• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,513 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:57 AM

He's his own worst enemy. He doesn't get hit around a lot, doesn't usually give up a lot of HR...but when he's off he walks a lot of guys and the hits/home runs he does allow do more damage. Case in point the WC game last year.

But when he's on, he's close to unhittable. Thats why they've hung onto him so long. The stuff is there -- but the mechanics aren't most of the time. I guess there's still time for him to figure it out...

But when he's on, he's the best complete pitcher we've got. 

#62 bleedingorangeandblack

bleedingorangeandblack

Proud Father of 4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,110 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:02 AM

But when he's on, he's the best complete pitcher we've got.

Rubs eyes
And shutters
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] O's new slogan

#63 Mr. Buzzcut

Mr. Buzzcut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:09 AM

The guy will throw some pitches that do some pretty wacky things.

But he's completely random.

#64 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,513 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:13 AM

Rubs eyes
And shutters

He's got the best stuff when he's on.

Actually, Bundy and Gausman's stuff is pretty good too...when it's on.

#65 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:20 AM

He's got the best stuff when he's on.

Actually, Bundy and Gausman's stuff is pretty good too...when it's on.

Going back into last year, UJ has been lights out 8 of last 10 starts.  

#66 Scaggsville

Scaggsville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,768 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:22 AM

Beauty of an outing for UJ. Good Ubaldo is going to kill off his Evil Twin this year, I can feel it!

#67 Buford

Buford

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:51 AM

Last night was a classic case of Lucy teeing up the football for Charlie Brown.

https://www.youtube....h?v=055wFyO6gag

Awesomeness - An unmeasurable amount of awesomenimity something can produce

#68 Scaggsville

Scaggsville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,768 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:08 AM

Last night was a classic case of Lucy teeing up the football for Charlie Brown.

https://www.youtube....h?v=055wFyO6gag

:D

#69 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,972 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

UJ is an enigma for sure. When he's good, he is near unhittable. When bad, he's down 5-0 or 7-0 in the 2nd inning. There is no in-between. With that complicated Rube Goldberg delivery, one tiny step out-of-kilter destroys him. ..

That's of course why he's (overall) a much bigger liability than he is an asset. People get sucked in by the flashes of "Oh my God, he's found it, this is 20 game winner stuff we're watching!"

But he invariably regresses back to "pouring gasoline on a camp fire" state for way more outings... and they throw away more games than reasonable waiting to win the lottery again. And I don't think I'll ever quite get over Buck literally throwing away a potential playoff run with the season-ending / playoff-ending run on 3rd, with Ubaldo on the mound while strikeout / groundball expert Britton rots away sitting in the bullpen. But Ubaldo pitched well for a few games at the end of the year. You can bet the whole warehouse that if he had stunk it up late in the season, Buck would have gone with Britton there. Instead he did enough to restore their faith in him... right to a wild-card loss.

Give me a guy who is a good bet to go 5 to 7, giving up 2 to 4 most nights, and I'll have at least a CHANCE to win in every one of those games. They can keep the guy who pitches lights out 2 games, and then faces a 5-0 deficit by the 2nd or 3rd inning in 8 of his next 10 starts.

Edited by Ravens2006, 20 April 2017 - 11:15 AM.

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#70 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

Smacking shills, homers, & trolls since 2009

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,610 posts
  • LocationDeep in the thoughts of mindless lemmings

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:30 AM

The problem is that he'll likely go full Ubaldo next start.

No doubt. That's what makes him so frustrating. If he just flat out stunk, with no talent, it would be one thing. But at times he's just flat out unhittable. So maybe Buck and Roger get seduced into thinking that if they can get him consistent they've got a Cy Young pitcher on their hands. I think that's a stretch, but a win is a win when you play such a long season.

#71 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:33 AM

UJ 8 out of last 10 starts lights out.  Odds say he is pretty good next time out.

#72 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,972 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:27 PM

For the most part he DOES just flat out stink. In the last 6 seasons, he's had 10 bad / awful halves, and 2 good ones. He's stunk in 2 of 3 starts this year. We have to stop blowing the good games way out of proportion... because they're the MUCH SMALLER proportion. ;)

Edited by Ravens2006, 20 April 2017 - 01:27 PM.

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#73 Buford

Buford

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:09 PM

For the most part he DOES just flat out stink. In the last 6 seasons, he's had 10 bad / awful halves, and 2 good ones. He's stunk in 2 of 3 starts this year. We have to stop blowing the good games way out of proportion... because they're the MUCH SMALLER proportion. ;)

Not to mention the ripple effect his awful starts have on the bullpen and as a result, the other games following.

Awesomeness - An unmeasurable amount of awesomenimity something can produce

#74 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,551 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

I don't think anyone on this forum believes one or even a short streak of good games means he is suddenly worth the contract. But there must be hope for even some consistency, or why bother being an O's fan.

#75 pitbull

pitbull

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,480 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:08 PM

It's the Reds pitcher 3rd MLB start!

No surprise we couldn't figure out how to hit him.

#76 ncbirdfan

ncbirdfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:28 AM

No surprise we couldn't figure out how to hit him.

I see you are F6ing again. :D

#77 ncbirdfan

ncbirdfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:31 AM

I don't think anyone on this forum believes one or even a short streak of good games means he is suddenly worth the contract. But there must be hope for even some consistency, or why bother being an O's fan.

It was a decent signing; it's just that for whatever reason he was unable to perform to the level anyone expected. As I stated earlier, he has become an enigma. There have been games like the past one where he was incredible, but then he'd have games that were just awful. A little consistency would go a long way if he wants to get any kind of decent contract in the future.

#78 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

This is where I'm at with UJ.  I've buried him at least 4 or 5 times the past 3 plus years.  In case anyone has forgotten, last August he was underneath the bench out in the bullpen.  All hope was lost.  Then I think Tilly comes up with a sore shoulder and UJ answers with 7 straight quality starts to lead us to the WC playoffs.  We don't make it without that performance.   I saw the same type of performance on Wed.  So yeah I can always hope he gets on another streak. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users