demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,570 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:24 AM

I need a REAL GOOD laugh 

You need a lot of things.  Unfortunately most of them are not coming your way fast enough. 

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#42 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,381 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:36 AM

Bright and ambitious sounds great but it doesn't amount to much. Apparently, Dance is an accomplished job surfer.

Ambitious people tend not to stay in the same job very long
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#43 Manny

Manny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,509 posts
  • LocationEastern Shore of Maryland

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:42 AM

How many years did the chosen one spend teaching in an elementary , middle, or high school classroom? It appears to me that he practically skipped that step and suddenly became competent enough to supervise, and then manage, vastly more experienced people.

#44 ErieCanal

ErieCanal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

Proving my point again.  Ambition does not equate to accomplishments unless you believe every exaggerated bullet in a resume.  Go back to all of those accomplishments and see what the status is 5, 10 years after departure. 

#45 Manny

Manny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,509 posts
  • LocationEastern Shore of Maryland

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:44 AM

Will he now collect a generous lifetime pension for his couple years of service?

#46 overtaxed

overtaxed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:43 AM

Sun Article expresses shock that he just quit without giving ANY explanation.

Pretty selfish of Dallas Dance to go out like that and make the liberal affirmative action folks that took a huge leap of faith to hire  him look really bad.

Well, there is the little tidbit the governor put out there. About actually wanting the city schools to be accountable for the all the money sent to them.  Interesting this top qualified guy bails just after that starts to come into play.

Plus, doesn't he make near 400K per year?  I would have to have a real good offer to leave that job.

#47 Papi

Papi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,730 posts
  • LocationHarford County Maryland

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:51 AM

Well, there is the little tidbit the governor put out there. About actually wanting the city schools to be accountable for the all the money sent to them.  Interesting this top qualified guy bails just after that starts to come into play.

Plus, doesn't he make near 400K per year?  I would have to have a real good offer to leave that job.

His salary with BCPS is $287,000. 

#48 genghiskhanraven

genghiskhanraven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,329 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:52 AM

he will probably get hired by the same companies he got in trouble with violating those ethics policies when he first started the job.

He should make a lot more selling to schools from a job in the private sector, he's an articulate black man and these private sector education firms will take notice that he's a memorizing pied piper type to all the white guilt liberals that run big school systems. The fact that he got hired with his lack of experience at the age of 30 proves he can sell these liberals snake oil

Edited by genghiskhanraven, 19 April 2017 - 11:53 AM.

#49 genghiskhanraven

genghiskhanraven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,329 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:18 PM

his total comp was easily in the 350K to 400K range.

The sun wrote back in 2014 that he received a bump up in bonuses, cashing out unused vacation and the County paid $22,000 In retirement contributions all on top of his base.

For an executive running a billion plus 18,000 employee system the compensation is fine and what you need to get a quality person. he would have deserved that pay, the issue with Dance is that he should have never been hired in the first place and didn't earn that job though experience and past success. he was all flash and shine and no substance which is why he got into ethics trouble right out of the gate and why he went out quitting like an immature high school kid walking away from a part time summer job down the beach.  

Edited by genghiskhanraven, 19 April 2017 - 12:18 PM.

#50 regularguy

regularguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,116 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:58 PM

I'm predicting that the other shoe will drop shortly. Another ethical lapse?

He seemed to be a very polarizing leader, and I hope my county can do a lot better with his replacement.

#51 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,381 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:17 PM

he will probably get hired by the same companies he got in trouble with violating those ethics policies when he first started the job.
He should make a lot more selling to schools from a job in the private sector, he's an articulate black man and these private sector education firms will take notice that he's a memorizing pied piper type to all the white guilt liberals that run big school systems. The fact that he got hired with his lack of experience at the age of 30 proves he can sell these liberals snake oil

Dance has more skills and experience in his pinky than President Trump who has no government experience and sold people like you Snake Oil

There's no evidence that he did anything unethical or is being forced out.

It's all speculation at this point

Edited by soulflower, 19 April 2017 - 01:19 PM.

#52 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,381 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:25 PM

He seemed to be a very polarizing leader, and I hope my county can do a lot better with his replacement.

He definitely is polarizing.

