Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
catatonia

4/18 game thread v. the Middling Red Machine

56 posts in this topic

It's also worth noting that he spent next to no time in the minors, and 2016 was the first season in which he was a f/t starter. For all intents and purposes, this is really only his second season as a starting pitcher. And having just turned 26, he hasn't reached the prime years of his career.  

Same can be said of Bundy. And IMO, he is the far superior pitcher with even less experience.  Bundy has it.  Gausman, eh, jury still out.  Way out.

Same can be said of Bundy. And IMO, he is the far superior pitcher with even less experience. Bundy has it. Gausman, eh, jury still out. Way out.

Bundy always had more talent. He was looked at as having more talent than anyone in his draft class when he was picked.

Same can be said of Bundy. And IMO, he is the far superior pitcher with even less experience.  Bundy has it.  Gausman, eh, jury still out.  Way out.

Bundy always had more talent. He was looked at as having more talent than anyone in his draft class when he was picked.

No doubt about it. Bundy was projected as a top of the rotation starter. If I remember correctly, KG was projected to top out as a #2?

Bundy seems to have an instinctive feel for pitching, while Gausman, even though his stuff can be electric, doesn't seem to have the same basic instinct regarding what pitch to throw in what situation. I think that's something which can't be taught, and it's a trait shared by all great pitchers throughout the history of baseball.

No doubt about it. Bundy was projected as a top of the rotation starter. If I remember correctly, KG was projected to top out as a #2?

And that's how it's panning out right now. Hopefully Gausman can take that next step and Hunter Harvey can make it back sometime next season to keep things rolling. Those three are definitely the key to our future since buying pitching is not really our way of doing business especially with Machado's contract on the table.

Bundy seems to have an instinctive feel for pitching, while Gausman, even though his stuff can be electric, doesn't seem to have the same basic instinct regarding what pitch to throw in what situation. I think that's something which can't be taught, and it's a trait shared by all great pitchers throughout the history of baseball.

You got it.  Having great talent doesn't always project into wins.  Both Bundy and Gausman were very high draft picks.  I think both 4th overall.  Like you said, Bundy knows how to pitch and well, Gausman trying to still figure it out.  Hey if Gausman tops out at a #2 that will still be very good.  He actually strikes me as being better in that role than the lead guy.  Bundy will carry the ace role quite easily.