Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnpolitics

Pirates season is over- Matre gets 80 games for PED's

11 posts in this topic

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19186772/pittsburgh-pirates-starling-marte-suspended-80-games

Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder Starling Marte has been suspended 80 games by Major League Baseball after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance, it was announced Tuesday.

Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said Andrew McCutchen will move back to center field with Marte suspended. McCutchen had been moved to right field during the offseason, a move with which he had voiced his displeasure.

McCutchen isn't playing that well and Pittsburgh was trying o trtade him in the off season. 

Huge blow for the Pirates. Even worse is that Marte isn't eligible for the postseason should Pittsburgh qualify.

Once again, a major league baseball player getting caught using steroids and saying he "unintentionally" took the drug.  The only thing missing in his ridiculous statement, was that he thought it was a supplement.  Still waiting for the day when one of them will say, "of course I knew what I was taking, rolled the dice and lost. Now I'll pay the price."  Wouldn't that be a revelation? 

Once again, a major league baseball player getting caught using steroids and saying he "unintentionally" took the drug.  The only thing missing in his ridiculous statement, was that he thought it was a supplement.  Still waiting for the day when one of them will say, "of course I knew what I was taking, rolled the dice and lost. Now I'll pay the price."  Wouldn't that be a revelation? 

Professional athletes are essentially children.

If you come from a poor country and your ticket to making millions of dollars as a pro-baseball player is using PEDs, it's worth the risk

I think the only thing that might end PED use in baseball is a lifetime Ban

If you come from a poor country and your ticket to making millions of dollars as a pro-baseball player is using PEDs, it's worth the risk

I think the only thing that might end PED use in baseball is a lifetime Ban

I think you're right. There just aren't any consequences for getting caught. Sure, they lose some money, but most of the players that get caught, are already established. They already have enough money to retire. Losing wages is obviously not a deterrent. Melky Cabrera is the poster boy for this topic. Gets busted, signs a new contract for more money.

Now that the union is in support of increased punishments, maybe a lifetime ban isn't out of the question. 

How about this for a complicated system. When a player tests positive, they have two choices. 

1) Admit to intentionally using, and you get no suspension. But, for the remainder of your career, you can only earn league minimum pay. Including your current contract, which automatically convert from the existing pay structure to league minimum. 

2) Don't admit that you intentionally used (AKA, "I don't know how that got in me") and you are banned for life.    

I call it the Salem Witch Trial clause  :P

I think you're right. There just aren't any consequences for getting caught. Sure, they lose some money, but most of the players that get caught, are already established. They already have enough money to retire. Losing wages is obviously not a deterrent. Melky Cabrera is the poster boy for this topic. Gets busted, signs a new contract for more money.

Can't forget about Ryan Braun, Nelson Cruz, Johnny Peralta, Dee Gordon, etc

They all got caught but have earned enough to make the risk seem worthwhile

Professional athletes are essentially children.

Adults are essentially children.

Can't forget about Ryan Braun, Nelson Cruz, Johnny Peralta, Dee Gordon, etc

They all got caught but have earned enough to make the risk seem worthwhile

I didn't know about Dee Gordon.