Rael

Dallas Dance resigns

127 posts in this topic

Now maybe Dulaney won't have brown water. Hey, but at least the elementary school kid parents' could pawn their kid's ipads.

Link?

http://www.bcps.org/news/articles/article9492.html

“The last five years serving as Superintendent of Team BCPS have been the best years of my professional life. As I stated in my latest State of the Schools message, I have led this organization from my heart believing that we could move mountains, and while not literally, we have begun tackling some large complex issues, which will take us time, effort, energy, and commitment to realize its full impact. However, I believe our county and region will be better because of our strategic efforts to provide an equitable educational experience for all of our children.

While there is more work to be done; Team BCPS is certainly on the right track under the leadership of a phenomenal group of chiefs, top-notch school leaders, dedicated and caring teachers, and thousands of committed support staff all throughout our organization. I truly believe BCPS is in a better place today than when I first arrived. To that end, I now transition to another chapter of my career where I will specifically use my passion for equity and access to a quality education to ensure it is provided to all students through school, district, and community leadership.

Team BCPS is much bigger than any one individual. Therefore, the work continues, and the pride we have cultivated around our culture will deepen. I want to thank each and every person who has worked and supported us as we’ve strengthened incredible learning environments for each child in every school. I know the best days for Team BCPS are ahead, and I will always be one of its biggest cheerleaders.

His last day is 30 June 2017.

Whaaattt ...now that is a holy poop.

As a former teacher we and my fellow teacher always suspected he was a gunslinger brought in to shake things up and leave.

However, this is so sudden I wonder if he got caught with his hand in the 'cookie jar' again and was given 'the option of'.

Funny...I am sure that many will be sorry to see him go....others won't even bother to say 'don't let the door hit you in the butt'

Personally, I thought Dallas made one fatal mistake when he came in .... he (and the state with core wanted all these things done...yesterday. No regard for the teachers or students. Dallas was Picard (STNG) 'Make it so' and walked away.

So what will be interesting is to see what pin head they get this time. Too many academics/big degree people running things....they and all schools need to go back to promoting from within from teachers and principle with RECENT  teaching experience.

Ding dong the witch is dead! My fellow teachers are cheering the news. Hopefully this stops some of his new awful education reforms of "everyone passes" and getting rid of gifted programs! 

Farewell to the Post Turtle.  (I don't know how he got here but he didn't get here without some help)

It is reasonable to question how a college graduate in 2001 with his first job as a HS English teacher gets his PhD  7 years later, is an adjunct professor at 4 universities one year after that and becomes the Superintendent of the 5th largest school district in the country in 2012.  Can someone explain another profession where an individual can become elevated that fast?

As a military officer, at 32 you are a wet-behind-the-ears Major and a department head in a squadron.  Not the XO or the CO.  You are certainly capable of planning and executing a major strike package  consisting of multiple aircraft with coordinated fires to complete a mission.  You are not a 2 star Flag officer nor a CEO, nor a Superintendent.

Mr. Dance and his security detail (Arriving in 3 SUVs with tinted windows) did less to impress me when they cleared the entrance filled with parents at an elementary school when he arrived to conduct a walk-around. 

Ding dong the witch is dead! My fellow teachers are cheering the news. Hopefully this stops some of his new awful education reforms of "everyone passes" and getting rid of gifted programs! 

Interesting... that was the first thought that came through my mind.

I am sure there was rejoicing throughout Balt. County PS.

He has 'some' good ideas but it was way too much too fast.

Now ... hopefully this will not become a 'be careful what you wish for' moment.

Again....pick and educator not an egg head.

YAY!! This news is as great as it is unexpected. My only hope is that any reasons that might be behind it aren't ignored. A lot of parents and teachers here are going to be celebrating this news for sure.

Interesting... that was the first thought that came through my mind.

I am sure there was rejoicing throughout Balt. County PS.

He has 'some' good ideas but it was way too much too fast.

Now ... hopefully this will not become a 'be careful what you wish for' moment.

Again....pick and educator not an egg head.

I agree. He seems like a bright young man with a lot of great ideas but it's never enough to just have good ideas. You also need to build consensus and support for the ideas.

Hopefully he is leaving on his own and not being pushed out. Barring any scandal, I'm sure he has a bright professional future.

Farewell to the Post Turtle.  (I don't know how he got here but he didn't get here without some help)

It is reasonable to question how a college graduate in 2001 with his first job as a HS English teacher gets his PhD  7 years later, is an adjunct professor at 4 universities one year after that and becomes the Superintendent of the 5th largest school district in the country in 2012.  Can someone explain another profession where an individual can become elevated that fast?

As a military officer, at 32 you are a wet-behind-the-ears Major and a department head in a squadron.  Not the XO or the CO.  You are certainly capable of planning and executing a major strike package  consisting of multiple aircraft with coordinated fires to complete a mission.  You are not a 2 star Flag officer nor a CEO, nor a Superintendent.

Mr. Dance and his security detail (Arriving in 3 SUVs with tinted windows) did less to impress me when they cleared the entrance filled with parents at an elementary school when he arrived to conduct a walk-around. 

Yes that quick rise makes for some interesting questions.

Although I never saw the detail... I don't doubt it. As time progressed he seemed to start pulling the Howard Hughs thing.