I don't know if it was more his youthful ambition or his Race that rubbed some folks the wrong way

But based on everything I've read about him the past few years, he's been mostly successful at his job

From the Sun article on Dance:

During this tenure, he has been an energetic and charismatic leader of Maryland's third-largest school system. He won praise for new programs, such as providing laptops to students and offering Spanish in elementary schools, and for training teachers and principals to avoid racial bias.

The county's graduation rate rose during every year of his tenure, and last year for the first time the rate for black and white students was the same — 89 percent.

http://www.baltimore...0418-story.html

Edited by soulflower, 19 April 2017 - 01:31 PM.

#53 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:32 PM

Whaaattt ...now that is a holy poop.

As a former teacher we and my fellow teacher always suspected he was a gunslinger brought in to shake things up and leave.

However, this is so sudden I wonder if he got caught with his hand in the 'cookie jar' again and was given 'the option of'.

Funny...I am sure that many will be sorry to see him go....others won't even bother to say 'don't let the door hit you in the butt'

Personally, I thought Dallas made one fatal mistake when he came in .... he (and the state with core wanted all these things done...yesterday. No regard for the teachers or students. Dallas was Picard (STNG) 'Make it so' and walked away.

So what will be interesting is to see what pin head they get this time. Too many academics/big degree people running things....they and all schools need to go back to promoting from within from teachers and principle with RECENT  teaching experience.

I have heard that he has been trying to get a new job for months but no takers.

Pessimism is just an ugly word for 'pattern recognition'.

#54 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:36 PM

a shame.  he will be missed.  he had some great ideas and has a huge future ahead of him

Why do you say that? He rose far past his experience dictated that he should have risen. He accomplished little except spending money without results, and he demoralized the vast majority who worked for him.

#55 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:38 PM

Complete BS

The guy is very smart but your racism won't allow you to believe he was hired based on merit

Considering they had to ignore their own prerequisites for the position and hired him without the required class time, it is no wonder people question the rationale for his hiring. 

#56 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,381 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:45 PM

Why do you say that? He rose far past his experience dictated that he should have risen. He accomplished little except spending money without results, and he demoralized the vast majority who worked for him.

Five years isn't a reasonable amount of time to judge his accomplishments/failures but FWIW, the Baltimore County graduation rate increasing each year of his tenure is an accomplishment

#57 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,603 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:43 PM

Dr. Dance is superintendent of Baltimore County schools.
Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#58 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,710 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:08 PM

If I was guessing ethics I would guess it involves harassment. He left too quickly.

#59 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92,563 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:26 PM

Five years isn't a reasonable amount of time to judge his accomplishments/failures but FWIW, the Baltimore County graduation rate increasing each year of his tenure is an accomplishment

Not really. It just means lowering standards.
"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. - HL Mencken

#60 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,745 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:31 PM

Most people believe he was a wonderkund who may or may not have gotten where he is on his own merits. 

Others believe he implimented change too quickly. 

Parents were split on him because he did not promote teaching the way they themselves were taught 20 years ago. Others were happy that he made BalCo take a step into modernity with computers.

The truth is somewhere inbetween and it is probably true that he was hired as a change agent, it is also true that Baltimore County could probably run on autopilot as a wealthy, majority white suburan school district.

I wonder what too fast means though in the complaints about educational reform/progress. A grade school turns its entire student population over every 5 years, a middle school 3, high schools 4, how long should it take to change a process in high school. I know some teachers who would say not till I retire. Other problems in the county have barely budged-- more school segregation on the westside, no real push to change enrollment demographics. 

We will see who the board picks next.

Well if consider  at 40% white, 38.9% black, remainder various minorities...that the whites have a majority? :rolleyes:

Again I and my wife taught in the system for many years. Our and many parents 'gripe' was not about change, but rather the lack of planning (like the elementary school curriculum roll out) and to many things at one time (Core, Stem, grading on and on.).

Core was pretty much the biggest problem. On the one hand the county expected a semesters worth of lesson plans by date X and based on the requirements coming from the county. Problem was that those requirements were always late or non-existent. MMMMMaaaybbeee you got some requirements a few days before they were do....then teachers got pinged for them being late.

I could write a book on all this ... a very thick book. :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users