Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pitbull

Big Dan really doesn't have a lot of time to build this Pitching Staff

42 posts in this topic

Isn't Fister looking for work? I seem to recall Sale being traded. Did the O's inquire about him? I know the stock response to Sale is, "the O's didn't have the trade chips". To which I say, then they're doing something wrong. Boston is a competitive team, on an almost annual basis. And they still manage to maintain a farm system that's stocked with talent. Chicago was shopping Quintana.

Just to be clear, I'm not exclusively suggesting that the O's should have replaced UJ with a top of the rotation pitcher. A better, more reliable, #4 guy would have been an upgrade. UJ is sunk money, they shouldn't let that sunk money be an anchor around the neck of the whole team. 

Last I read a couple days ago, Fister is still holding out for a major league deal.   Thats holding his market down.  Mets were interested

Isn't Fister looking for work? I seem to recall Sale being traded. Did the O's inquire about him? I know the stock response to Sale is, "the O's didn't have the trade chips". To which I say, then they're doing something wrong. Boston is a competitive team, on an almost annual basis. And they still manage to maintain a farm system that's stocked with talent. Chicago was shopping Quintana.

Just to be clear, I'm not exclusively suggesting that the O's should have replaced UJ with a top of the rotation pitcher. A better, more reliable, #4 guy would have been an upgrade. UJ is sunk money, they shouldn't let that sunk money be an anchor around the neck of the whole team. 

Isn't it something that we are saying the same thing about UJ every year around this time.  Most frustrating pitcher in O's history. 

In case anyone missed it, the Calvary in Norfolk is getting shelled.  Ynoa, Wright, Aquino, Lee and Verett all have ERAs over 8.00.  Asher the only one pitching decent.  Cue up Edwin Jackson, LOL!!!

Nuno is probably the guy next in line for a start, and he walked 2 batters on 9 pitches last night in the 9th with a 7 run lead.

We just need to find someone who doesn't suck all that bad. a 5.00 ERA or a tick above would be fine for a few weeks, or months, but even that may be hard to find.

Nuno is probably the guy next in line for a start, and he walked 2 batters on 9 pitches last night in the 9th with a 7 run lead.

We just need to find someone who doesn't suck all that bad. a 5.00 ERA or a tick above would be fine for a few weeks, or months, but even that may be hard to find.

Didn't think of that possibility with Nuno.  Makes sense if the O's don't want to make a roster move when we need a fifth starter. Or Wilson.     If we brought someone up from AAA I assume either Wilson or Drake would be jeopardy.  I personally like what I have seen from Asher so far.  And he actually pitched well last year in some starts for the Phils.  Cant believe they let him go.

Didn't think of that possibility with Nuno. Makes sense if the O's don't want to make a roster move when we need a fifth starter. Or Wilson. If we brought someone up from AAA I assume either Wilson or Drake would be jeopardy. I personally like what I have seen from Asher so far. And he actually pitched well last year in some starts for the Phils. Cant believe they let him go.

Like yourself, I am puzzled as to why Philly let Asher go. The guy has had some success at the MLB level, is young and cheap. What's not to like?

Like yourself, I am puzzled as to why Philly let Asher go. The guy has had some success at the MLB level, is young and cheap. What's not to like?

He couldn't pitch any worse than UJ.  I'm like Weird.  If UJ is still sucking by mid May, DFA him and try someone else.  Money is sunk already.

He couldn't pitch any worse than UJ. I'm like Weird. If UJ is still sucking by mid May, DFA him and try someone else. Money is sunk already.

No doubt about it. Inheriting an early 9 run lead and not even getting through 5 innings, that simply can't happen.

Posted (edited)

It's pretty bad when a pitcher is staked to an 8-run lead before he even takes the mound and then can't last the requisite five innings to get the win.

Edited by mdrunning

That's Ubaldo for you.

What a terrible contract that turned out to be. He won't be on the roster for long.

At this point, I don't care if the replacement is worse.  At least it's a different bad.

It's pretty bad when a pitcher is staked to an 8-run lead before he even takes the mound and then can't last the requisite five innings to get the win.

Bad, and embarrassing. Why bother???

Zero doubt that Ubaldo has been bad, embarrassing and everything pitiful in between since he's been an Oriole. The end of his tenure here can't come soon enough.

Thankfully, the team overall has been good and far from embarrassing since Big Dan and Buck have come on board.

Zero doubt that Ubaldo has been bad, embarrassing and everything pitiful in between since he's been an Oriole. The end of his tenure here can't come soon enough.

Thankfully, the team overall has been good and far from embarrassing since Big Dan and Buck have come on board.

i really feel sorry for him because he seems like a great person. But I agree with almost everyone here; he is a liability and is not deserving to be in this rotation.

i really feel sorry for him because he seems like a great person. But I agree with almost everyone here; he is a liability and is not deserving to be in this rotation.

Second that. He really does give 110% and will do anything they ask of him.  His inconsistency is just a killer.  He has only really had two 6 or 8 week stretches his entire time here that he has been any good.  With Tillman on the shelf, he will get I'm thinking 3 or 4 more starts.  That strong finish last year has bought him a little more rope. We can only hope he finds something like late last year.  Or Asher and Aquino step up and force UJ into DFA land.

O's 4 starters in Toronto - 24.1 IP and a 1.85 ERA.  Just saying.

O's 4 starters in Toronto - 24.1 IP and a 1.85 ERA. Just saying.

...in what arguably could be the rotation's best performance of the year!