Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BayAreaBmore

4/15 Game Thread

49 posts in this topic

Three things to consider today:

1. It was a great pitching duel.

2. One of those pitchers was a great acquisition picked up from the dumpster late in the preseason.

3. You cannot win them all.

We could win them all if we had better pitching????

Opportunity is there to take 3 of 4 from the Jays in the Dome. If that doesn't satisfy you to some degree, God bless ya. The Jays are not a bad club, current record excluding.

As of this morning, Baltimore had the best record in MLB. How can anyone be that upset about a loss? Losses happen.

Posted (edited)

Opportunity is there to take 3 of 4 from the Jays in the Dome. If that doesn't satisfy you to some degree, God bless ya. The Jays are not a bad club, current record excluding

As of this morning, Baltimore had the best record in MLB. How can anyone be that upset about a loss? Losses happen.[/quote. Exactly. ]

Edited by Struds

Opportunity is there to take 3 of 4 from the Jays in the Dome. If that doesn't satisfy you to some degree, God bless ya. The Jays are not a bad club, current record excluding.

As of this morning, Baltimore had the best record in MLB. How can anyone be that upset about a loss? Losses happen.

Yeah I'm not upset on this one.  We went up against a pitcher we never can hit. I'm taking away big positives with Asher and the manufactured run in the ninth when we had to have it.   Of course like everyone else has said, Wilson is probably not the answer in the Vance Worley role.  He really doesn't look like he has the big league stuff to keep an ERA under 5.  And yeah why in Gods name is he in there with the score tied. Had to be Brach.

Buck has about 3 or 4 head scratchers a year. This was one of them.

Why let Flaherty hit there with Mancini on the bench. Pointless. Maybe Hardy is hurt or something

I think you don't pinch hit with the bases empty in a tie game. That's the only rationale I can come up with.

I think you don't pinch hit with the bases empty in a tie game. That's the only rationale I can come up with.

Makes sense. My thinking here though is that Duquette and Buck built this team to win or die by the long ball. In a tie game in the 9th you have a guy on the bench that could, although unlikely, potentially jack one and take the lead. But instead you essentially concede the out allowing Flaherty to flail away which was basically an automatic out

Losses always suck, but I will gladly take a defeat if it means the O's have possibly found themselves a back end starter in the process. Time will ultimately tell on that one.

If JJ needs more rest this year as he really should,  I really question whether Flash is up to it.  He isn't a real good SS, and we all know about his bat.

Losses always suck, but I will gladly take a defeat if it means the O's have possibly found themselves a back end starter in the process. Time will ultimately tell on that one.

The contrast between UJ and Asher's last starts is just shocking.  It just isn't even close.  If Asher shows anything in his next two or three starts, UJ has to hit the road when Tillman comes back.  Just DFA him and be done with it.  I was listening to MASN pre-game and they quoted Buck as saying that Asher was going to be a good one.  Time will tell.

Showalter said afterward that of Britton, Brach and O'Day, he would have used Brach only to close had the situation warranted. I can understand the thinking to some degree, although I wish it would have been thought out with someone other than Tyler Wilson. There was really no great alternative in that situation. Bring in Brach and and then the only option is Nuno against a predominantly right-handed hitting club in a tie game.

Any guy that throws an effective change up over 30% of the time is going to shut down the Orioles offense

Or, if they're left-handed, or making a spot start from Triple A. The keys to dominating the Orioles!!!

Why was LHP Hart allowed to pitch to RHB? He promptly drove in the games first run.

Another head scratcher.

Posted (edited)

Just another sad sad example of the big Dan era. All or nothing with this sad-sack offense.

Edited by pitbull

Why was LHP Hart allowed to pitch to RHB? He promptly drove in the games first run.

Another head scratcher.

The only rightie likely available was Givens. Either way, now the Orioles have Bundy going tomorrow with a fully rested bullpen.

The only rightie likely available was Givens. Either way, now the Orioles have Bundy going tomorrow with a fully rested bullpen.

Bundy vs a struggling Happ.

Asher > Ustinko

Showalter said afterward that of Britton, Brach and O'Day, he would have used Brach only to close had the situation warranted. I can understand the thinking to some degree, although I wish it would have been thought out with someone other than Tyler Wilson. There was really no great alternative in that situation. Bring in Brach and and then the only option is Nuno against a predominantly right-handed hitting club in a tie game.

I hope that there was no other choice right there because Wilson is not the guy you want in there in the bottom of the 9th and a tie game.

Posted (edited)

Or, if they're left-handed, or making a spot start from Triple A. The keys to dominating the Orioles!!!

Anything off speed will usually do the trick.  And you don't even have to be in the strikezone since Oriole hitters have no concept of what a strike is.  Always amazes me that pitchers still challenge them over the plate with fastballs, especially Adam Jones. 

Edited by jamesdean

Posted (edited)

Ubaldo should be gone now, regardless of how well anybody else is pitching or when Tillman comes back.   ;)  Who knows, maybe if he had managed to somehow pitch deep in to a game a few days ago where he was spotted a 9-0 lead, the makeup / availability of the bullpen would have been different yesterday.  Granted, you score one run, there's not much room for error... but his consistent struggle each game can have an impact beyond just that day.

Edited by Ravens2006

Ubaldo should be gone now, regardless of how well anybody else is pitching or when Tillman comes back.   ;)  Who knows, maybe if he had managed to somehow pitch deep in to a game a few days ago where he was spotted a 9-0 lead, the makeup / availability of the bullpen would have been different yesterday.  Granted, you score one run, there's not much room for error... but his consistent struggle each game can have an impact beyond just that day.

This is a really good point.  UJ just murders the bullpen with his numerous short outings.  And jamming him into the long relief role in place of Wilson isn't so great either. He is terrible out of the pen.  He basically can only pitch in garbage time blow outs.  Losing that game yesterday makes you realize how valuable Worley was as a long swing man.  He really was good in that role.  He could give you 3 good innings early in the game or even late when a game went extra innings.

Just another sad sad example of the big Dan era. All or nothing with this sad-sack offense.

Yeah I totally loved the pre-Dan era with 15 straight losing seasons. The way I recall is that the Orioles have had the best record in the AL East since he has been GM. They never had a losing season. Yeah, I cannot wait 'til we get someone to put us back drafting in the top ten. ;)

Yeah I totally loved the pre-Dan era with 15 straight losing seasons. The way I recall is that the Orioles have had the best record in the AL East since he has been GM. They never had a losing season. Yeah, I cannot wait 'til we get someone to put us back drafting in the top ten. ;)

LOL.

(Some people are just never happy.)

;)

8-3 without Tillman. Now, tell me. Who thought that was a possibility? I'll be honest- I didn't. But I'll take it! :P