Baltimatt

Free in-school day care helps teen parents graduate

15 posts in this topic

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-schools-daycare-20170412-story.html

Nicole Alvez and her 10-month-old daughter arrive at Benjamin Franklin High School in the mornings around 7:45, changes her baby's diaper, gets her settled for the day and heads down the hall to class.  Alvez, a 17-year-old senior at the school in Curtis Bay, is set to graduate in about two months. She has defied the odds for teen parents with the help of a fledgling program at the school that provides free day care, coaches new moms and dads and monitors their academic performance.

All of the seniors enrolled in the program since it started in 2014 have finished high school. Nationally, roughly 60 percent of teen parents drop out.  "It's not just a baby drop," said Heather Chapman, the center's deputy director and co-founder. "You can't just bring your child, drop them off and that's it. We want to engage the child and the parent.

Sounds like a good program.

Sounds like a good program and I'm sure the parents appreciate it.

Sounds like a good program and I'm sure the parents appreciate it.

"parents" plural, you really typed that without laughing.

"parents" plural, you really typed that without laughing.

Why would bogart be laughing?

Posted (edited)

Should be a class started in the seventh grade with dolls that vomit, poop, cry when hungry and act like normal infants.  For boys and girls.

There have been several programs as you describe over the years. Some have been successful. However in most inner cities it has failed as the 'kids' sold the robot babies, claiming they 'lost' them. Sound familiar?

There also have been programs where kid are designated as parents of a egg.

Again mixed results....but it has been noted that some really good omlets were whipped up. Some kids went on to culinary school.

But I am GLAD that this program is showing success and I wish it good luck. And I mean that Bogart.

Edited by Guido2

Guido, don't you think the last sentence would have been enough without  all the extra negativity.  You just don't know how to get to the point do you without some negativity.  SMH

Guido, don't you think the last sentence would have been enough without  all the extra negativity.  You just don't know how to get to the point do you without some negativity.  SMH

Nope...quack quack

This is a program that has little, if any, downside.

Posted (edited)

Double

Edited by Manny

I agree, it nothing else, it's worth a try.

Hi Manny. I agree, anything that helps fills the void of how to parent is great, and it probably wouldn't hurt to have some sort of class like these for all the students. My wife often speaks to middle schoolers and high schoolers on financial stuff, and most are pretty clueless. And parenting is more important. If these kids don't have the resources at home to learn, this is the next best thing. 

But it's a sad reality. The story does not breakdown the ratio of moms and dads, but it's probably a safe bet that most in the program are young women alone in the task. This needs to be done obviously, but I have a sinking feeling of what were doing long term, in some ways. Yes the kids get the diploma, clearly a game changer, and the kids get taken care of. But I see a risk, where the children of these students, grow up thinking high school daycare is just natural. Or that breakfast, lunch and dinner (likely added by the time they get to school) is the schools job, and hey, it's all free!  

I know, I'm complimenting and ripping at the same time, while offering no solution better than whats being done at this school. All over the place. I'm just worried about where this might lead in 20 years, as far as generational dependency. These good people are trying to break that, while at the same time reinforcing it. The best thing would be equal participation by the guys that helped make the baby. That would demand a cultural shift and I don't see any socially acceptable or politically acceptable way of doing that.

I wonder how effective free or very inexpensive daycare would be instead of some welfare and housing programs.  For many people the cost of quality daycare is higher than the pay for entry level employment.  

This is a severe discouragement to enter the workforce and learn job skills and experience.  It maybe cheaper long term to offer daycare and job training with interview and application training.