• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:59 AM

Miley's basically a slop pitcher that has to have almost perfect command to be effective.  So far, he's done a good job with that but I'm not too confident that's going to last long term.  Still, every win counts and outside of Gausman imploding on Tuesday, the pitching was great in this series. 

#62 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,704 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:52 AM

I got home when the O's were coming to bat in the 7th. Miley was dealing.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#63 ncbirdfan

ncbirdfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:05 AM

I didn't get to see any of the game, but it looked like another dynamic pitching performance. Go Orioles!

#64 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,704 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:19 AM

I didn't get to see any of the game, but it looked like another dynamic pitching performance. Go Orioles!

In the two innings I saw him pitch, Miley was masterful. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#65 ncbirdfan

ncbirdfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:23 AM

Well, his line is 11 strikeouts, only one walk and only two hits in 8 innings. That kind of line doesn't come cheap. Let's hope the pitching continues to be good and that the bats start coming to life.

#66 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,704 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:28 AM

Well, his line is 11 strikeouts, only one walk and only two hits in 8 innings. That kind of line doesn't come cheap. Let's hope the pitching continues to be good and that the bats start coming to life.

Fortunately for all of us, the start of this season has seen the opposite trend of 2016. Last year, the bats would put up 6 runs, and the pitching would give up 8. Then the pitching would only allow 2 runs, and the bats could only score 1.  

#67 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:33 AM

Fortunately for all of us, the start of this season has seen the opposite trend of 2016. Last year, the bats would put up 6 runs, and the pitching would give up 8. Then the pitching would only allow 2 runs, and the bats could only score 1.

Last year, like the previous four, the latter happened a lot more than the former.

#68 ncbirdfan

ncbirdfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:36 AM

Yes, like I said earlier, it makes a huge difference when the end results are wins. And IMO this will help the team down the stretch and they should win more games that they would have lost last year. Hopefully, everyone remains healthy and players like Machado can get out of their funks. And, please, please allow Joseph to finally get an RBI.

#69 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:02 AM

He smoked it last night.  Besides only giving up 2 hits, the one walk shows he was in total control. Awesome.

#70 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

Smacking shills, homers, & trolls since 2009

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,610 posts
  • LocationDeep in the thoughts of mindless lemmings

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:27 PM

He smoked it last night.  Besides only giving up 2 hits, the one walk shows he was in total control. Awesome.

And the bullpen didn't miss a beat with Brach closing it out the way a good closer should close out a game. It was a game that gave me some confidence in the team as a whole, and hopefully the players came away with some boosted confidence as well. Sometimes, when hitters feel less pressure to go out every night and put up 5+ runs, they relax and start hitting better. We'll see about that part.

#71 BayAreaBmore

BayAreaBmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,224 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:28 PM

Ubaldo + Miley = Palmer + Cuellar

Edited by BayAreaBmore, 21 April 2017 - 12:29 PM.

#72 Buford

Buford

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

Definitely a drug induced equation!  :D

Awesomeness - An unmeasurable amount of awesomenimity something can produce

#73 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:46 PM

Early happy hour on Friday????  Great idea!

#74 BayAreaBmore

BayAreaBmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,224 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:13 PM

Definitely a drug induced equation! :D

Haha it's an equation that holds true for only this moment in time

#75 BayAreaBmore

BayAreaBmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,224 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:13 PM

Early happy hour on Friday???? Great idea!

Definitely had a few last night, still clouding my judgment this morning I guess

Edited by BayAreaBmore, 21 April 2017 - 01:14 PM.

#76 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,704 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:28 PM

And the bullpen didn't miss a beat with Brach closing it out the way a good closer should close out a game. It was a game that gave me some confidence in the team as a whole, and hopefully the players came away with some boosted confidence as well. Sometimes, when hitters feel less pressure to go out every night and put up 5+ runs, they relax and start hitting better. We'll see about that part.

I wondered if Buck shouldn't have used Givens, instead of Brach. Brach pitched the night before, and he's likely to be needed tonight. Givens is really reliable, seems like a great way to allow him to show that he can succeed in that type of situation.

#77 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

Smacking shills, homers, & trolls since 2009

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,610 posts
  • LocationDeep in the thoughts of mindless lemmings

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:01 PM

I wondered if Buck shouldn't have used Givens, instead of Brach. Brach pitched the night before, and he's likely to be needed tonight. Givens is really reliable, seems like a great way to allow him to show that he can succeed in that type of situation.

The announcers made it clear that if the game were tied they'd bring in Givens, and if it were a save situation they'd bring in Brach. And that's how it played out. Personally, I don't have the same confidence in a converted infielder to close out a game as I do in Brach. But that's just me.

#78 ncbirdfan

ncbirdfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:13 PM

Arnold Palmer and Henry Cueller?

#79 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,704 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:59 PM

The announcers made it clear that if the game were tied they'd bring in Givens, and if it were a save situation they'd bring in Brach. And that's how it played out. Personally, I don't have the same confidence in a converted infielder to close out a game as I do in Brach. But that's just me.

Sound reasoning

#80 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:22 PM

Yeah I wanted Brach if we were ahead. And it worked for Buck as I think Brach only threw in the low 20s in pitches total for both saves. Super efficient.  He should be available tonight if needed with that light workload.  My thought was you have to throw your best out there to close that game.  You couldn't waste that effort from Miley. Plus I would argue Brach is the hottest reliever in baseball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users