Rael

Dallas Dance resigns

104 posts in this topic

he will probably get hired by the same companies he got in trouble with violating those ethics policies when he first started the job.

He should make a lot more selling to schools from a job in the private sector, he's an articulate black man and these private sector education firms will take notice that he's a memorizing pied piper type to all the white guilt liberals that run big school systems. The fact that he got hired with his lack of experience at the age of 30 proves he can sell these liberals snake oil

Dance has more skills and experience in his pinky than President Trump who has no government experience and sold people like you Snake Oil

There's no evidence that he did anything unethical or is being forced out.

It's all speculation at this point

Edited by soulflower

I'm predicting that the other shoe will drop shortly. Another ethical lapse?

He seemed to be a very polarizing leader, and I hope my county can do a lot better with his replacement.

He definitely is polarizing.

I don't know if it was more his youthful ambition or his Race that rubbed some folks the wrong way

But based on everything I've read about him the past few years, he's been mostly successful at his job

From the Sun article on Dance:

During this tenure, he has been an energetic and charismatic leader of Maryland's third-largest school system. He won praise for new programs, such as providing laptops to students and offering Spanish in elementary schools, and for training teachers and principals to avoid racial bias.

The county's graduation rate rose during every year of his tenure, and last year for the first time the rate for black and white students was the same — 89 percent.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/education/k-12/bs-md-co-dallas-dance-20170418-story.html

Edited by soulflower

Whaaattt ...now that is a holy poop.

As a former teacher we and my fellow teacher always suspected he was a gunslinger brought in to shake things up and leave.

However, this is so sudden I wonder if he got caught with his hand in the 'cookie jar' again and was given 'the option of'.

Funny...I am sure that many will be sorry to see him go....others won't even bother to say 'don't let the door hit you in the butt'

Personally, I thought Dallas made one fatal mistake when he came in .... he (and the state with core wanted all these things done...yesterday. No regard for the teachers or students. Dallas was Picard (STNG) 'Make it so' and walked away.

So what will be interesting is to see what pin head they get this time. Too many academics/big degree people running things....they and all schools need to go back to promoting from within from teachers and principle with RECENT  teaching experience.

I have heard that he has been trying to get a new job for months but no takers.

a shame.  he will be missed.  he had some great ideas and has a huge future ahead of him

Why do you say that? He rose far past his experience dictated that he should have risen. He accomplished little except spending money without results, and he demoralized the vast majority who worked for him.

Complete BS

The guy is very smart but your racism won't allow you to believe he was hired based on merit

Considering they had to ignore their own prerequisites for the position and hired him without the required class time, it is no wonder people question the rationale for his hiring. 

Why do you say that? He rose far past his experience dictated that he should have risen. He accomplished little except spending money without results, and he demoralized the vast majority who worked for him.

Five years isn't a reasonable amount of time to judge his accomplishments/failures but FWIW, the Baltimore County graduation rate increasing each year of his tenure is an accomplishment

Well, there is the little tidbit the governor put out there. About actually wanting the city schools to be accountable for the all the money sent to them.  Interesting this top qualified guy bails just after that starts to come into play.

Plus, doesn't he make near 400K per year?  I would have to have a real good offer to leave that job.

Dr. Dance is superintendent of Baltimore County schools.

I'm predicting that the other shoe will drop shortly. Another ethical lapse?

He seemed to be a very polarizing leader, and I hope my county can do a lot better with his replacement.

If I was guessing ethics I would guess it involves harassment. He left too quickly.

Five years isn't a reasonable amount of time to judge his accomplishments/failures but FWIW, the Baltimore County graduation rate increasing each year of his tenure is an accomplishment

Not really. It just means lowering standards.

Most people believe he was a wonderkund who may or may not have gotten where he is on his own merits. 

Others believe he implimented change too quickly. 

Parents were split on him because he did not promote teaching the way they themselves were taught 20 years ago. Others were happy that he made BalCo take a step into modernity with computers.

The truth is somewhere inbetween and it is probably true that he was hired as a change agent, it is also true that Baltimore County could probably run on autopilot as a wealthy, majority white suburan school district.

I wonder what too fast means though in the complaints about educational reform/progress. A grade school turns its entire student population over every 5 years, a middle school 3, high schools 4, how long should it take to change a process in high school. I know some teachers who would say not till I retire. Other problems in the county have barely budged-- more school segregation on the westside, no real push to change enrollment demographics. 

We will see who the board picks next.

Well if consider  at 40% white, 38.9% black, remainder various minorities...that the whites have a majority? :rolleyes:

Again I and my wife taught in the system for many years. Our and many parents 'gripe' was not about change, but rather the lack of planning (like the elementary school curriculum roll out) and to many things at one time (Core, Stem, grading on and on.).

Core was pretty much the biggest problem. On the one hand the county expected a semesters worth of lesson plans by date X and based on the requirements coming from the county. Problem was that those requirements were always late or non-existent. MMMMMaaaybbeee you got some requirements a few days before they were do....then teachers got pinged for them being late.

I could write a book on all this ... a very thick book. :angry:

I didn't like that he eliminated teacher positions, increasing class size, and expanded the management positions that seek greater control and conformity from the schools. With his focus on technology, I got the impression that he saw teachers as increasingly obsolete.

Edited by hst2

You sound like you're coming from the Hereford Zone. But on balance I agree with you. A day /B day started back in 1998, but it was Dance who forced that schedule on every high school in Baltimore County, with Hereford being the most vocal opposition.

