Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
catatonia

4/18 game thread v. the Middling Red Machine

56 posts in this topic

Arroyo has no velocity whatsoever. So runs may be hard to come by for the Orioles lol

You're correct so far...

Posted (edited)

On a lighter note, that was the 5th BB of the season for Jones. A few years ago, wasn't that his season total?

My bad. His low for a full season was 19.

Edited by Struds

Just as the Orioles starting staff starts to receive some National praise, Gausman comes out and does this. So predictable.

Yeah ole Kevin will give you 4 or 5 of these stinkers every year.  Tonight was an embarrassment.  Bundy is so far ahead of this guy it isn't funny.  Bundy is a pitcher and Kevin still is just a thrower in some of these bad outings.  He had no idea what he was doing tonight.

This would be the time to put Ubaldo in the game & make him pitch the rest of the contest. Thoughts?

Posted (edited)

The Orioles middle relief is gonna be a huge problem. These guys absolutely suck

Edited by BayAreaBmore

The Orioles middle relief is gonna be a huge problem. These guys absolutely suck

Yeah Wilson and Nuno look like batting practice pitchers.  Worley under appreciated.

This would be the time to put Ubaldo in the game & make him pitch the rest of the contest. Thoughts?

Why not. He isn't listed as a probable starter through Saturday.

0-2 pitch and the guy hits a granny. Unbelievable

Not really. They had a stat on the radio this evening: Gausman has something like a .407 BAA when ahead in the count, and like .171 when behind. I don't know if those numbers are exact, but they are crazy numbers none the less.

Not really. They had a stat on the radio this evening: Gausman has something like a .407 BAA when ahead in the count, and like .171 when behind. I don't know if those numbers are exact, but they are crazy numbers none the less.

It's .409 and .174.  Pretty nuts but that's just for 2017.  Small sample size thus far and his career (and I assume that of most pitchers) indicates that it will fix itself.

Watch Tyler Wilson put away six straight with 15 pitches in this reverse laugher, and then he'll still be around for when it might matter.

This series won't get any better tomorrow with U-Stinko on the mound.

Meanwhile, Big Dan continues to do nothing to fix the pitching rotation.

If Ubaldo only goes a few innings tomorrow the bullpen is gonna be in rough shape

Do you hit F6 or type that out each time????

Sometimes I wonder if he has much in general. Can't figure out what his problem is. Maybe it's that he came up through the Orioles system which struggles mightily developing talent when it comes to pitchers

Yet many people continue to drool over this guy. He hasn't shown me much of anything. He'll have one good game than a stinker and so on. He is not consistently good, but of course that is the problem with all the Oriole starters. Time to replace the scouting department.

Yet many people continue to drool over this guy. He hasn't shown me much of anything. He'll have one good game than a stinker and so on. He is not consistently good, but of course that is the problem with all the Oriole starters. Time to replace the scouting department.

Gausman continues to fail to live up to his potential.  But maybe this is just who he is.  A guy with a terrific arm that can't figure out how to win ball games.  His career numbers of winning 43% of his games, an ERA a tick above 4 and a WHIP of 1.30 are almost identical to Jeff Smardjen's career numbers. Another guy with terrific arm/stuff that can't win consistently.  Like I said in another thread, forget about Gausman ever becoming an ace. Bundy is the horse you want to bet on.

Gausman continues to fail to live up to his potential.  But maybe this is just who he is.  A guy with a terrific arm that can't figure out how to win ball games.  His career numbers of winning 43% of his games, an ERA a tick above 4 and a WHIP of 1.30 are almost identical to Jeff Smardjen's career numbers. Another guy with terrific arm/stuff that can't win consistently.  Like I said in another thread, forget about Gausman ever becoming an ace. Bundy is the horse you want to bet on.

Wasn't that the same critique used on Arrieta when he pitched for Baltimore?

Wasn't that the same critique used on Arrieta when he pitched for Baltimore?

Gausman is what his numbers say he is.  Until he proves otherwise here or elsewhere.  Hey I still really like his potential,  he may still figure it out to be a solid number 2 starter - think Chris Tillman if he is lucky.

Gausman is what his numbers say he is.  Until he proves otherwise here or elsewhere.  Hey I still really like his potential,  he may still figure it out to be a solid number 2 starter - think Chris Tillman if he is lucky.

The point is that it is still early in his career and time for him to pull it all together. Whether he does it no one knows. But he certainly has the "stuff" to get it done.

The point is that it is still early in his career and time for him to pull it all together. Whether he does it no one knows. But he certainly has the "stuff" to get it done.

Agree.  Just needs to find the consistency.  I'm probably too hard on him, but with that arm , I just keep expecting more.  That performance the other night was every bit as bad as a UJ clunker.  No more free passes from me.  If UJ gets killed for a clunker, so should Gausman.  He is out of diapers now.  Time to pitch with your big boy pants on. 

Do you hit F6 or type that out each time????

??????

Please cite specific examples if you disagree.

Or just hit F6.

??????

Or just hit F6.

My kids took that key lol

Do you hit F6 or type that out each time

??????

Or just hit F6.

Really? Didn't the Orioles just win two games after your initial declaration - AND on the backs of great pitching???

It's also worth noting that he spent next to no time in the minors, and 2016 was the first season in which he was a f/t starter. For all intents and purposes, this is really only his second season as a starting pitcher. And having just turned 26, he hasn't reached the prime years of his career.