flyboy56

The Clinton Administration Drew Up Plans To Attack NK

86 posts in this topic

http://asia.nikkei.com/Politics-Economy/International-Relations/The-cost-of-23-years-of-diplomatic-failure-on-North-Korea

In 1993, North Korea fired a Rodong medium-range ballistic missile into the Sea of Japan. After that, the world learned that the country might be developing nuclear weapons.

Then-U.S. President Bill Clinton drew up a plan to strike North Korea's nuclear and related facilities. During a summit with Japanese Prime Minister Morihiro Hosokawa, Clinton secretly asked for Tokyo's cooperation.

Japan refused a U.S. request to help with minesweeping operations, citing constitutional restrictions. Japan also disappointed the U.S. by saying there were limits to opening up commercial ports and airports to the U.S.

Did anyone have money riding on how long it would take for the right to start blaming their nk failures on Clinton?

Posted (edited)

Seeing as South Korea and North Korea are technically still at war and the US has thousands of troops stationed in South Korea, I'm going to venture a guess that every President since the end of the Korean War has drawn up some type of plan to attack North Korea.

Edited by ivanbalt

http://asia.nikkei.com/Politics-Economy/International-Relations/The-cost-of-23-years-of-diplomatic-failure-on-North-Korea

In 1993, North Korea fired a Rodong medium-range ballistic missile into the Sea of Japan. After that, the world learned that the country might be developing nuclear weapons.

Then-U.S. President Bill Clinton drew up a plan to strike North Korea's nuclear and related facilities. During a summit with Japanese Prime Minister Morihiro Hosokawa, Clinton secretly asked for Tokyo's cooperation.

Japan refused a U.S. request to help with minesweeping operations, citing constitutional restrictions. Japan also disappointed the U.S. by saying there were limits to opening up commercial ports and airports to the U.S.

Libs :rolleyes:

Did anyone have money riding on how long it would take for the right to start blaming their nk failures on Clinton?

Doubt it. There'd be no one to bet against.

Seeing as South Korea and North Korea are technically still at war and the US has thousands of troops stationed in South Korea, I'm going to venture a guess that every President since the end of the Cold War has drawn up some type of plan to attack North Korea.

You took the keystrokes right out of my post. :D It's quite sad how the Trumpettes keep trying to find false equivalencies and come up making their case for defending Trump even weaker.

Posted (edited)

I lost cause I thought for sure they would blame Obama before Clinton.   

Edited by mrsmlh

I lost cause I thought for sure they would blame Obama before Clinton.   

It really doesn't matter who gets the blame as long as it's not Trump.

The limp wrists in the US media will spin or outright censor this story.

Why would they want to censor this?

Could you please wait three minutes before you answer though? The popcorn won't be ready until then. :)

Posted (edited)

Wahh. Wahh. Righties here are the whiniest most victimized people I've ever had the misfortune of happening upon. Then they have the nerve to call everyone else snowflakes.. :lol: :lol: Talk about Bizarro world... Edited by Marshan Man

Truth be told. I cannot stand Trump. I did view his election as a repudiation of CNN, the New York Times and all others who collectively worked to elect Hillary. The only thing I want out of Trump is Justices like Clarence Thomas and Sam Alieto. Also, lower court justices to mitigate the Obama radicals who invent new laws. Other than that, I expect little out of Trump.

Maybe Trump could borrow them.

Seeing as South Korea and North Korea are technically still at war and the US has thousands of troops stationed in South Korea, I'm going to venture a guess that every President since the end of the Korean War has drawn up some type of plan to attack North Korea.

LOL, this ^^

No one ought to be crediting or blaming Clinton...or Bush, or Obama or Trump for planning NK contingencies.   Cannot tell you how many times "the wheel has been reinvented" when it comes to contingencies in that part of the theater.  The unclassified OPLAN 5027 gets updated, dusted off, tweaked and modeled for at least 3 annual wargames/exercises in that part of the world.  There is one going on right now. 

Posted (edited)

"Yet at the same time, Clinton set up a diplomatic back-channel to end the crisis peacefully. The vehicle for this channel was former President Jimmy Carter, who in June 1994 was sent to Pyongyang to talk with Kim Il Sung, then the leader of North Korea. Carter’s trip was widely portrayed at the time as a private venture, unapproved by President Clinton. However, a new book about the ’94 North Korean crisis, Going Critical, written by three former officials who played key roles in the events’ unfolding, reveals that Clinton recruited Carter to go.

...Vice President Al Gore favored the trip, seeing no other way out of the crisis. Clinton sided with Gore. As Clinton saw it, Kim Il Sung had painted himself into a corner and needed an escape hatch–a clear path to back away from the brink without losing face, without appearing to buckle under pressure from the U.S. government. Carter might offer that hatch.

Both sides in this internal debate turned out to be right. Kim agreed to back down."

http://washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/may-2004/rolling-blunder-2/

Edited by hst2

True, according to Trump's bunch he is never to blame for anything.

Not sure why a contingency plan would be surprising.

There are of course contingency plans for every conceivable conflict.  When you ask for Japan's cooperation, it becomes a contingency plan that has been pulled out of the files for the purpose of executing.  

LOL, this ^^

Why do you find that so funny?

I would bet every President from Clinton on has had a contingency plan to attack NK from Bush 1 on.

Looks like this went a bit past the contingency phase since they went to Japan for port approval but really doesn't say much other than NK has been a pain in the *** for decades and will have to be dealt with eventually unless the little sucker gets whacked.

The part left out here is that in 1994 Clinton came to a framework of an agreement with NK to wind down the nuclear program. They actually did stop the enrichment part but in 1996 when the repubs took over Congress the GOP balked at buying their program in the same manner we bought many former Soviet missiles. The agreement bumped along anyway until W became prez and that imbecile tore the whole thing up. Now we are where we are. We would have been nuclear free by now if we didn't have republicans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agreed_Framework

Posted (edited)

The article written by a Japanese news media largely places the blame on the Japanese government for not supporting Clinton's plan to attack NK. 

Edited by flyboy56