I meet him once when he visit our school several months after he got the job. He seemed nice enough....politician nice enough...if you get my drift.

I was introduced to him we chatted and he asked me So what do you think of my plans for the future of the district and what I have done so far? I told him that most of the ideas are good but in general the implementation is to fast to execute properly. He asked what I meant. I said Look what you are trying to do is flying an airplane as you are building it....

He laughed we shook hands.

Next day it is in a newspaper article about his agenda. He says...Yes yes sometimes it appears that I am trying to fly an airplane as I build it.

And I didn't even get an attah boy. ;)  True story no kidding.

I certainly won't miss him. I'm just surprised it took so long.

I certainly won't miss him. I'm just surprised it took so long.

Howdy, Stranger!

Yes that quick rise makes for some interesting questions.

Although I never saw the detail... I don't doubt it. As time progressed he seemed to start pulling the Howard Hughs thing.

I meet him once when he visit our school several months after he got the job. He seemed nice enough....politician nice enough...if you get my drift.

I was introduced to him we chatted and he asked me So what do you think of my plans for the future of the district and what I have done so far? I told him that most of the ideas are good but in general the implementation is to fast to execute properly. He asked what I meant. I said Look what you are trying to do is flying an airplane as you are building it....

He laughed we shook hands.

Next day it is in a newspaper article about his agenda. He says...Yes yes sometimes it appears that I am trying to fly an airplane as I build it.

And I didn't even get an attah boy. ;)  True story no kidding.

The quote about flying the plane while building it can be found in the book "The Prize" about the Newark school system..

Guess he wants to get Out before they all Really start asking where all the Money went.

I agree. He seems like a bright young man with a lot of great ideas but it's never enough to just have good ideas. You also need to build consensus and support for the ideas.

Hopefully he is leaving on his own and not being pushed out. Barring any scandal, I'm sure he has a bright professional future.

Custer had a great idea....you know how that turned out. ;):D

I hope he is leaving on his own. But if he is being pushed out because he got caught again... no sympathy.

I really never had a like or dislike for Dallas.

Below I offer some insight to those with children, grandchildren and care.

For all the fancy forms...matrices...cause and affect analysis etc etc. the county (Dallas) wanted...my students didn't improve. Not good.

Mainly I was on the back end of my teaching career and I knew what worked and what didn't. So I would do what I could to implement the Dance mandates (like a good soldier) and found they didn't work and went back to what worked based on 25 years of experience. Reprimands be hanged. I am a teacher not a paper pusher. The students need to learn NOW...!!!!!

So guess what I broke the rules...I taught not filled out paperwork. My energy went into the class room not some faceless office admin.

So on average....my students grades and performance increased to over 25-46% of what there grades had been before I got there. (I took over for a teacher that was leaving).

So what is the bottom line... to me, you can implement all the fancy things you want...forms, studies etc. etc.  A teacher knows what is needed...well a good teacher. Also you can not mandate, certify a good teacher.... a good teacher is just that...like a pro athlete ... you can improve ... but you got it or you don't....regardless of the pedigree.

Sorry for the ramble/rant.

a shame.  he will be missed.  he had some great ideas and has a huge future ahead of him

The quote about flying the plane while building it can be found in the book "The Prize" about the Newark school system..

So your point?

Whaaattt ...now that is a holy poop.

As a former teacher we and my fellow teacher always suspected he was a gunslinger brought in to shake things up and leave.

However, this is so sudden I wonder if he got caught with his hand in the 'cookie jar' again and was given 'the option of'.

Funny...I am sure that many will be sorry to see him go....others won't even bother to say 'don't let the door hit you in the butt'

Personally, I thought Dallas made one fatal mistake when he came in .... he (and the state with core wanted all these things done...yesterday. No regard for the teachers or students. Dallas was Picard (STNG) 'Make it so' and walked away.

So what will be interesting is to see what pin head they get this time. Too many academics/big degree people running things....they and all schools need to go back to promoting from within from teachers and principle with RECENT  teaching experience.

There is absolutely no need to insult Jean Luc Picard by comparing him to Dallas Dance.  :D

Posted (edited)

no surprise.... everybody knew the glib Mr. Dance was a short timer

Edited by boink

WOW...

He almost has this wannabe Jamal Bryant look about him doesnt he?

There is absolutely more to this story

Most people believe he was a wonderkund who may or may not have gotten where he is on his own merits. 

Others believe he implimented change too quickly. 

Parents were split on him because he did not promote teaching the way they themselves were taught 20 years ago. Others were happy that he made BalCo take a step into modernity with computers.

The truth is somewhere inbetween and it is probably true that he was hired as a change agent, it is also true that Baltimore County could probably run on autopilot as a wealthy, majority white suburan school district.

I wonder what too fast means though in the complaints about educational reform/progress. A grade school turns its entire student population over every 5 years, a middle school 3, high schools 4, how long should it take to change a process in high school. I know some teachers who would say not till I retire. Other problems in the county have barely budged-- more school segregation on the westside, no real push to change enrollment demographics. 

We will see who the board picks next. 

Posted (edited)

Surprised he didn't succeed, I guess you could say we shouldn't be surprised since he was so polarizing and was hired right out of his tweentys with no experience and would have never been hired if he was white BUT he was very articulate.

Edited by genghiskhanraven