89 replies to this topic

#41 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,045 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:05 PM

doesn't the Pentagon have a plan to attack pretty much any significant nation or region?

If they don't, they should

#42 flyboy56

flyboy56

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,796 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:27 PM

No one argues that.  Joe's post is a disingenuous distraction, though I don't know why.  Who would blame Clinton for exploring his options?

But when you dust off a contingency plan, polish it up and solicit assistance from foreign governments, it is not merely a contingency plan anymore.  

My thoughts as well. I believe Clinton was truly concerned and did more than just draw up a contingency plan. He took the plan one step further by asking Japan to play a role.  

"In 1993, North Korea fired a Rodong medium-range ballistic missile into the Sea of Japan. After that, the world learned that the country might be developing nuclear weapons."

Edited by flyboy56, 19 April 2017 - 05:31 PM.

#43 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,836 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:58 PM

Yes, they are.  Apparently, imaginary alternative universes are your friend

You're from the party of alternative facts, not me. 

"A screaming comes across the sky. . ." -- Thomas Pynchon

#44 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,937 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:15 PM

Truth be told. I cannot stand Trump. I did view his election as a repudiation of CNN, the New York Times and all others who collectively worked to elect Hillary. The only thing I want out of Trump is Justices like Clarence Thomas and Sam Alieto. Also, lower court justices to mitigate the Obama radicals who invent new laws. Other than that, I expect little out of Trump.

Please list the laws invented by Obama radicals

#45 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,937 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:20 PM

Refer to post #25.

Your point is that a regional Japanese newspaper is upset that Japan didn't break it's non aggression policy to participate in an attack on North Korea back in the 90s? 

OK

#46 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,600 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:50 PM

My thoughts as well. I believe Clinton was truly concerned and did more than just draw up a contingency plan. He took the plan one step further by asking Japan to play a role. 

What's the point of having a plan that relies on third party participation if you don't run it past the third party?

#47 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,638 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:36 PM

"In 1993, North Korea fired a Rodong medium-range ballistic missile into the Sea of Japan. After that, the world learned that the country might be developing nuclear weapons."

Good.  Bill was a hell of a President.  I am still disgusted by his affair with an intern.  But as a President he was a huge success. 

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#48 michiganjoe

michiganjoe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,927 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:53 AM

Link

Perry, who had ordered the planning for the preemptive strike, ultimately rejected it. While he was convinced the U.S. military could take out the Yongbyon plant with little risk of spreading radiation, Perry also believed the attack would result in all-out war.

That's from 1999 and the idea that Japan somehow had veto power on the plan really appears to be nothing but fantasy.

#49 jdsample

jdsample

The Doctor is In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,448 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:32 AM

You're from the party of alternative facts, not me. 

LOL.  Keep that joint lit.  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We are all Keynesians now.
Richard M. Nixon

Cynicism--the intellectual cripple's substitute for intelligence.
Joseph Russell Lynes Jr.

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Eric Hoffer

#50 flyboy56

flyboy56

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,796 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:23 AM

Your point is that a regional Japanese newspaper is upset that Japan didn't break it's non aggression policy to participate in an attack on North Korea back in the 90s? 

OK

Japan finally understands the threat it faces from NK. So much for Japan's non aggression policy.

https://www.wsj.com/...-row-1482377414

#51 MiddleOfTheRoad

MiddleOfTheRoad

Among the thinking people

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,682 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:42 AM

The part left out here is that in 1994 Clinton came to a framework of an agreement with NK to wind down the nuclear program. They actually did stop the enrichment part but in 1996 when the repubs took over Congress the GOP balked at buying their program in the same manner we bought many former Soviet missiles. The agreement bumped along anyway until W became prez and that imbecile tore the whole thing up. Now we are where we are. We would have been nuclear free by now if we didn't have republicans.
https://en.wikipedia...greed_Framework

I would point out the same thing I pointed out on a different thread; there are 8 years between Bush and today. Eight years governed by a Democratic President, the individual most responsible for foreign policy. His appointment of two weak, incompetent Secretaries of State contributed to the current mess. I won't argue with you about Bush's lack of competency, but to deny Obama's similar weakness is an escape bordering on an untruth. Obama couldn't have found Korea on a map.

Wait a minute. The Admiral running the USS Carl Vinson Battle Group would likely have been a one-star, or, perhaps a junior two-star meaning he rose to the role on Obama's watch. Maybe that explains some things...

