Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Persepolis

Father Chainsaws Tree : Kills One Son, Injures Another

9 posts in this topic

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/maryland/articles/2017-04-14/authorities-falling-tree-kills-boy-injuries-brother

This happened back on Thursday, 14 April 2017, in Charles County.

What a crushing tragedy.  And totally unnecessary.  There's no excuse for having a child any where near the drop radius of a tree.  If you can't or won't keep them (or anything else you care about) away from the tree you are felling, then you do not fell the tree.  And you do not even start that chainsaw.

Let this sad event serve as a reminder to anyone that picks up a chainsaw:  safety is paramount.  There are too many ways to get injured when you are felling trees or even just using a dangerous tool like a chainsaw.

My deepest sympathies to the families involved.

Pers

20' and under trees aren't that bad. But 30' and up, you better know what you are doing. Felling trees is serious business. In this case, deadly serious.

Few stories are as sad as when a parent accidentally injures or kills their own kid. Thats unimaginable pain, hopefully his other boy will pull through.

I've cut down a few smaller trees, but my thinking is no matter what,  a clear area with a diameter at least the height of the tree. I know thats not always possible for physical structures, but it's easily enforceable for people. I think you always (if your not a pro) consider that the tree might drop where you didn't want it too, or like with my wifes dad, his fell down the right direction, but it bounced, and he lost a foot. When mine start to go over, I run away fast.  We're having a 100' tree removed in a couple weeks, and it's maybe 15 feet from our house, maybe 40 from the neighbors. I realize they will have to top it down but it should be interesting to watch, from across the street.

I know this dad felt his kids were not in danger. He will never be the same, and I hope my comments are not offensive. I'm not religious, but thoughts and prayers for this guy and his family. Like anyone, they likely have extended family scattered, and those folks are also getting the worst phone calls possible. 

I've seen some hairy videos on youtube. One professional was chainsawing a large tree and was almost through when the trunk exploded. Like a bomb. It bowled him over and luckily the tree fell and barely missed him. Trees can be unpredictable.

I've taken a few trees down, never a problem, because I hire people who know what they are doing. 

Chainsaws are probably the most dangerous tool any homeowner can use. I have fell many a tree over the years but frankly when I started getting scared...it was time to stop...now I hire pro's.

SMH about this....even if the kids were in an apparent safe area when he started....well kids being kids the are like waterbugs....there one second over there the next. If you are concentrating on cutting a tree and not  your arm....you are unlikely paying attention to the kids.

SMH

Some people just have no business with Power Tools. I don't mess with anything I don't know how to handle. Sadly some people just don't Think.

A man was killed on Capitol Hill by a falling tree yesterday.

Crazy.