Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoyinMudville

UStinko Game Thread - 4/19 vs the Reds

80 posts in this topic

Given the pitching rotation, I figured a split of the first two Cincinnati games was the best-case scenario. It worked out that way, but not the manner in which I expected.

Good job by both Hart and Brach in relief tonight. Brach looked terrific in the closer role tonight, never falling behind in the count to any of the hitters he faced. They were saying on the telecast that he had something like 119 saves while in the San Diego system. Most of those came in the lower minors, but he does have experience getting those last three outs.

I would like to see a few less whifs than the 16 the Orioles piled up tonight.

16 O's Ks and UJ pitching, and the result is a win. Weird stuff.

I guess it's games like that from UJ that tells the coaching staff he's got good enough stuff to keep him on the team. Weird is right.

I guess it's games like that from UJ that tells the coaching staff he's got good enough stuff to keep him on the team. Weird is right.

You guys are exactly right and Buck pretty much said as much in his post game interview.  It was kind of funny, while he praised his effort last night, he couldn't help let a little frustration seep through UJ can't put this kind of performance together on a more consistent basis.  I'm paraphrasing, but that was my take away.

Regardless, a serviceable UJ makes this team so much stronger. You now have the option of moving Asher to the long role when Tilly comes back.  To me, Wilson/Nuno are big weak spots in long/middle relief. Asher could help fix that.

Hmmm.... Gausman pitches like Ubaldo. And then Ubaldo pitches like Bundy. Weird science.

But that's what Ubaldo does.  Just when you think he's on the verge of being released, he throws one of those games where you just shake your head and go, "WHY can't this guy harness his talent and pitch like this every time out?"  The man has good stuff and always has but he just struggles with command.  Even last night he walked four.  He is what he is.  And as far as 16 Orioles striking out....you'll see that repeated several times before the year's out. 

Both Buck and Dempsey really praised Castillo for the game he called last night for UJ.  It didn't work out the other night for Gausman, but Castillo seems to be doing a good job behind the plate.  Overall, the starting pitching has been pretty good with him behind the plate.  And he is hitting to boot.  Sure haven't heard many cries for Slow Bat Matt.  How in the heck would Arizona non tender this guy over 6 mil.

The problem is that he'll likely go full Ubaldo next start.

I lost my feed around the 4th inning. I missed the best game he's ever pitched, or will ever pitch, for the O's

I lost my feed around the 4th inning. I missed the best game he's ever pitched, or will ever pitch, for the O's

Yeah you missed a flailing Offense too that racked up 16Ks.  Miracle win.

Edited by CROUSEMAN

Yeah you missed a flailing Offense too that racked up 16Ks.  Miracle win.

I hear the Reds pitcher is pretty good. He has no track record, bit in 19 IPs, his stats are amazing. I'll give a pass for that. Flailing against Arroyo on the other hand...

UJ is an enigma for sure. When he's good, he is near unhittable. When bad, he's down 5-0 or 7-0 in the 2nd inning. There is no in-between. With that complicated Rube Goldberg delivery, one tiny step out-of-kilter destroys him.

Maybe Buck should have his walking papers typed up before each start. He seems to pitch well when he knows his career is in jeopardy.

He's his own worst enemy. He doesn't get hit around a lot, doesn't usually give up a lot of HR...but when he's off he walks a lot of guys and the hits/home runs he does allow do more damage. Case in point the WC game last year.

But when he's on, he's close to unhittable. Thats why they've hung onto him so long. The stuff is there -- but the mechanics aren't most of the time. I guess there's still time for him to figure it out...

But when he's on, he's the best complete pitcher we've got. 

He's got the best stuff when he's on.

Actually, Bundy and Gausman's stuff is pretty good too...when it's on.

Going back into last year, UJ has been lights out 8 of last 10 starts.  

UJ is an enigma for sure. When he's good, he is near unhittable. When bad, he's down 5-0 or 7-0 in the 2nd inning. There is no in-between. With that complicated Rube Goldberg delivery, one tiny step out-of-kilter destroys him. ..

That's of course why he's (overall) a much bigger liability than he is an asset. People get sucked in by the flashes of "Oh my God, he's found it, this is 20 game winner stuff we're watching!"

But he invariably regresses back to "pouring gasoline on a camp fire" state for way more outings... and they throw away more games than reasonable waiting to win the lottery again. And I don't think I'll ever quite get over Buck literally throwing away a potential playoff run with the season-ending / playoff-ending run on 3rd, with Ubaldo on the mound while strikeout / groundball expert Britton rots away sitting in the bullpen. But Ubaldo pitched well for a few games at the end of the year. You can bet the whole warehouse that if he had stunk it up late in the season, Buck would have gone with Britton there. Instead he did enough to restore their faith in him... right to a wild-card loss.

Give me a guy who is a good bet to go 5 to 7, giving up 2 to 4 most nights, and I'll have at least a CHANCE to win in every one of those games. They can keep the guy who pitches lights out 2 games, and then faces a 5-0 deficit by the 2nd or 3rd inning in 8 of his next 10 starts.

Edited by Ravens2006

The problem is that he'll likely go full Ubaldo next start.

No doubt. That's what makes him so frustrating. If he just flat out stunk, with no talent, it would be one thing. But at times he's just flat out unhittable. So maybe Buck and Roger get seduced into thinking that if they can get him consistent they've got a Cy Young pitcher on their hands. I think that's a stretch, but a win is a win when you play such a long season.

For the most part he DOES just flat out stink. In the last 6 seasons, he's had 10 bad / awful halves, and 2 good ones. He's stunk in 2 of 3 starts this year. We have to stop blowing the good games way out of proportion... because they're the MUCH SMALLER proportion. ;)

Edited by Ravens2006

For the most part he DOES just flat out stink. In the last 6 seasons, he's had 10 bad / awful halves, and 2 good ones. He's stunk in 2 of 3 starts this year. We have to stop blowing the good games way out of proportion... because they're the MUCH SMALLER proportion. ;)

Not to mention the ripple effect his awful starts have on the bullpen and as a result, the other games following.

I don't think anyone on this forum believes one or even a short streak of good games means he is suddenly worth the contract. But there must be hope for even some consistency, or why bother being an O's fan.