94 replies to this topic

#21 AugusteDupin

AugusteDupin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:17 PM

Farewell to the Post Turtle.  (I don't know how he got here but he didn't get here without some help)

It is reasonable to question how a college graduate in 2001 with his first job as a HS English teacher gets his PhD  7 years later, is an adjunct professor at 4 universities one year after that and becomes the Superintendent of the 5th largest school district in the country in 2012.  Can someone explain another profession where an individual can become elevated that fast?

As a military officer, at 32 you are a wet-behind-the-ears Major and a department head in a squadron.  Not the XO or the CO.  You are certainly capable of planning and executing a major strike package  consisting of multiple aircraft with coordinated fires to complete a mission.  You are not a 2 star Flag officer nor a CEO, nor a Superintendent.

Mr. Dance and his security detail (Arriving in 3 SUVs with tinted windows) did less to impress me when they cleared the entrance filled with parents at an elementary school when he arrived to conduct a walk-around. 

WOW...

#22 AugusteDupin

AugusteDupin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:46 PM

He almost has this wannabe Jamal Bryant look about him doesnt he?

#23 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,570 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:13 PM

There is absolutely more to this story

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#24 sparky1

sparky1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:10 AM

Most people believe he was a wonderkund who may or may not have gotten where he is on his own merits. 

Others believe he implimented change too quickly. 

Parents were split on him because he did not promote teaching the way they themselves were taught 20 years ago. Others were happy that he made BalCo take a step into modernity with computers.

The truth is somewhere inbetween and it is probably true that he was hired as a change agent, it is also true that Baltimore County could probably run on autopilot as a wealthy, majority white suburan school district.

I wonder what too fast means though in the complaints about educational reform/progress. A grade school turns its entire student population over every 5 years, a middle school 3, high schools 4, how long should it take to change a process in high school. I know some teachers who would say not till I retire. Other problems in the county have barely budged-- more school segregation on the westside, no real push to change enrollment demographics. 

We will see who the board picks next. 

#25 genghiskhanraven

genghiskhanraven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,329 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:17 AM

Surprised he didn't succeed, I guess you could say we shouldn't be surprised since he was so polarizing and was hired right out of his tweentys with no experience and would have never been hired if he was white BUT he was very articulate.

Edited by genghiskhanraven, 19 April 2017 - 07:18 AM.

#26 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92,563 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:33 AM

So your point?

Its been around.

"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. - HL Mencken

#27 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92,563 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:39 AM

I'll always associate Dance with the disastrous A day/B day schedule, a policy of graduating as many students as possible, driving down academic standards, an increase in class sizes, a focus on "college and career" readiness at the expense of responsible citizenship in a democratic society, a strictly hierarchical management structure where education experts dictate to those who have teaching experience, and an over reliance on technology at the expense of reading and writing, 

"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. - HL Mencken

#28 Papi

Papi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,730 posts
  • LocationHarford County Maryland

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:47 AM

I'll always associate Dance with the disastrous A day/B day schedule, a policy of graduating as many students as possible, driving down academic standards, an increase in class sizes, a focus on "college and career" readiness at the expense of responsible citizenship in a democratic society, a strictly hierarchical management structure where education experts dictate to those who have teaching experience, and an over reliance on technology at the expense of reading and writing, 

You sound like you're coming from the Hereford Zone. But on balance I agree with you. A day /B day started back in 1998, but it was Dance who forced that schedule on every high school in Baltimore County, with Hereford being the most vocal opposition. 

#29 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,381 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:03 AM

Surprised he didn't succeed, I guess you could say we shouldn't be surprised since he was so polarizing and was hired right out of his tweentys with no experience and would have never been hired if he was white BUT he was very articulate.

Complete BS

The guy is very smart but your racism won't allow you to believe he was hired based on merit
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#30 genghiskhanraven

genghiskhanraven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,329 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:19 AM

yea sure a white guy with 8 years work experience whose a graduate of second and third tier schools like Virginia Union and VCU is really going to be hired to run a 2 billion, 18,000 staff, 100K student school system at the AGE OF 30.

why do people have to LIE when they know the guy would have never been hired as Superintendent if he was white.

Dallas Dance was an affirmative action hire who wasn't very bright since he got in trouble doing the same unethical crap with going on the take that got his predecessor fired.  

Dance was articulate though, liberals like to overreach and put articulate minorities into positions they're under qualified for, when they fail they shouldn't act so surprised.  

Edited by genghiskhanraven, 19 April 2017 - 09:20 AM.

#31 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,381 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:37 AM

yea sure a white guy with 8 years work experience whose a graduate of second and third tier schools like Virginia Union and VCU is really going to be hired to run a 2 billion, 18,000 staff, 100K student school system at the AGE OF 30.
why do people have to LIE when they know the guy would have never been hired as Superintendent if he was white.
Dallas Dance was an affirmative action hire who wasn't very bright since he got in trouble doing the same unethical crap with going on the take that got his predecessor fired.

Dance was articulate though, liberals like to overreach and put articulate minorities into positions they're under qualified for, when they fail they shouldn't act so surprised.

