KSweeley

Burning Trump signs can get people charged with a hate crime: Baltimore area women charged with hate crime in burning of Trump sign on Eastern Shore

51 posts in this topic

The idea of categorizing crimes based on racial, ethnic or religous prejudice, crimes against historically marginalized groups, is a good idea. It can be helpful to chart their ebb and flow. Although I'm not sure I support criminalizing it further.

But it does seem to defeat that purpose if they are going to include occupations, like police, or political views. Somehow, this crime doesn't seem quite the same as drawing swastikas on the tombs of Jews.

You were doing fine up to the highlighted above. So you are saying it is OK that a majority group shouldn't be able to register complaints about a racial, ethnic or religious prejudice?

Are you saying that if someone comes to the front of my house puts up a sign that says DIE WHITEY and sets it on fire I don't have legal grounds to go after them on racial grounds?

Are you saying that if someone comes to the front of my church puts up a sign that says CATHOLICS ARE SCUM and sets it on fire the church doesn't have legal grounds to go after them on religious prejudice? BTW the Catholic church has 1.8 billion members....now that is a majority.

I await your reply.