41 replies to this topic

#21 pitbull

pitbull

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,482 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:09 PM

Shhhhh i dont want to start a trend

We agree 100 percent of the time. We just pick on each other.

#22 mdrunning

mdrunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,630 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:14 PM

Agreed. Miley isn't much of a pitcher. But as the #5 guy, he can be tolerated. Especially if he's an innings eater. But even if Tillman never got hurt, a replacement for UJ should have been added.

Who and from where? That's oftentimes easier said than done.

Speaking for myself, I think part of the reason Brach didn't get traded this offseason was due to the ongoing issues with Tillman. If you're going to be a starter short and can't add a quality replacement, then the next best thing to do is play to your strengths, which in the Orioles' case is the bullpen.

Edited by mdrunning, 12 April 2017 - 11:19 PM.

#23 russsnyder

russsnyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:06 AM

Speaking for myself, I think part of the reason Brach didn't get traded this offseason was due to the ongoing issues with Tillman. If you're going to be a starter short and can't add a quality replacement, then the next best thing to do is play to your strengths, which in the Orioles' case is the bullpen.

That is the big question.

They may have been able to get a back of the rotation starter to replace UJ, but they still would have been on the hook to pay UJ.

I personally liked the acquisitions of young optionable starters like Ynoa, Asher, etc.

This gives the Orioles more roster flexibility than signing a guy like Fister.

I agree with you on not moving Brach as well. The Orioles are going to get a lot of five and six inning starts and they need to keep their pieces.

#24 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:02 AM

Yeah the FA starting pitching market was beyond weak this past off season.  And we had not one but two anchors on the payroll with UJ and Gallardo to clear out in order to add someone significant.  Other than Brach not a lot of trade chips either.  DD did well to dump another one of his colossal pitching mistakes in Gallardo.  I checked his stats and he has been beyond dreadful so far.  Two starts, 0-1, 10ip, 6.30era and 2.10 whip.  Using around 90 pitches to get through 5 ip. I think signing Edwin Jackson to a minor deal is DDs cheap equivalent to bringing in a vet like Fister. 

#25 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,713 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:17 AM

Isn't Fister looking for work? I seem to recall Sale being traded. Did the O's inquire about him? I know the stock response to Sale is, "the O's didn't have the trade chips". To which I say, then they're doing something wrong. Boston is a competitive team, on an almost annual basis. And they still manage to maintain a farm system that's stocked with talent. Chicago was shopping Quintana.

Just to be clear, I'm not exclusively suggesting that the O's should have replaced UJ with a top of the rotation pitcher. A better, more reliable, #4 guy would have been an upgrade. UJ is sunk money, they shouldn't let that sunk money be an anchor around the neck of the whole team. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#26 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:32 AM

Isn't Fister looking for work? I seem to recall Sale being traded. Did the O's inquire about him? I know the stock response to Sale is, "the O's didn't have the trade chips". To which I say, then they're doing something wrong. Boston is a competitive team, on an almost annual basis. And they still manage to maintain a farm system that's stocked with talent. Chicago was shopping Quintana.

Just to be clear, I'm not exclusively suggesting that the O's should have replaced UJ with a top of the rotation pitcher. A better, more reliable, #4 guy would have been an upgrade. UJ is sunk money, they shouldn't let that sunk money be an anchor around the neck of the whole team. 

Last I read a couple days ago, Fister is still holding out for a major league deal.   Thats holding his market down.  Mets were interested

#27 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:34 AM

Isn't it something that we are saying the same thing about UJ every year around this time.  Most frustrating pitcher in O's history. 

#28 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:37 AM

In case anyone missed it, the Calvary in Norfolk is getting shelled.  Ynoa, Wright, Aquino, Lee and Verett all have ERAs over 8.00.  Asher the only one pitching decent.  Cue up Edwin Jackson, LOL!!!

#29 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,515 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:15 AM

Nuno is probably the guy next in line for a start, and he walked 2 batters on 9 pitches last night in the 9th with a 7 run lead.