Did they have a semesterized system, where the class meets everyday for 90 minutes.

Mr Dance has a PhD. What's the highest degree that you've earned?

Im sure white 20-something principles exist. Especially in the South where there aren't strong Teachers Unions

Your racism is over the top this AM

Soul....PhD...generally means Piled Higher and Deeper. That is experience speaking. Most anyone (white and black) is a very rare bird that can apply an PhD to the real world (except Dr's). Why....because although a great test of fortitude and the ability to assimilate knowledge doesn't also (I say hardly ever) translate to usable in the real world.

That being said I don't doubt it was very hard work to attain. But at what cost? How can someone work a full time job AND knock out a PhD in that time frame...something came up short. Again experience here, anyone in any job that moves up that fast is suspect. Gets that ring and moves on is suspect. I have seen too many of these 'wonders' or as I prefer 'gun-slingers' that come in make changes shake things up, LOOK real good and move on before the damage of what they did can be evaluated and blame applied.

So in a nutshell be that person black white pink or purple what I said applies.

Dance has more skills and experience in his pinky than President Trump who has no government experience and sold people like you Snake Oil

There's no evidence that he did anything unethical or is being forced out.

It's all speculation at this point

Dance probably does and likely more ethics. However so does my cat. :lol:

Well according to the paper Balt County had a avg of 89% with Blacks exceeding white so something was working. But was it him or the CORE requirements that would have been implemented with or without him?

No way to know.

But an example of bad planning on his part. He came up with the excellent idea that students have laptop computers....essentially their books for their future education in the county. As an IT-er teaching in the county I thought it was . One small problem; most schools did NOT have

• the required networking infrastructure to productively support them. Many school's networks were too old or just plain didn't exist for a long time and some still don't. 
  • did not have a dedicated net. manager to support things. To get full benefit from this type of investment (laptops for all) you can't have a full time teacher trying to do a full time net manager  and expect things to work.
  • did not provide the training necessary so the teachers would be self sufficinent in the classroom

DDDuuuhhh.

Edited by Guido2

Then there is the grading system he implemented this year. Omg.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) my brain has blocked out the details. But wasn't it something like attendance and homework didn't count? And in class testing was minimized (not standardized state required)? But feel good (Johnny came in with both his shoes tied) stuff was elevated?

Edited by Guido2

If I was guessing ethics I would guess it involves harassment. He left too quickly.

No, he didn't. I have a source in the office that said he has been putting his resume's out for months without any takers. 

Well according to the paper Balt County had a avg of 89% with Blacks exceeding white so something was working. But was it him or the CORE requirements that would have been implemented with or without him?

No way to know.

But an example of bad planning on his part. He came up with the excellent idea that students have laptop computers....essentially their books for their future education in the county. As an IT-er teaching in the county I thought it was . One small problem; most schools did NOT have

• the required networking infrastructure to productively support them. Many school's networks were too old or just plain didn't exist for a long time and some still don't. 
  • did not have a dedicated net. manager to support things. To get full benefit from this type of investment (laptops for all) you can't have a full time teacher trying to do a full time net manager  and expect things to work.
  • did not provide the training necessary so the teachers would be self sufficinent in the classroom

DDDuuuhhh.

And, based upon the school my ex wife taught in, I wonder how many of those tablets were "lost" to the area pawn shops. 

Unfortunately (or fortunately) my brain has blocked out the details. But wasn't it something like attendance and homework didn't count? And in class testing was minimized (not standardized state required)? But feel good (Johnny came in with both his shoes tied) stuff was elevated?

Yes, and they have quite a bit of time to "make up" work.

And, based upon the school my ex wife taught in, I wonder how many of those tablets were "lost" to the area pawn shops. 

I have only been out of the system for two years or so. I still have contacts...and they confirm that. However I am at a loss to tell you how they were replaced. And obviously they would have to be replaced as it could be considered to be prejudice not to. Even after a few go missing.

Edited by Guido2

No, he didn't. I have a source in the office that said he has been putting his resume's out for months without any takers.

He must know someone wants him. Unless there is a nice clause in his contract for some cash to live off of for sometime.

Did they have a semesterized system, where the class meets everyday for 90 minutes.

Not sure if they were on the more traditional 7 period day schedule (50 minute classes) or the 4 period day (90 minute classes) schedule. I'll need to get back to you. I do know that A day / B day was an option for high schools in the county until Dance made it mandatory. Hereford was one of the schools that had opted not to go the A day / B day route in large part because of their particular curriculum structure, which the A day/ B day system disrupted. My wife is a retiree from the system and will know the answer to your question. 

But when you quit you usually have the next job lined up. His could have been resume writing because a problem was coming up. 

Follow up - I am informed that they did have a semesterized system, with four 90 minute classes per day each semester. The advantage to that system is that a high school student can ear 8 credits in a year instead of the the 7 that can be earned when the schedule involves a 7 period day of 50 minutes each. With the A day / B day schedule the two semester systen can still be used but the students see their teachers in a particular class every other day instead of every day. From a staffing perspective the A day / B day schedule gives the administration flexibility to staff with part-time teachers for subjects that are hard to staff with full-timers - since such a teacher would work 3 days one week and 2 days the next. Not sure if that's particularly good or bad - depends on the teacher. It also gives schools the opportunity to share full time teachers between two schools - with a teacher doing all A days at one school and all B days at another if the two schools coordinate their days. So there appear to be pros and cons.