Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thirteen

Eli Manning could be in some trouble

20 posts in this topic

Report: Eli Manning teamed up with Giants equipment manager on memorabilia scam

According to the New York Post, New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning was involved in a scheme with the team’s equipment manager to sell fake gear that could be advertised as “game used” based on game-worn gear.

The Post obtained court papers that show Manning sending an email to Joe Skiba, the team’s equipment manager, asking for “helmets that can pass as game used,” which Manning was forced to turn over last week in connection to a civil racketeering suit. It alleges that Manning and the Giants worked in conjunction to bilk collectors into purchasing what they believed were authentic gear that was used in NFL games.

Three memorabilia dealers are suing Manning, Skiba, the Giants, team owner John Mara and others in the case. The emails were filed on Tuesday at Bergen County (N.J.) Superior Court.

I realize these guys are just scraping by, and need a little extra side cash, but you don't have to cheat people.

As a Giants fan Eli should settle this out of court ASAP. 

IMO if this was Cam Newton it would be a bigger deal because of race. 

As a Giants fan Eli should settle this out of court ASAP. 

IMO if this was Cam Newton it would be a bigger deal because of race. 

And you decided to opine because...

I guess there aren't enough racial based threads on the sun forums.

$84 million isn't a lot once you factor in inflation.

And you decided to opine because...

I guess there aren't enough racial based threads on the sun forums.

IMO is IMO deal with it. 

IMO is IMO deal with it. 

But it doesn't involve Cam Newton, so why bring it up at all?

If Manning is shown to be involved with this the NFL needs to suspend him for no less than 4 games. They suspended Brady because they BELIEVED he was in some way involved in deflategate or was complicit in obstructing the investigation. They had no proof that he actually was involved. Manning should get no favorable treatment if there is evidence that he was involved in this scam.

If Manning is shown to be involved with this the NFL needs to suspend him for no less than 4 games. They suspended Brady because they BELIEVED he was in some way involved in deflategate or was complicit in obstructing the investigation. They had no proof that he actually was involved. Manning should get no favorable treatment if there is evidence that he was involved in this scam.

I'm thinking at least 8 games and maybe the season. This is beyond competitive balance and reaches to fraud.

maybe he did it maybe he didn't, but some certainly do such things, and its mind-boggling how millionaires will go to such schemes to make what you would think would be uneeded extra money.

I'm not a Eli fan but he gets the benefit of the doubt with me....everyone that knows him says he's a honest, clean cut and good person. NO way he knowing did anything wrong....

This has absolutely nothing to do with on-the-field / game play / competitive fairness... so the NFL should do the same thing it SHOULD do in all of these instances... wait for real world legal proceedings to run their course.  

If the law finds him guilty of some LEGAL wrong-doing, then you suspend him for some amount of time.  If it's related to game play / wins-and-losses, then you conduct your own investigation and pass down your own judgement.

Posted (edited)

This has absolutely nothing to do with on-the-field / game play / competitive fairness... so the NFL should do the same thing it SHOULD do in all of these instances... wait for real world legal proceedings to run their course.  

If the law finds him guilty of some LEGAL wrong-doing, then you suspend him for some amount of time.  If it's related to game play / wins-and-losses, then you conduct your own investigation and pass down your own judgement.

I disagree, as it involves the NFL brand and relations with fans and such,  in that NFL equipment was involved, I would be surprised if the NFL does wait for the legal proceedings, which are CIVIL and could take years to reach an end stage in court. 

If he was accused of trading in say Star Wars collectibles that have nothing to do with the NFL and did not use his position as an NFL player in the course of his dealings, I would agree with you.

I do agree with giving him benefit of the doubt, but, seeing that they got the e-mail from him, it doesn't look good.

Edited by Saticon3

Definitely not looking good for Eli.

IMO is IMO deal with it. 

I dealt with it. I questioned your reasoning. Not sure I understand why but I think I'll muddle through.

I wonder how many pounds the "Deflater" has lost by now? Brady will always be the cheater. 4 games over a year after the fact was a slap on the wrist.

Posted (edited)

I think it's best to give Manning the benefit of the doubt until all is said and done. According to the New York Post, Manning could be in the clear, at least for the time being, because the smoking gun email he sent regarding game jerseys dates back to 2010, too far back for either the Feds or New Jersey prosecutors to bring charges against him. The only way the email could be used against him now would be if evidence of fraud within the past five years emerges against him.

It's important to remember that this whole business came about as a result of a lawsuit against Manning, the Giants and others filed by a sports memorabilia dealer--not always known as the most scrupulous people on the planet--who was accused of selling fake jerseys following an FBI sting in 2014. Someone may simply be trying to cover their arse in this instance.

Edited by mdrunning

I think it's best to give Manning the benefit of the doubt until all is said and done. According to the New York Post, Manning could be in the clear, at least for the time being, because the smoking gun email he sent regarding game jerseys dates back to 2010, too far back for either the Feds or New Jersey prosecutors to file bring charges against him. The only way the email could be used against him now would be if evidence of fraud within the past five years emerges against him.

It's important to remember that this whole business came about as a result of a lawsuit against Manning, the Giants and others filed by a sports memorabilia dealer--not always known as the most scrupulous people on the planet--who was accused of selling fake jerseys following an FBI sting in 2014. Someone may simply be trying to cover their arse in this instance.

The league may not feel that way over something that happened years ago that makes the game look bad. But then again this is the NY Giants who seem to be above everything.

If this smoke turns into fire, the Commish will come down hard on Eli, just to show he's an upstanding, even-handed guy with the integrity of the NFL as his guiding focus.

Bwahahahahaha!

I wonder how many pounds the "Deflater" has lost by now? Brady will always be the cheater. 4 games over a year after the fact was a slap on the wrist.

And of course you have the proof the NFL was unable to provide that Brady did something wrong. You should sell it to one of Manning's contacts, since the validity is at about the same level.