Rael

Dallas Dance resigns

104 posts in this topic

I'll always associate Dance with the disastrous A day/B day schedule, a policy of graduating as many students as possible, driving down academic standards, an increase in class sizes, a focus on "college and career" readiness at the expense of responsible citizenship in a democratic society, a strictly hierarchical management structure where education experts dictate to those who have teaching experience, and an over reliance on technology at the expense of reading and writing, 

I'll always associate Dance with the disastrous A day/B day schedule, a policy of graduating as many students as possible, driving down academic standards, an increase in class sizes, a focus on "college and career" readiness at the expense of responsible citizenship in a democratic society, a strictly hierarchical management structure where education experts dictate to those who have teaching experience, and an over reliance on technology at the expense of reading and writing, 

You sound like you're coming from the Hereford Zone. But on balance I agree with you. A day /B day started back in 1998, but it was Dance who forced that schedule on every high school in Baltimore County, with Hereford being the most vocal opposition. 

Surprised he didn't succeed, I guess you could say we shouldn't be surprised since he was so polarizing and was hired right out of his tweentys with no experience and would have never been hired if he was white BUT he was very articulate.

Complete BS

The guy is very smart but your racism won't allow you to believe he was hired based on merit

yea sure a white guy with 8 years work experience whose a graduate of second and third tier schools like Virginia Union and VCU is really going to be hired to run a 2 billion, 18,000 staff, 100K student school system at the AGE OF 30.

why do people have to LIE when they know the guy would have never been hired as Superintendent if he was white.

Dallas Dance was an affirmative action hire who wasn't very bright since he got in trouble doing the same unethical crap with going on the take that got his predecessor fired.  

Dance was articulate though, liberals like to overreach and put articulate minorities into positions they're under qualified for, when they fail they shouldn't act so surprised.  

Edited by genghiskhanraven

yea sure a white guy with 8 years work experience whose a graduate of second and third tier schools like Virginia Union and VCU is really going to be hired to run a 2 billion, 18,000 staff, 100K student school system at the AGE OF 30.

why do people have to LIE when they know the guy would have never been hired as Superintendent if he was white.

Dallas Dance was an affirmative action hire who wasn't very bright since he got in trouble doing the same unethical crap with going on the take that got his predecessor fired.

Dance was articulate though, liberals like to overreach and put articulate minorities into positions they're under qualified for, when they fail they shouldn't act so surprised.

I'm sure Dance's experience running Houston TX's school system (much larger system than Baltimore County) played no part in his being hired to run BCPS :rolleyes:

Prior to his appointment in Baltimore County, Dr. Dance served as one of three chief school officers responsible for the administration of nearly 300 schools in the Houston Independent School District, the seventh largest school system in the nation. (Baltimore County is the 25th largest) Before his tenure in Houston, Dr. Dance served in executive leadership positions in Virginia that leveraged his expertise in curriculum, instruction, assessment, school improvement, and strategic planning.

https://www.bcps.org/offices/super/full_bio.html

Edited by soulflower

who the hell are you kidding

Dance wasn't the Superintendent in Houston, he was hired at the ripe old age of 30 to lead the middle schools in Houston and quit at age 31 to take over BCPS. Sooo ya really think he did such a wonderful job in that 1 year in Houston that he deserved to be promoted to lead one of the biggest school systems in the Country? or maybe he got the gig because hes Black.

He was an English teacher for 2 years and was hired to be Principal  at the age of 24 because he was born with the right skill color, unless someone can find me an example of a 24 year old white principal out there to prove me wrong.

the idea that their is any Institutional racism is such a joke, look at Dallas job hopper Dance as a case study, their is institutional discrimination out there and its done by liberals to give promotions and favoritism to minorities.

who the hell are you kidding

Dance wasn't the Superintendent in Houston, he was hired at the ripe old age of 30 to lead the middle schools in Houston and quit at age 31 to take over BCPS. Sooo ya really think he did such a wonderful job in that 1 year in Houston that he deserved to be promoted to lead one of the biggest school systems in the Country? or maybe he got the gig because hes Black.

He was an English teacher for 2 years and was hired to be Principal at the age of 24 because he was born with the right skill color, unless someone can find me an example of a 24 year old white principal out there to prove me wrong.

the idea that their is any Institutional racism is such a joke, look at Dallas job hopper Dance as a case study, their is institutional discrimination out there and its done by liberals to give promotions and favoritism to minorities.

Mr Dance has a PhD. What's the highest degree that you've earned?