I'm sure Dance's experience running Houston TX's school system (much larger system than Baltimore County) played no part in his being hired to run BCPS :rolleyes:

Prior to his appointment in Baltimore County, Dr. Dance served as one of three chief school officers responsible for the administration of nearly 300 schools in the Houston Independent School District, the seventh largest school system in the nation. (Baltimore County is the 25th largest) Before his tenure in Houston, Dr. Dance served in executive leadership positions in Virginia that leveraged his expertise in curriculum, instruction, assessment, school improvement, and strategic planning.

https://www.bcps.org...r/full_bio.html

Edited by soulflower, 19 April 2017 - 09:39 AM.

#32 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,570 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:58 AM

What was the longest he had ever been in a position before coming to Baltimore County?

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#33 genghiskhanraven

genghiskhanraven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,329 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:59 AM

who the hell are you kidding

Dance wasn't the Superintendent in Houston, he was hired at the ripe old age of 30 to lead the middle schools in Houston and quit at age 31 to take over BCPS. Sooo ya really think he did such a wonderful job in that 1 year in Houston that he deserved to be promoted to lead one of the biggest school systems in the Country? or maybe he got the gig because hes Black.

He was an English teacher for 2 years and was hired to be Principal  at the age of 24 because he was born with the right skill color, unless someone can find me an example of a 24 year old white principal out there to prove me wrong.

the idea that their is any Institutional racism is such a joke, look at Dallas job hopper Dance as a case study, their is institutional discrimination out there and its done by liberals to give promotions and favoritism to minorities.

Edited by genghiskhanraven, 19 April 2017 - 10:00 AM.

#34 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,381 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:03 AM

who the hell are you kidding
Dance wasn't the Superintendent in Houston, he was hired at the ripe old age of 30 to lead the middle schools in Houston and quit at age 31 to take over BCPS. Sooo ya really think he did such a wonderful job in that 1 year in Houston that he deserved to be promoted to lead one of the biggest school systems in the Country? or maybe he got the gig because hes Black.

He was an English teacher for 2 years and was hired to be Principal at the age of 24 because he was born with the right skill color, unless someone can find me an example of a 24 year old white principal out there to prove me wrong.
the idea that their is any Institutional racism is such a joke, look at Dallas job hopper Dance as a case study, their is institutional discrimination out there and its done by liberals to give promotions and favoritism to minorities.

Mr Dance has a PhD. What's the highest degree that you've earned?

Im sure white 20-something principles exist. Especially in the South where there aren't strong Teachers Unions

Your racism is over the top this AM

Edited by soulflower, 19 April 2017 - 10:04 AM.

#35 ErieCanal

ErieCanal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

Soulflower,

You are making the point that he had even less credibility while in Houston.  I read enough executive resumes to hire (and fire) executives all the time.  I can sort through BS, too.   When a resume claims the person "developed strategic plans with a Harvard Partnership."  SO WHAT.  Most Strategic Plans do not add up to the cost of printing the memo.  A Strategic Plan is one step above an 8 year old's Christmas wish list to Santa.  

Do not drive the discussion to race.  Its about qualifications.

#36 genghiskhanraven

genghiskhanraven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,329 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:05 AM

Soulflower, your denial of facts and reality is duly noted this Morning.

please tell me that if Dallas Dance was white it wouldn't matter and he would still have been hired as BCPS superintendent at age 30, I need a REAL GOOD laugh 

Edited by genghiskhanraven, 19 April 2017 - 10:06 AM.

#37 sparky1

sparky1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

Most big district superintendants move around. It is extraordinarily rare to serve more than two terms in any school district as supertinedent. Baltimore county has been no exception as they have gone throught Dubell, Berger, Marchione, Hairston, and now Dance in the last years.

If the complaint about Dance is that he is, was now, too young, what did he do wrong?

What should he have done. Baltimore County Public Schools are now without problems, and growning pains, he may not have been the most adept at addressing them, but they have not magically gone away. 

#38 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,381 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:07 AM

Soulflower,

You are making the point that he had even less credibility while in Houston. I read enough executive resumes to hire (and fire) executives all the time. I can sort through BS, too. When a resume claims the person "developed strategic plans with a Harvard Partnership." SO WHAT. Most Strategic Plans do not add up to the cost of printing the memo. A Strategic Plan is one step above an 8 year old's Christmas wish list to Santa.

Do not drive the discussion to race. Its about qualifications.

I'm not the one who brought up Race. See Genghis' posts

#39 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,381 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:16 AM

Soulflower, your denial of facts and reality is duly noted this Morning.
please tell me that if Dallas Dance was white it wouldn't matter and he would still have been hired as BCPS superintendent at age 30, I need a REAL GOOD laugh

I have no idea.

Mr Dance is very bright and ambitious. Not everyone (regardless of Race) has the same Drive he has.

And despite haters like you, he's got a successful record at BCPS

I'd like to see your life's accomplishments compared to Dallas'

#40 ErieCanal

ErieCanal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:24 AM

Bright and ambitious sounds great but it doesn't amount to much.  Apparently, Dance is an accomplished job surfer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users