flyboy56

The Clinton Administration Drew Up Plans To Attack NK

86 posts in this topic

http://asia.nikkei.com/Politics-Economy/International-Relations/The-cost-of-23-years-of-diplomatic-failure-on-North-Korea

In 1993, North Korea fired a Rodong medium-range ballistic missile into the Sea of Japan. After that, the world learned that the country might be developing nuclear weapons.

Then-U.S. President Bill Clinton drew up a plan to strike North Korea's nuclear and related facilities. During a summit with Japanese Prime Minister Morihiro Hosokawa, Clinton secretly asked for Tokyo's cooperation.

Japan refused a U.S. request to help with minesweeping operations, citing constitutional restrictions. Japan also disappointed the U.S. by saying there were limits to opening up commercial ports and airports to the U.S.

Your point?

The part left out here is that in 1994 Clinton came to a framework of an agreement with NK to wind down the nuclear program. They actually did stop the enrichment part but in 1996 when the repubs took over Congress the GOP balked at buying their program in the same manner we bought many former Soviet missiles. The agreement bumped along anyway until W became prez and that imbecile tore the whole thing up. Now we are where we are. We would have been nuclear free by now if we didn't have republicans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agreed_Framework

There was also the famous instance when newly sworn in president Bush undercut his South Korean counterparts efforts on North Korea. A huge opportunity lost.

When you ask for Japan's cooperation, it becomes a contingency plan that has been pulled out of the files for the purpose of executing.  

Not willing to accept that story at face value. The reporting indicates that the Clinton administration simply felt the attack was too risky to carry out. This appears to be nothing more than a standard contingency plan.

There was also the famous instance when newly sworn in president Bush undercut his South Korean counterparts efforts on North Korea. A huge opportunity lost.

North Korea like Cuba has been a relationship that has been on automatic pilot for decades. Cuba has thawed somewhat but nothing about NK relationship has. It's more convenient to assume they are madmen without a lick of self interest.

Seeing as South Korea and North Korea are technically still at war and the US has thousands of troops stationed in South Korea, I'm going to venture a guess that every President since the end of the Korean War has drawn up some type of plan to attack North Korea.

This

Why do you find that so funny?

If I'm reading alienrace's post correctly I think the LOL applies to the ridiculous topic at hand, and that the "this" part is saying that he concurs with ivanbalt's post

Not sure why a contingency plan would be surprising.

Isn't that kind of SOP?

Isn't that kind of SOP?

I agree and I'm sure somewhere in the bowels of the pentagon is a contingency plan for invading manitoba.

North Korea like Cuba has been a relationship that has been on automatic pilot for decades. Cuba has thawed somewhat but nothing about NK relationship has. It's more convenient to assume they are madmen without a lick of self interest.

Only a miracle will persuade NK to give up their nuclear ambition. 

The part left out here is that in 1994 Clinton came to a framework of an agreement with NK to wind down the nuclear program. They actually did stop the enrichment part but in 1996 when the repubs took over Congress the GOP balked at buying their program in the same manner we bought many former Soviet missiles. The agreement bumped along anyway until W became prez and that imbecile tore the whole thing up. Now we are where we are. We would have been nuclear free by now if we didn't have republicans.

LOL!  Thanks!

Isn't that kind of SOP?

No one argues that.  Joe's post is a disingenuous distraction, though I don't know why.  Who would blame Clinton for exploring his options?

But when you dust off a contingency plan, polish it up and solicit assistance from foreign governments, it is not merely a contingency plan anymore.  

LOL!  Thanks!

No problem. Encyclopedias are your friend.

No problem. Encyclopedias are your friend.

Yes, they are.  Apparently, imaginary alternative universes are your friend

doesn't the Pentagon have a plan to attack pretty much any significant nation or region?

If they don't, they should

Posted (edited)

No one argues that.  Joe's post is a disingenuous distraction, though I don't know why.  Who would blame Clinton for exploring his options?

But when you dust off a contingency plan, polish it up and solicit assistance from foreign governments, it is not merely a contingency plan anymore.  

My thoughts as well. I believe Clinton was truly concerned and did more than just draw up a contingency plan. He took the plan one step further by asking Japan to play a role.  

"In 1993, North Korea fired a Rodong medium-range ballistic missile into the Sea of Japan. After that, the world learned that the country might be developing nuclear weapons."

Edited by flyboy56

Yes, they are.  Apparently, imaginary alternative universes are your friend

You're from the party of alternative facts, not me. 

Truth be told. I cannot stand Trump. I did view his election as a repudiation of CNN, the New York Times and all others who collectively worked to elect Hillary. The only thing I want out of Trump is Justices like Clarence Thomas and Sam Alieto. Also, lower court justices to mitigate the Obama radicals who invent new laws. Other than that, I expect little out of Trump.

Please list the laws invented by Obama radicals

Refer to post #25.

Your point is that a regional Japanese newspaper is upset that Japan didn't break it's non aggression policy to participate in an attack on North Korea back in the 90s? 

OK

My thoughts as well. I believe Clinton was truly concerned and did more than just draw up a contingency plan. He took the plan one step further by asking Japan to play a role. 

What's the point of having a plan that relies on third party participation if you don't run it past the third party?

"In 1993, North Korea fired a Rodong medium-range ballistic missile into the Sea of Japan. After that, the world learned that the country might be developing nuclear weapons."

Good.  Bill was a hell of a President.  I am still disgusted by his affair with an intern.  But as a President he was a huge success. 

Link

Perry, who had ordered the planning for the preemptive strike, ultimately rejected it. While he was convinced the U.S. military could take out the Yongbyon plant with little risk of spreading radiation, Perry also believed the attack would result in all-out war.

That's from 1999 and the idea that Japan somehow had veto power on the plan really appears to be nothing but fantasy.

You're from the party of alternative facts, not me. 

LOL.  Keep that joint lit.  

I would point out the same thing I pointed out on a different thread; there are 8 years between Bush and today. Eight years governed by a Democratic President, the individual most responsible for foreign policy. His appointment of two weak, incompetent Secretaries of State contributed to the current mess. I won't argue with you about Bush's lack of competency, but to deny Obama's similar weakness is an escape bordering on an untruth. Obama couldn't have found Korea on a map.

Wait a minute. The Admiral running the USS Carl Vinson Battle Group would likely have been a one-star, or, perhaps a junior two-star meaning he rose to the role on Obama's watch. Maybe that explains some things...