Im sure white 20-something principles exist. Especially in the South where there aren't strong Teachers Unions

Your racism is over the top this AM

Edited by soulflower

Soulflower,

You are making the point that he had even less credibility while in Houston.  I read enough executive resumes to hire (and fire) executives all the time.  I can sort through BS, too.   When a resume claims the person "developed strategic plans with a Harvard Partnership."  SO WHAT.  Most Strategic Plans do not add up to the cost of printing the memo.  A Strategic Plan is one step above an 8 year old's Christmas wish list to Santa.  

Do not drive the discussion to race.  Its about qualifications.

Soulflower, your denial of facts and reality is duly noted this Morning.

please tell me that if Dallas Dance was white it wouldn't matter and he would still have been hired as BCPS superintendent at age 30, I need a REAL GOOD laugh 

Most big district superintendants move around. It is extraordinarily rare to serve more than two terms in any school district as supertinedent. Baltimore county has been no exception as they have gone throught Dubell, Berger, Marchione, Hairston, and now Dance in the last years.

If the complaint about Dance is that he is, was now, too young, what did he do wrong?

What should he have done. Baltimore County Public Schools are now without problems, and growning pains, he may not have been the most adept at addressing them, but they have not magically gone away. 

Soulflower,

You are making the point that he had even less credibility while in Houston. I read enough executive resumes to hire (and fire) executives all the time. I can sort through BS, too. When a resume claims the person "developed strategic plans with a Harvard Partnership." SO WHAT. Most Strategic Plans do not add up to the cost of printing the memo. A Strategic Plan is one step above an 8 year old's Christmas wish list to Santa.

Do not drive the discussion to race. Its about qualifications.

I'm not the one who brought up Race. See Genghis' posts

Soulflower, your denial of facts and reality is duly noted this Morning.

please tell me that if Dallas Dance was white it wouldn't matter and he would still have been hired as BCPS superintendent at age 30, I need a REAL GOOD laugh

I have no idea.

Mr Dance is very bright and ambitious. Not everyone (regardless of Race) has the same Drive he has.

And despite haters like you, he's got a successful record at BCPS

I'd like to see your life's accomplishments compared to Dallas'

Bright and ambitious sounds great but it doesn't amount to much. Apparently, Dance is an accomplished job surfer.

Ambitious people tend not to stay in the same job very long

How many years did the chosen one spend teaching in an elementary , middle, or high school classroom? It appears to me that he practically skipped that step and suddenly became competent enough to supervise, and then manage, vastly more experienced people.

Proving my point again.  Ambition does not equate to accomplishments unless you believe every exaggerated bullet in a resume.  Go back to all of those accomplishments and see what the status is 5, 10 years after departure. 

Sun Article expresses shock that he just quit without giving ANY explanation.

Pretty selfish of Dallas Dance to go out like that and make the liberal affirmative action folks that took a huge leap of faith to hire  him look really bad.

Well, there is the little tidbit the governor put out there. About actually wanting the city schools to be accountable for the all the money sent to them.  Interesting this top qualified guy bails just after that starts to come into play.

Plus, doesn't he make near 400K per year?  I would have to have a real good offer to leave that job.

Well, there is the little tidbit the governor put out there. About actually wanting the city schools to be accountable for the all the money sent to them.  Interesting this top qualified guy bails just after that starts to come into play.

Plus, doesn't he make near 400K per year?  I would have to have a real good offer to leave that job.

His salary with BCPS is $287,000. 

he will probably get hired by the same companies he got in trouble with violating those ethics policies when he first started the job.

He should make a lot more selling to schools from a job in the private sector, he's an articulate black man and these private sector education firms will take notice that he's a memorizing pied piper type to all the white guilt liberals that run big school systems. The fact that he got hired with his lack of experience at the age of 30 proves he can sell these liberals snake oil

his total comp was easily in the 350K to 400K range.

The sun wrote back in 2014 that he received a bump up in bonuses, cashing out unused vacation and the County paid $22,000 In retirement contributions all on top of his base.

For an executive running a billion plus 18,000 employee system the compensation is fine and what you need to get a quality person. he would have deserved that pay, the issue with Dance is that he should have never been hired in the first place and didn't earn that job though experience and past success. he was all flash and shine and no substance which is why he got into ethics trouble right out of the gate and why he went out quitting like an immature high school kid walking away from a part time summer job down the beach.  

I'm predicting that the other shoe will drop shortly. Another ethical lapse?

He seemed to be a very polarizing leader, and I hope my county can do a lot better with his replacement.