Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KSweeley

Men gets to decide to deny women who is raped in Maryland the right for the woman to terminate parental rights of the rapist.

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This isn't right at all, men should not have a say with anything dealing with women's rights.

Link: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/investigations/bs-md-sun-investigates-0416-20170416-story.html

April 16, 2017

As the 2017 legislative session wound down Monday evening, five men sat on couches in a lounge inside Maryland's State House. They would soon decide the fate of a bill that would allow a woman who is raped and conceives a child to terminate the parental rights of her assailant.

Maryland is one of 16 states that has not passed such a law. Women here still have to negotiate with an alleged rapist over custody or putting the child up for adoption.

It was the ninth time Del. Kathleen Dumais had tried to pass the law. It had progressed further in the state legislature than ever before by passing both houses. But there were substantial differences between the House and Senate versions, so a conference committee of three delegates and three senators was chosen to negotiate a single bill.

Neither Dumais nor any other woman was asked to be on the committee.

"Although I have great respect for colleagues, not having women on the committee was tone-deaf," Sen. Cheryl Kagan said. The Montgomery County Democrat stood over over the men at the conference with her arms crossed, overseeing the group with Sen. Delores G. Kelley, a Baltimore Democrat.

"I wanted to watch as the conscience for women and rape survivors," Kagan explained.

The committee members were chosen by Del. Joseph F. Vallario Jr., chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, and Sen. Robert Zirkin, chairman of the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee.

Vallario said the all-male committee "was never intended that way."

Edited by KSweeley

The story mentions no argument in favor of a rape suspect getting parental rights. Why is this even an issue? The story implies a male bias, but I'm a male, and I don't understand the problem. Parental rights shouldn't be an issue, since in my world, the rapist should be under a restraining order that absolutely refers to the rape victim and the child.  

I respect Del. Dumais' efforts, but how common is it that a felony convicted rapist goes to court to seek parental rights? What judge or state agency would agree with such a thing? 

it seems the sticking point of the bill is "alleged" rapist vs "convicted" rapist

This isn't right at all, men should not have a say with anything dealing with women's rights.

Link: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/investigations/bs-md-sun-investigates-0416-20170416-story.html

A few things.I agree with abortion in cases of rape. In general though, abortion is not some absolute right. It is an act of willfully ending an innocent life.

Plus, if men should have no say, as you articulate, then why should they have to pay chld support if he goes on record in advance about not wanting this baby?

This is crazy, why should a rapist have any say in what happens with the baby?

This is crazy, why should a rapist have any say in what happens with the baby?

For once, we agree.

I do think that the man should pay child support weather he goes on record saying he doesn't want to pay.  The baby is here now and someone needs to support it. 

I do think that the man should pay child support weather he goes on record saying he doesn't want to pay.  The baby is here now and someone needs to support it. 

If the father doesn't have any custody or visitation he should not be required to pay support.

Posted (edited)

Are you kidding, if the father raped the mother then he should have NO RIGHTS on anything about the child. :rolleyes:

Edited by bogart

Your kidding right. Your really expect a scumbag that raped a women and likely has no form of legal income to be by court ruling forced to pay support?

God Bogart what planet do you live in.

It is difficult enough to try an get dead beat Dad's to pay child support as it is...if they just decide to walk away form it. And these are guys that are not criminal.

Geeeezu....talk about La la land.

Posted (edited)

I can't believe that  our 'wonderful' :rolleyes:  lib, leaning left, feel good, take care of the underclass ..etc. GA can't pass this dxmn law. This is totally ridiculous. Is this the brainstem thinking that still exists? Apparently so....yes even in progressive MD there are still neanderthals around.

What was it 9 times it has been knocked down?

I looked up hypocrite in the dictionary....there was a picture of the MD GA next to it.

Ridiculous.

Edited by Guido2

Guido no I'm not kidding.  There are ways of getting the money if the scumbags ever get jobs, they will pay.  Why do you think the scumbags are crying about owing child support now?  They take their drivers license and they have other ways of making them pay eventually. 

Save the insults because you are the one that live in La la land everyday.   So the rapist should just have no responsibly at all? 

Posted (edited)

Guido no I'm not kidding.  There are ways of getting the money if the scumbags ever get jobs, they will pay.  Why do you think the scumbags are crying about owing child support now?  They take their drivers license and they have other ways of making them pay eventually. 

Save the insults because you are the one that live in La la land everyday.   So the rapist should just have no responsibly at all? 

You said it...above....key words....

And in my opinion these scumbags in this case rapist should be happy as shxt that they didn't cut his nuts off.... instead of crying.

How do I put this gently.

There is a big difference between a scumbag that walks away from his family or offspring after a 'good time' AKA dead beat Dad.  AND someone that rapes a women and is in jail. What are they going to do ...garnish his wages from doing the laundy or making licenses? Sure fine....that will help :rolleyes:

The state has enough of the difficult time with the former getting them to pay. And the later....ohhhh boy that extra Ten-er will be a big help. :o

So is the sperm donor responsible ....sure. Getting him to pay....that is another story.

Ohh that right in your La la land as long as you LOOK like something is being done that is ok.

Now if you can't understand that then this discussion is over.

