Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scaggsville

Does BS Need an Art Forum?

19 posts in this topic

I found myself looking for one and saw Music, Movies, but no Art.

Anyway, I thought this story was interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/12/charging-bull-new-york-fearless-girl-statue-copyright-claim

'Charging Bull' sculptor says New York's 'Fearless Girl' statue violates his rights

Arturo Di Modica says ‘advertising trick’ placed in Wall Street before international women’s day infringed artistic copyright.

Do you think Mr Di Modica has a point?

The girl was placed there temporarily to make a point. Fine.

But her presence completely changes the message of Di Modica's original art.

Now the two scuptures appear as one installation and tells an entirely different story.

I'm with Di Modica on this.

I have to say, I agree with him.  The girl, as a stand alone sculpture, would have little impact without it's current positioning.  It's impact comes from Di Modica's work.

Kind of opens up a can of worms. Mr Di Modica doesn't own Wall St. He can't dictate how an observer chooses to interpret his work.

The bull looks just as fierce to me. And the girl looks pretty darn fearless on her own without the context of the bull.

There is talk of making the girl permanent after the extention to 2018.

What about a buildings architectural style. Can newer buildings nearby become targets of legal action because an architect takes issue with its design?

Kind of opens up a can of worms. Mr Di Modica doesn't own Wall St. He can't dictate how an observer chooses to interpret his work.

The bull looks just as fierce to me. And the girl looks pretty darn fearless on her own without the context of the bull.

There is talk of making the girl permanent after the extention to 2018.

What about a buildings architectural style. Can newer buildings nearby become targets of legal action because an architect takes issue with its design?

According to your link, the bull is supposed to say "freedom in the world, peace, strength, power and love,"

The girl reduces it to only "fierce," (your own words)

Imagine that girl statue being placed in front of the statue of David. Whole different scene! (lol)

I'm sure architects would love to have control of the surrounding buildings, but I believe it's a given that that isn't feasible.

This could become a big legal battle. Interesting.

Considering DiModica's sculpture of the bull was also installed there in the middle of the night in the 1980s I don't see where he has much room to complain.

Considering DiModica's sculpture of the bull was also installed there in the middle of the night in the 1980s I don't see where he has much room to complain.

That makes no sense.

Posted (edited)

That makes no sense.

What part?

Deposited in front of the New York Stock Exchange under cover of night—it was meant as a symbol of American resilience following the 1987 market crash—the guerrilla artwork was originally unwelcome in Lower Manhattan. It was carted away to Queens, and might have been lost to obscurity had Piccolo not stepped in, working with the Parks Department and then-Mayor Ed Koch to give Charging Bull a permanent home at Bowling Green.

https://news.artnet.com/exhibitions/fearless-bull-charging-girl-copyright-907208

Edited by zenwalk

What part?

Deposited in front of the New York Stock Exchange under cover of night—it was meant as a symbol of American resilience following the 1987 market crash—the guerrilla artwork was originally unwelcome in Lower Manhattan. It was carted away to Queens, and might have been lost to obscurity had Piccolo not stepped in, working with the Parks Department and then-Mayor Ed Koch to give Charging Bull a permanent home at Bowling Green.

https://news.artnet.com/exhibitions/fearless-bull-charging-girl-copyright-907208

That's all water under the bridge. The fact is, it's been there, and accepted, for 28 years.

That's all water under the bridge. The fact is, it's been there, and accepted, for 28 years.

Thought the kid statue was only there temporarily? It's not that good but if it irks Wall Street then my vote is to let it stay. 

Thought the kid statue was only there temporarily? It's not that good but if it irks Wall Street then my vote is to let it stay.

As Scaggs mentioned above, there's talk of extending her stay.

The issue isn't about irking WS. It's about changing the original message of the original artwork.

On 4/13/2017 at 8:14 AM, PinkFlamingo said:

The girl was placed there temporarily to make a point. Fine.

But her presence completely changes the message of Di Modica's original art.

Now the two scuptures appear as one installation and tells an entirely different story.

I'm with Di Modica on this.

I'll grant you the little girl statue is hideous (her head is about twice the natural size) and that the dog looks like a cat. But the grounds for removal should be aesthetic since the bull statue was placed there illegally as well. 

6 minutes ago, zenwalk said:

I'll grant you the little girl statue is hideous (her head is about twice the natural size) and that the dog looks like a cat. But the grounds for removal should be aesthetic since the bull statue was placed there illegally as well. 

My comments are about the aesthetics. 

The girl changed the bull, and now the dog ruins the whole thing.  Geez, what's next, a rat? 

Smh

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, PinkFlamingo said:

My comments are about the aesthetics. 

The girl changed the bull, and now the dog ruins the whole thing.  Geez, what's next, a rat? 

Smh

A rat would probably be more appropriate than all three statues put together. A family of rats trying to get a huge chunk of cheese through the mouse hole would be one idea.

Edited by zenwalk

6 minutes ago, zenwalk said:

A rat would probably be more appropriate than all three statues put together. A family of rats trying to get a huge chunk of cheese through the mouse hole would be one idea.

:D:D

This is starting to test the limits of absurdity. Tomorrow they will add a statue of a dogcatcher and maybe later they will add a mugger...

The Mugger sounds like a good fit.

Posted (edited)

Can't put Pics on here so any exchange about Art seems pointless. I'd like some of these covering my whole walls.

http://www.peterelson.co.uk/

Edited by Bartman