#52 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,600 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:11 AM

Oh come on, Obama could find Korea on a map!

#53 flyboy56

flyboy56

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,796 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:35 AM

The part left out here is that in 1994 Clinton came to a framework of an agreement with NK to wind down the nuclear program. They actually did stop the enrichment part but in 1996 when the repubs took over Congress the GOP balked at buying their program in the same manner we bought many former Soviet missiles. The agreement bumped along anyway until W became prez and that imbecile tore the whole thing up. Now we are where we are. We would have been nuclear free by now if we didn't have republicans.

https://en.wikipedia...greed_Framework

Excellent read.  After reading your link it became quite clear it was not Bush who abandoned the Framework Agreement it was congress during Clinton's presidency. By the time Bush was elected NK was so thoroughly pissed with the delay in building the promised LWR they went rogue and started working towards their own nuclear reactor. 

#54 BaySock

BaySock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,345 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:40 AM

Oh come on, Obama could find Korea on a map!

As opposed to Trump speaking he launched 59 missiles at Iran rather than Syria......

#55 MiddleOfTheRoad

MiddleOfTheRoad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,682 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:45 AM

As opposed to Trump speaking he launched 59 missiles at Iran rather than Syria......

Or Obama visiting 57 states...

Verbal gaffes happen all the time and should be considered just that. OTOH, a failure of foreign policy, lies in one place - the White House.

#56 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92,662 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:55 AM

Or Obama visiting 57 states...

Verbal gaffes happen all the time and should be considered just that. OTOH, a failure of foreign policy, lies in one place - the White House.

This one happened once. With Trump it must happen 5 or 6 times a day.

The other day, in a speech, he kept referring to Paul Ryan as Ron.

Frankly, I think his mind is going. And don't say that with pleasure.

"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. - HL Mencken

#57 BaySock

BaySock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,345 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:06 AM

Wait a minute. The Admiral running the USS Carl Vinson Battle Group would likely have been a one-star, or, perhaps a junior two-star meaning he rose to the role on Obama's watch. Maybe that explains some things...

So you mean to tell me that things have dramatically changed since I retired from the military when such admirals (generals) had a rigorous selective process.  That is, eligible candidates were screened from among senior officers and recommended for promotion by a sitting board of current active flag officers.

This list was approved by the service secretary, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Secretary of Defense before the final choice was made from the list of eligible candidates by the President of the United States.  Then after nomination by the President, candidates must be approved by the U.S. Senate by majority vote before being approved for promotion upon assumption of their new duties.

But now it was all on O who conspired to placed a favored but incompetent in charge of this particular battle group!!!  I see...  I see...  I see that you are just so full of shyte.   :rolleyes:

#58 BaySock

BaySock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,345 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:10 AM

..... OTOH, a failure of foreign policy, lies in one place - the White House.

Unless it's Trump's White House and then it's Bannon's fault or O's fault, or Hillary's fault, or just the so-called inherited mess' fault.

Edited by BaySock, 20 April 2017 - 08:12 AM.

#59 BaySock

BaySock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,345 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:24 AM

This one happened once. With Trump it must happen 5 or 6 times a day.

Like won most electoral college votes....,

Or.... Seven-11 instead of 9-11....

Or....Hillary Clinton created an illegal private email server — deliberately, willfully, and with pre-medication,....

Or....the 122 Gitmo detainees O released who returned to the battle field......

and on and on and on.

#60 MiddleOfTheRoad

MiddleOfTheRoad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,682 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:31 AM

So you mean to tell me that things have dramatically changed since I retired from the military when such admirals (generals) had a rigorous selective process. That is, eligible candidates were screened from among senior officers and recommended for promotion by a sitting board of current active flag officers.
This list was approved by the service secretary, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Secretary of Defense before the final choice was made from the list of eligible candidates by the President of the United States. Then after nomination by the President, candidates must be approved by the U.S. Senate by majority vote before being approved for promotion upon assumption of their new duties.

But now it was all on O who conspired to placed a favored but incompetent in charge of this particular battle group!!! I see... I see... I see that you are just so full of shyte. :rolleyes:

Another twit for whom I will have to put a smiley face for any post with a bit of irony Are you libs all this way when your self-designated saints get challenged ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users