Edited by Guido2

Posted (edited)

Guido this discussion is over with you.  I don't know why I started responding to your post again in the first place. The last part is confusing anyway.

Edited by bogart

Posted (edited)

Guido this discussion is over with you.  I don't know why I started responding to your post again in the first place. The last part is confusing anyway.

Look I am willing to try this one more time.

• A man who is responsible for bringing a life into this world is according to my code of ethics responsible for that child and should help support that child financially.
  • A man who has a steady job should be (regardless of marital status) man up and do that.
  • The man above should be trackable by the state and forced to pay....as you have stated. Unfortunately as we see there are way more dead beat dads than polite society will care to admit.
  • Now for a rapist (in particular a convicted one that is in jail). You can not get blood out of a stone. Nor can you garnish a whole lot out of a criminals paycheck making license plates.
  • I maybe crazy but I just plain do not understand how a rapist can sue for custody of a child produced by rape. Recently, this occured, the mother wanted to give up the child for adoption and was sued for custody. Yes believe it or not. If you are board this evening ...read through these:

https://www.google.com/#q=Rapist+sues+mother+for+custody+of+child

So you may think I am not on your side on this. I am just on the practical side of it.

Edited by Guido2

This seems to be about the allegation of rape, even if the alleged rapist isn't charged, not a convicted rapist.  Women are more than capable of playing games. And they do. Believe that.

This seems to be about the allegation of rape, even if the alleged rapist isn't charged, not a convicted rapist.  Women are more than capable of playing games. And they do. Believe that.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was wondering that and for some reason was not able to parse that out.

Women and games.....hmm I bet you are/were divorced. ;)

Women and games.....hmm I bet you are/were divorced. ;)

I have no idea where that came from.

I have no idea where that came from.

Oppss sorry. No offense intended. But recently on various threads there have been a number of divorcees posting comments similar to yours. I apologize.

This has made the national news: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/maryland-fails-to-pass-bill-that-would-have-stopped-giving-rapists-parental-rights_us_58f62131e4b0bb9638e67bd1?di&ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Maryland was poised to end a policy this week that would have stopped requiring that rape victims who get pregnant share parental rights with their attackers.

Instead, the legislation fizzled when a six-person negotiating committee ― comprised entirely of men ― essentially failed to iron out the final details before the state’s General Assembly adjourned for the session on Monday.

That means that in Maryland, a woman who conceives after a rape will still be legally required to negotiate with her rapist over custody should she decide to keep the baby, or include her rapist in any decisions regarding putting the baby up for adoption.

Maryland is one of seven states where that remains the case, along with North Dakota, Wyoming, New Mexico, Mississippi, Alabama and Minnesota, according to CNN. In many other states, an assault conviction is required to block an attacker’s parental rights.

This is the ninth time such legislation has been proposed ― and failed to become law ― in Maryland, The Washington Post reports. That is true despite broad support from groups typically at odds with each other, including Planned Parenthood and Maryland Right To Life.

Baltimore Sun now reporting that this could be the topic of a special session: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/blog/bal-miller-stripping-parental-rights-from-rapists-could-be-special-session-topic-20170418-story.html

Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller said Tuesday that if a special session of the General Assembly is convened, the legislature should take up a bill that would strip parental rights from rapists.

The likelihood of that special session is unclear, but the Senate's top Democrat on Tuesday introduced a new wrinkle to its agenda.

In the final hours of this year's session, lawmakers failed to pass a bill that would have let rape victims who become pregnant during the assault terminate parental rights of their alleged attackers. It was the ninth year the bill died, and the panel that failed to reach a compromise consisted of five men, including three who had sponsored the proposal.

It was one of two controversial bills close to passage that ultimately failed to advance at the end of the annual 90-day session last week. The other would have expanded the medical marijuana industry to specifically include minority-owned firms, and the Legislative Black Caucus has demanded the governor and presiding officers recall lawmakers to Annapolis to pass it.

Ahhhh sure .... a special session. Yah know as I said before MAYBE if M&M were able to herd the cats in the GA into productive work instead of feel good shxt...calling one would not be necessary.

Two of the MOST important topics, Internet Privacy and this were put to the very end and the clock ran out.

Funny how this always seems to happen with the REALLY IMPORTANT STUFF.

Guido no I'm not kidding. There are ways of getting the money if the scumbags ever get jobs, they will pay. Why do you think the scumbags are crying about owing child support now? They take their drivers license and they have other ways of making them pay eventually.

Save the insults because you are the one that live in La la land everyday. So the rapist should just have no responsibly at all?

Taking their driver's license was one of the stupidest penalties ever enacted by the kind in this state. How is the debtor supposed to get to work? I know you live near multiple bus routes, but what about those that do not?

Taking their driver's license was one of the stupidest penalties ever enacted by the kind in this state. How is the debtor supposed to get to work? I know you live near multiple bus routes, but what about those that do not?

I think Bogarts statement is most telling

There are ways of getting the money if the scumbags ever get jobs,

See there is the issue. How do you get blood out of a stone? You can do these mickey mouse penaties all  you want but if (as in most cases) the guy doesn't have a pot to pee in to begin with nor has any inclination of finding a pot. What do you do?

As always in MD.....apply token 'we are doing something' penalties.

I wish I had a gagillion dollars ... I would buy an island and have all these losers dropped off.