get traded this offseason was due to the ongoing issues with Tillman. If you're going to be a starter short and can't add a quality replacement, then the next best thing to do is play to your strengths, which in the Orioles' case is the bullpen.

Edited by mdrunning

Speaking for myself, I think part of the reason Brach didn't get traded this offseason was due to the ongoing issues with Tillman. If you're going to be a starter short and can't add a quality replacement, then the next best thing to do is play to your strengths, which in the Orioles' case is the bullpen.

That is the big question.

They may have been able to get a back of the rotation starter to replace UJ, but they still would have been on the hook to pay UJ.

I personally liked the acquisitions of young optionable starters like Ynoa, Asher, etc.

This gives the Orioles more roster flexibility than signing a guy like Fister.

I agree with you on not moving Brach as well. The Orioles are going to get a lot of five and six inning starts and they need to keep their pieces.

Yeah the FA starting pitching market was beyond weak this past off season.  And we had not one but two anchors on the payroll with UJ and Gallardo to clear out in order to add someone significant.  Other than Brach not a lot of trade chips either.  DD did well to dump another one of his colossal pitching mistakes in Gallardo.  I checked his stats and he has been beyond dreadful so far.  Two starts, 0-1, 10ip, 6.30era and 2.10 whip.  Using around 90 pitches to get through 5 ip. I think signing Edwin Jackson to a minor deal is DDs cheap equivalent to bringing in a vet like Fister. 

Isn't Fister looking for work? I seem to recall Sale being traded. Did the O's inquire about him? I know the stock response to Sale is, "the O's didn't have the trade chips". To which I say, then they're doing something wrong. Boston is a competitive team, on an almost annual basis. And they still manage to maintain a farm system that's stocked with talent. Chicago was shopping Quintana.

Just to be clear, I'm not exclusively suggesting that the O's should have replaced UJ with a top of the rotation pitcher. A better, more reliable, #4 guy would have been an upgrade. UJ is sunk money, they shouldn't let that sunk money be an anchor around the neck of the whole team.