We just need to find someone who doesn't suck all that bad. a 5.00 ERA or a tick above would be fine for a few weeks, or months, but even that may be hard to find.

#30 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:36 AM

Nuno is probably the guy next in line for a start, and he walked 2 batters on 9 pitches last night in the 9th with a 7 run lead.

We just need to find someone who doesn't suck all that bad. a 5.00 ERA or a tick above would be fine for a few weeks, or months, but even that may be hard to find.

Didn't think of that possibility with Nuno.  Makes sense if the O's don't want to make a roster move when we need a fifth starter. Or Wilson.     If we brought someone up from AAA I assume either Wilson or Drake would be jeopardy.  I personally like what I have seen from Asher so far.  And he actually pitched well last year in some starts for the Phils.  Cant believe they let him go.

#31 Bowie-Bruce

Bowie-Bruce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,862 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:47 AM

Didn't think of that possibility with Nuno. Makes sense if the O's don't want to make a roster move when we need a fifth starter. Or Wilson. If we brought someone up from AAA I assume either Wilson or Drake would be jeopardy. I personally like what I have seen from Asher so far. And he actually pitched well last year in some starts for the Phils. Cant believe they let him go.

Like yourself, I am puzzled as to why Philly let Asher go. The guy has had some success at the MLB level, is young and cheap. What's not to like?
Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.
--Thoreau

#32 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:59 AM

Like yourself, I am puzzled as to why Philly let Asher go. The guy has had some success at the MLB level, is young and cheap. What's not to like?

He couldn't pitch any worse than UJ.  I'm like Weird.  If UJ is still sucking by mid May, DFA him and try someone else.  Money is sunk already.

#33 Bowie-Bruce

Bowie-Bruce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,862 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:15 AM

He couldn't pitch any worse than UJ. I'm like Weird. If UJ is still sucking by mid May, DFA him and try someone else. Money is sunk already.

No doubt about it. Inheriting an early 9 run lead and not even getting through 5 innings, that simply can't happen.
--Thoreau

#34 mdrunning

mdrunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,630 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:36 PM

It's pretty bad when a pitcher is staked to an 8-run lead before he even takes the mound and then can't last the requisite five innings to get the win.

Edited by mdrunning, 13 April 2017 - 10:37 PM.

#35 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,515 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:48 AM

That's Ubaldo for you.

What a terrible contract that turned out to be. He won't be on the roster for long.

#36 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,135 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:24 AM

At this point, I don't care if the replacement is worse.  At least it's a different bad.

#37 pitbull

pitbull

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,482 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:53 PM

It's pretty bad when a pitcher is staked to an 8-run lead before he even takes the mound and then can't last the requisite five innings to get the win.

Bad, and embarrassing. Why bother???

#38 Bowie-Bruce

Bowie-Bruce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,862 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:28 PM

Zero doubt that Ubaldo has been bad, embarrassing and everything pitiful in between since he's been an Oriole. The end of his tenure here can't come soon enough.

Thankfully, the team overall has been good and far from embarrassing since Big Dan and Buck have come on board.
--Thoreau

#39 ncbirdfan

ncbirdfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:08 PM

Zero doubt that Ubaldo has been bad, embarrassing and everything pitiful in between since he's been an Oriole. The end of his tenure here can't come soon enough.

Thankfully, the team overall has been good and far from embarrassing since Big Dan and Buck have come on board.

i really feel sorry for him because he seems like a great person. But I agree with almost everyone here; he is a liability and is not deserving to be in this rotation.

#40 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:37 PM

i really feel sorry for him because he seems like a great person. But I agree with almost everyone here; he is a liability and is not deserving to be in this rotation.

Second that. He really does give 110% and will do anything they ask of him.  His inconsistency is just a killer.  He has only really had two 6 or 8 week stretches his entire time here that he has been any good.  With Tillman on the shelf, he will get I'm thinking 3 or 4 more starts.  That strong finish last year has bought him a little more rope. We can only hope he finds something like late last year.  Or Asher and Aquino step up and force UJ into DFA land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users