• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92,563 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:37 PM

I didn't like that he eliminated teacher positions, increasing class size, and expanded the management positions that seek greater control and conformity from the schools. With his focus on technology, I got the impression that he saw teachers as increasingly obsolete.

Edited by hst2, 19 April 2017 - 05:39 PM.

"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. - HL Mencken

#62 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92,563 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:38 PM

You sound like you're coming from the Hereford Zone. But on balance I agree with you. A day /B day started back in 1998, but it was Dance who forced that schedule on every high school in Baltimore County, with Hereford being the most vocal opposition.

Did they have a semesterized system, where the class meets everyday for 90 minutes.
"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. - HL Mencken

#63 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,745 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:45 PM

Mr Dance has a PhD. What's the highest degree that you've earned?

Im sure white 20-something principles exist. Especially in the South where there aren't strong Teachers Unions

Your racism is over the top this AM

Soul....PhD...generally means Piled Higher and Deeper. That is experience speaking. Most anyone (white and black) is a very rare bird that can apply an PhD to the real world (except Dr's). Why....because although a great test of fortitude and the ability to assimilate knowledge doesn't also (I say hardly ever) translate to usable in the real world.

That being said I don't doubt it was very hard work to attain. But at what cost? How can someone work a full time job AND knock out a PhD in that time frame...something came up short. Again experience here, anyone in any job that moves up that fast is suspect. Gets that ring and moves on is suspect. I have seen too many of these 'wonders' or as I prefer 'gun-slingers' that come in make changes shake things up, LOOK real good and move on before the damage of what they did can be evaluated and blame applied.

So in a nutshell be that person black white pink or purple what I said applies.

#64 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,745 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:51 PM

Dance has more skills and experience in his pinky than President Trump who has no government experience and sold people like you Snake Oil

There's no evidence that he did anything unethical or is being forced out.

It's all speculation at this point

Dance probably does and likely more ethics. However so does my cat. :lol:

#65 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,745 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:57 PM

Why do you say that? He rose far past his experience dictated that he should have risen. He accomplished little except spending money without results, and he demoralized the vast majority who worked for him.

Well according to the paper Balt County had a avg of 89% with Blacks exceeding white so something was working. But was it him or the CORE requirements that would have been implemented with or without him?

No way to know.

But an example of bad planning on his part. He came up with the excellent idea that students have laptop computers....essentially their books for their future education in the county. As an IT-er teaching in the county I thought it was . One small problem; most schools did NOT have

• the required networking infrastructure to productively support them. Many school's networks were too old or just plain didn't exist for a long time and some still don't. 
  • did not have a dedicated net. manager to support things. To get full benefit from this type of investment (laptops for all) you can't have a full time teacher trying to do a full time net manager  and expect things to work.
  • did not provide the training necessary so the teachers would be self sufficinent in the classroom

DDDuuuhhh.

Edited by Guido2, 19 April 2017 - 06:06 PM.

#66 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92,563 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:31 PM

Then there is the grading system he implemented this year. Omg.

#67 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,745 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:08 PM

Then there is the grading system he implemented this year. Omg.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) my brain has blocked out the details. But wasn't it something like attendance and homework didn't count? And in class testing was minimized (not standardized state required)? But feel good (Johnny came in with both his shoes tied) stuff was elevated?

Edited by Guido2, 19 April 2017 - 08:08 PM.

#68 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:31 PM

If I was guessing ethics I would guess it involves harassment. He left too quickly.

No, he didn't. I have a source in the office that said he has been putting his resume's out for months without any takers. 

Pessimism is just an ugly word for 'pattern recognition'.

#69 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:34 PM

Well according to the paper Balt County had a avg of 89% with Blacks exceeding white so something was working. But was it him or the CORE requirements that would have been implemented with or without him?

No way to know.

But an example of bad planning on his part. He came up with the excellent idea that students have laptop computers....essentially their books for their future education in the county. As an IT-er teaching in the county I thought it was . One small problem; most schools did NOT have

• the required networking infrastructure to productively support them. Many school's networks were too old or just plain didn't exist for a long time and some still don't. 
  • did not have a dedicated net. manager to support things. To get full benefit from this type of investment (laptops for all) you can't have a full time teacher trying to do a full time net manager  and expect things to work.
  • did not provide the training necessary so the teachers would be self sufficinent in the classroom

DDDuuuhhh.

And, based upon the school my ex wife taught in, I wonder how many of those tablets were "lost" to the area pawn shops. 

Pessimism is just an ugly word for 'pattern recognition'.

#70 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92,563 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:35 AM

Unfortunately (or fortunately) my brain has blocked out the details. But wasn't it something like attendance and homework didn't count? And in class testing was minimized (not standardized state required)? But feel good (Johnny came in with both his shoes tied) stuff was elevated?

Yes, and they have quite a bit of time to "make up" work.

#71 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,745 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:10 PM

And, based upon the school my ex wife taught in, I wonder how many of those tablets were "lost" to the area pawn shops. 

I have only been out of the system for two years or so. I still have contacts...and they confirm that. However I am at a loss to tell you how they were replaced. And obviously they would have to be replaced as it could be considered to be prejudice not to. Even after a few go missing.

Edited by Guido2, 20 April 2017 - 01:11 PM.

#72 stevez51

stevez51

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,154 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:33 PM

No, he didn't. I have a source in the office that said he has been putting his resume's out for months without any takers.

