• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:10 AM

Yet many people continue to drool over this guy. He hasn't shown me much of anything. He'll have one good game than a stinker and so on. He is not consistently good, but of course that is the problem with all the Oriole starters. Time to replace the scouting department.

Gausman continues to fail to live up to his potential.  But maybe this is just who he is.  A guy with a terrific arm that can't figure out how to win ball games.  His career numbers of winning 43% of his games, an ERA a tick above 4 and a WHIP of 1.30 are almost identical to Jeff Smardjen's career numbers. Another guy with terrific arm/stuff that can't win consistently.  Like I said in another thread, forget about Gausman ever becoming an ace. Bundy is the horse you want to bet on.

#42 ncbirdfan

ncbirdfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:04 AM

Gausman continues to fail to live up to his potential.  But maybe this is just who he is.  A guy with a terrific arm that can't figure out how to win ball games.  His career numbers of winning 43% of his games, an ERA a tick above 4 and a WHIP of 1.30 are almost identical to Jeff Smardjen's career numbers. Another guy with terrific arm/stuff that can't win consistently.  Like I said in another thread, forget about Gausman ever becoming an ace. Bundy is the horse you want to bet on.

Wasn't that the same critique used on Arrieta when he pitched for Baltimore?

#43 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:11 AM

Wasn't that the same critique used on Arrieta when he pitched for Baltimore?

Gausman is what his numbers say he is.  Until he proves otherwise here or elsewhere.  Hey I still really like his potential,  he may still figure it out to be a solid number 2 starter - think Chris Tillman if he is lucky.

#44 ncbirdfan

ncbirdfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:15 AM

Gausman is what his numbers say he is.  Until he proves otherwise here or elsewhere.  Hey I still really like his potential,  he may still figure it out to be a solid number 2 starter - think Chris Tillman if he is lucky.

The point is that it is still early in his career and time for him to pull it all together. Whether he does it no one knows. But he certainly has the "stuff" to get it done.

#45 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:19 AM

The point is that it is still early in his career and time for him to pull it all together. Whether he does it no one knows. But he certainly has the "stuff" to get it done.

Agree.  Just needs to find the consistency.  I'm probably too hard on him, but with that arm , I just keep expecting more.  That performance the other night was every bit as bad as a UJ clunker.  No more free passes from me.  If UJ gets killed for a clunker, so should Gausman.  He is out of diapers now.  Time to pitch with your big boy pants on. 

#46 pitbull

pitbull

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,480 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:09 PM

Do you hit F6 or type that out each time😉

??????

Please cite specific examples if you disagree.

Or just hit F6.

#47 bleedingorangeandblack

bleedingorangeandblack

Proud Father of 4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,110 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:57 AM

??????

Or just hit F6.

My kids took that key lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] O's new slogan

#48 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:44 AM

My kids took that key lol

LOL!!

#49 ncbirdfan

ncbirdfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

This series won't get any better tomorrow with U-Stinko on the mound.

Meanwhile, Big Dan continues to do nothing to fix the pitching rotation.

Do you hit F6 or type that out each time

??????

Or just hit F6.

Really? Didn't the Orioles just win two games after your initial declaration - AND on the backs of great pitching???

#50 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,704 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:25 AM

It's also worth noting that he spent next to no time in the minors, and 2016 was the first season in which he was a f/t starter. For all intents and purposes, this is really only his second season as a starting pitcher. And having just turned 26, he hasn't reached the prime years of his career.  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#51 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:58 AM

It's also worth noting that he spent next to no time in the minors, and 2016 was the first season in which he was a f/t starter. For all intents and purposes, this is really only his second season as a starting pitcher. And having just turned 26, he hasn't reached the prime years of his career.  

Same can be said of Bundy. And IMO, he is the far superior pitcher with even less experience.  Bundy has it.  Gausman, eh, jury still out.  Way out.

#52 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,912 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:26 AM

Same can be said of Bundy. And IMO, he is the far superior pitcher with even less experience. Bundy has it. Gausman, eh, jury still out. Way out.

Bundy always had more talent. He was looked at as having more talent than anyone in his draft class when he was picked.
The kids are alright.

#53 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,704 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:30 AM

Same can be said of Bundy. And IMO, he is the far superior pitcher with even less experience.  Bundy has it.  Gausman, eh, jury still out.  Way out.

Bundy always had more talent. He was looked at as having more talent than anyone in his draft class when he was picked.

No doubt about it. Bundy was projected as a top of the rotation starter. If I remember correctly, KG was projected to top out as a #2?

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#54 mdrunning

mdrunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,628 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

Bundy seems to have an instinctive feel for pitching, while Gausman, even though his stuff can be electric, doesn't seem to have the same basic instinct regarding what pitch to throw in what situation. I think that's something which can't be taught, and it's a trait shared by all great pitchers throughout the history of baseball.

#55 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:43 AM

No doubt about it. Bundy was projected as a top of the rotation starter. If I remember correctly, KG was projected to top out as a #2?

And that's how it's panning out right now. Hopefully Gausman can take that next step and Hunter Harvey can make it back sometime next season to keep things rolling. Those three are definitely the key to our future since buying pitching is not really our way of doing business especially with Machado's contract on the table.

#56 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:53 AM

Bundy seems to have an instinctive feel for pitching, while Gausman, even though his stuff can be electric, doesn't seem to have the same basic instinct regarding what pitch to throw in what situation. I think that's something which can't be taught, and it's a trait shared by all great pitchers throughout the history of baseball.

You got it.  Having great talent doesn't always project into wins.  Both Bundy and Gausman were very high draft picks.  I think both 4th overall.  Like you said, Bundy knows how to pitch and well, Gausman trying to still figure it out.  Hey if Gausman tops out at a #2 that will still be very good.  He actually strikes me as being better in that role than the lead guy.  Bundy will carry the ace role quite easily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users