hst2

Work has far more power over us than the government does, with little pay-off

62 posts in this topic

The vast majority of Americans are in debt and working in jobs they detest with little chance for advancenpment.

That we aren't like Haiti is a small consolation.

Actually it is a very big consolation. If you want to see poverty, misery, and little chance for improvement, then go to a third would country.

Capitalism has saved us from that sort of fate.

Actually it is a very big consolation. If you want to see poverty, misery, and little chance for improvement, then go to a third would country.

Capitalism has saved us from that sort of fate.

No, it most certainly has not. 

Not when you factor in that the wealthiest one percent have captured 95% of the post financial crisis growth since 2009, while the bottom 90% became poorer. 

No, it most certainly has not. 

Not when you factor in that the wealthiest one percent have captured 95% of the post financial crisis growth since 2009, while the bottom 90% became poorer.

What happened in the financial crisis is that government bailed out the fat cats and left main street to fend for itself. That is on our oligarchy style of government. The free market capitalists were against that dog and pony show.

What happened in the financial crisis is that government bailed out the fat cats and left main street to fend for itself. That is on our oligarchy style of government. The free market capitalists were against that dog and pony show.

Thanks obama.

Hahahahah that is funny. REALLY?

Look..... the US productivity overall has skyrocketed. Has the paycheck? Flat as a pancake.

But I guess people are still compenstated the same....the same as the late 70's from what I have read.

Now at its face people maybe making more on paper. But when inflation, general rising costs of everything, reduction of benefits, elimination of REAL pensions etc. are figured in, according to some of the analysis people in general are making LESS THAN IN THE 70'S.

Out of curiotsity, I did some investigation. I took what I was making at Two Guys from Harrision in the 70's (minimum wage) plunked that into an inflation calculator. And guess what depending on what one you used...at this very moment one would have to make around 16 and hours. Now throw in all the things I mentioned above...well I hope you understand what I am getting at without detailing it.

You just made a great case for a $15 minimum wage

Thanks.

Not like income tax at all -- government makes no profit -- by law it cannot, surplus actually is invested in Treasury Bills and becomes debt

So you are saying Bill Clinton was increasing the debt because he had a surplus for a few years,  I knew an accountant like you once.  

Thanks obama.

Indeed. If the Democrat is going to act like a Republican, what hope is there for the working stiff?

Actually it is a very big consolation. If you want to see poverty, misery, and little chance for improvement, then go to a third would country.Capitalism has saved us from that sort of fate.

The regulation of capitalism did, at one time. But those days are gone. The people are under the thumb of corporate bosses, the wages have tanked, the rich double-dip through their easy credit, and chances of advancement are bleak.

The vast majority of Americans are in debt and working in jobs they detest with little chance for advancenpment.

That we aren't like Haiti is a small consolation.

The USA sucks so bad, there's how many illegals in the country that you'd like to see stay? :P

The USA sucks so bad, there's how many illegals in the country that you'd like to see stay? :P

Labor follows capital.

So you are saying Bill Clinton was increasing the debt because he had a surplus for a few years,  I knew an accountant like you once.  

If it was social security surplus it is invested in Treasury Bills (by Law) and becomes intragovernmental debt -- which is about 1/3 of the total federal debt.

Other types of surplus revenue may be used to reduce the deficit - be used to plus-up programs or converted to treasury bills (thereby becoming debt)