He must know someone wants him. Unless there is a nice clause in his contract for some cash to live off of for sometime.

#73 Papi

Papi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,730 posts
  • LocationHarford County Maryland

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:40 PM

Did they have a semesterized system, where the class meets everyday for 90 minutes.

Not sure if they were on the more traditional 7 period day schedule (50 minute classes) or the 4 period day (90 minute classes) schedule. I'll need to get back to you. I do know that A day / B day was an option for high schools in the county until Dance made it mandatory. Hereford was one of the schools that had opted not to go the A day / B day route in large part because of their particular curriculum structure, which the A day/ B day system disrupted. My wife is a retiree from the system and will know the answer to your question. 

#74 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,710 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:57 PM

But when you quit you usually have the next job lined up. His could have been resume writing because a problem was coming up. 

#75 Papi

Papi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:31 AM

Follow up - I am informed that they did have a semesterized system, with four 90 minute classes per day each semester. The advantage to that system is that a high school student can ear 8 credits in a year instead of the the 7 that can be earned when the schedule involves a 7 period day of 50 minutes each. With the A day / B day schedule the two semester systen can still be used but the students see their teachers in a particular class every other day instead of every day. From a staffing perspective the A day / B day schedule gives the administration flexibility to staff with part-time teachers for subjects that are hard to staff with full-timers - since such a teacher would work 3 days one week and 2 days the next. Not sure if that's particularly good or bad - depends on the teacher. It also gives schools the opportunity to share full time teachers between two schools - with a teacher doing all A days at one school and all B days at another if the two schools coordinate their days. So there appear to be pros and cons. 

#76 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,745 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

But when you quit you usually have the next job lined up. His could have been resume writing because a problem was coming up. 

As  I see it there are only 3 possible reasons for Dance leaving

1. The job was truly burning him out. I find this one hard to believe since he fought so hard for a commitment (way ahead of time) by the county for a renewal. Hmmm think about that one gang.
  2. He realized that he had over-reached in his vision and would be found out. Looking at his previous track record of slash burn bail ...it fits.
  3. He got caught with his hand in the cookie jar again and was given the option to quietly bow out....or else. :o

#77 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,745 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:49 AM

Follow up - I am informed that they did have a semesterized system, with four 90 minute classes per day each semester. The advantage to that system is that a high school student can ear 8 credits in a year instead of the the 7 that can be earned when the schedule involves a 7 period day of 50 minutes each. With the A day / B day schedule the two semester systen can still be used but the students see their teachers in a particular class every other day instead of every day. From a staffing perspective the A day / B day schedule gives the administration flexibility to staff with part-time teachers for subjects that are hard to staff with full-timers - since such a teacher would work 3 days one week and 2 days the next. Not sure if that's particularly good or bad - depends on the teacher. It also gives schools the opportunity to share full time teachers between two schools - with a teacher doing all A days at one school and all B days at another if the two schools coordinate their days. So there appear to be pros and cons. 

Thanks for the summary. Funny when I was actually following that schedule it didn't seem that messy but now being retired for a couple of years I am amazed it worked so well.

One thing I liked about the 90 minute periods was being able to really really focus and spend time on a topic. Used to be 45 or so ...done...next.

Guess I am showing my age. ;) :D

#78 Papi

Papi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for the summary. Funny when I was actually following that schedule it didn't seem that messy but now being retired for a couple of years I am amazed it worked so well.

One thing I liked about the 90 minute periods was being able to really really focus and spend time on a topic. Used to be 45 or so ...done...next.

Guess I am showing my age. ;) :D

Some teachers like the 90 minute periods and some hate it. It does seem to work better in high school. In middle school the attention span of the kids sometimes does not last for 90 minutes, which I suppose is understandable.

#79 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,745 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:24 AM

Some teachers like the 90 minute periods and some hate it. It does seem to work better in high school. In middle school the attention span of the kids sometimes does not last for 90 minutes, which I suppose is understandable.

Very true on all counts.

I will add, it seemed to me that those that taught the sciences seemed to like it, humanities not so much so based on lunch room discussions.

Which makes perfect sense. In sciences, the general outline of a class is lecture/theory, prep/setup of a lab and then execute the lab. Very time consuming and because of that. many times the three steps had to be broke up under the 'old school' periods,  which did not lead to excellent learning outcomes.

Now with humanities....say history. You can lecture about the battle of Gettysburg...for 90 minutes? Not. As you said lecture for about 30-40 minutes and you have lost them. Now some very creative teaches of history I encountered would follow the model I described above for science.

They would lecture... then have the kids set up a battlefield/diorama... and map out and move the pieces around to reflect the activities of the battle. They taught that on a day by day basis using the actual battles timetable. The following day there was a 'This happened today' lecture....adjust the diorama...get back in groups...what would you have done instead. Very innovative.

But then there are teachers, good teachers and excellent teachers.

Edited by Guido2, 21 April 2017 - 11:26 AM.

#80 Manny

Manny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,509 posts
  • LocationEastern Shore of Maryland

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:22 PM

I didn't like that he eliminated teacher positions, increasing class size, and expanded the management positions that seek greater control and conformity from the schools. With his focus on technology, I got the impression that he saw teachers as increasingly obsolete.

I am sure he approved of you indoctrinating captive students with your looney left ideology.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users