Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baltimatt

Aaron Hernandez commits suicide

7 posts in this topic

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/04/19/aaron-hernandez-kills-himself-prison/Hkp9wdGcZImoMBomJLMNVJ/story.html

Aaron Hernandez committed suicide in prison Wednesday morning, the Department of Correction said.

According to a statement from the department, the former New England Patriots star was discovered hanging in his cell at the Souza Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley, Mass., at approximately 3:05 a.m.

“Mr. Hernandez was in a single cell in a general population unit,” the statement said. “Mr. Hernandez hanged himself utilizing a bedsheet that he attached to his cell window. Mr. Hernandez also attempted to block his door from the inside by jamming the door with various items.”

One of the more extreme cases ever of a waste of top-tier talent.  What happens in people's heads sometimes is well beyond baffling.  

One of the more extreme cases ever of a waste of top-tier talent.  What happens in people's heads sometimes is well beyond baffling.  

I have a theory that there is something about football players (maybe other athletes too) where they believe they are entitled to do whatever they want. I went to a small university which, at that time at least, did not have a football residence hall, so the players were in with the rest of us. They were so unbelievably arrogant and stuck on themselves to the point of constantly being miserable to everyone. Their treatment of women was especially appalling. It was many years after I graduated before I could get excited about the NFL because I assumed they are all a bunch of pricks who think they're God's gift to the world.

This, combined with how Hernandez grew up, included killing someone who pissed him off. It probably never occurred to him it would create a problem. Sad.

Interesting to think he played college ball with Tebow. Quite the contrast. Just saying.