Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoyinMudville

Trump Threatens to Shut Government To Force Dems to Pay for Wall He Said Mexico Would Pay For

348 posts in this topic

Like a petulant 13-year old boy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/white-house-could-provoke-a-spending-showdown-over-funding-for-border-wall/2017/04/20/88ccc940-2614-11e7-a1b3-faff0034e2de_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_healthbill1220pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.5f376ec9f826

White House budget director Mick Mulvaney said Thursday that he hopes to use negotiations to keep the government open past April 28 in an effort to force Democrats to back some funding for creating a new wall along the U. S-Mexico border — a risky move that could provoke a spending showdown with congressional Democrats next week.

Mulvaney said the White House would be open to funding some of the Democrats’ priorities — such as paying insurance subsidies under the Affordable Care Act — if Democrats agree to fund some of the more controversial parts of President Trump’s agenda, notably the border wall.

The new request threatens to undermine weeks of negotiations between Republican leaders and Democrats in Congress to pass a stopgap spending bill to avoid a government shutdown. The negotiations so far have excluded talk of the border wall, which Republicans have argued should be taken up later to keep the government open.

Democrats saw Mulvaney’s comments as evidence that the White House is meddling to undermine what they described as successful, bipartisan talks.

“Everything had been moving smoothly until the administration moved in with a heavy hand,” said Matt House, a spokesman for Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.). “Not only are Democrats opposed to the wall, there is significant Republican opposition as well.”

Man, I am getting tired of all this winning

Wait a second, you mean to indicate that We The People In Order To Form A More Perfect Union will pay for the wall and not Mexico....   We've Been Conned!!

Illegal immigration is already way down.  It could be cut to a trickle with the wall added.  Multiply the savings to taxpayers of each of those people who does not come here illegally and the wall will easily pay for itself inside of a decade. 

Edited by veritas

Illegal immigration is already way down.  It could be cut to a trickle with the wall added.  Multiply the savings to taxpayers of each of those people who does not come here illegally and the wall will easily pay for itself inside of a decade. 

Or we could just start fining employers who hire illegals and use that money to pay for the wall.  That would be a great savings to taxpayers.  

Or we could just start fining employers who hire illegals and use that money to pay for the wall.  That would be a great savings to taxpayers.  

Hey, do that, too.  And toss out those overstaying visas, if we can locate them.

Edited by veritas

Illegal immigration is already way down.  It could be cut to a trickle with the wall added.  Multiply the savings to taxpayers of each of those people who does not come here illegally and the wall will easily pay for itself inside of a decade

:D   Must be that new math I hear anyone talking about.....   We've gone from Mexico paying for the wall to now phantom footing the bill itself within 10-years.  $20-Billion plus just doesn't pay for itself.  The government will borrow money from Xi and crew to pay for it while other ways to get around the wall will be unfolded.

Can someone tell me which side of the wall will the Rio Grande rest.... Or will the wall split the river?

Edited by BaySock

:D   Must be that new math I hear anyone talking about.....   We've gone from Mexico paying for the wall to now phantom footing the bill itself within 10-years.  $20-Billion just doesn't pay for itself.  The government will borrow money from Xi and crew to pay for it while other ways to get around the wall will be unfolded.

Can someone tell me which side of the wall will the Rio Grande rest.... Or will the wall split the river?

If you spend $15-20 billion and you save that much after 10 years, your wall has cost $0.  After that, you actually start getting a net surplus for taxpayers.  This isn't new math, it's old math that anyone can figure out.  And no, getting around, under or over the wall will be quite difficult.  That's why there are lots of walls in the world.  They work.

Hey, do that, too.  And toss out those overstaying visas, if we can locate them.

Too????   So much for making Mexico pay for it.  Yet another Trump con job.

Too????   So much for making Mexico pay for it.  Yet another Trump con job.

What's your problem?  Would you rather we didn't fine employers?  You should make up your mind.

If you spend $15-20 billion and you save that much after 10 years, your wall has cost $0.  After that, you actually start getting a net surplus for taxpayers.  This isn't new math, it's old math that anyone can figure out.  And no, getting around, under or over the wall will be quite difficult.  That's why there are lots of walls in the world.  They work.

Building it is only part of the expense.  Someone has to patrol it, keep it in repair, etc.  Are you paying for that?  Maybe you can hire some illegals to do it inexpensively.  

What's your problem?  Would you rather we didn't fine employers?  You should make up your mind.

What is your problem?  You are the one that inserted "too".  I would rather not pay for something that was not to have cost me anything, how about you?  

Building it is only part of the expense.  Someone has to patrol it, keep it in repair, etc.  Are you paying for that?  Maybe you can hire some illegals to do it inexpensively.  

Are you suggesting we don't already patrol the border?  You're going to have that expense, wall or no wall.

What is your problem?  You are the one that inserted "too".  I would rather not pay for something that was not to have cost me anything, how about you?  

Unless you're an employer using illegals, you needn't worry about it.  However, you were the one who made the suggestion.  I simply agreed.  Also, the wall, unlike most of the things government does, will save us lots of money in the long run.  Or would you rather keep paying for more illegals than you have to?

Edited by veritas

Are you suggesting we don't already patrol the border?  You're going to have that expense, wall or no wall.

Did you factor that into your equations of the wall will pay for itself?  

Did you factor that into your equations of the wall will pay for itself?  

Of course not.  Like I said, you're going to have that expense anyway.  It has nothing to do with the cost of construction.  The costs to man the border will exist either way.  

Unless you're an employer using illegals, you needn't worry about it.  However, you were the one who made the suggestion.  I simply agreed.

Nope, I do not employ illegals.  However, as I stated the American people were scammed, and now the dear leader wants the people he scammed to pay for his grand wall.  Let him find a source of income for his wall that does not involve the tax payer.

Edited by EGoldstein

Of course not.  Like I said, you're going to have that expense anyway.  It has nothing to do with the cost of construction.  The costs to man the border will exist either way.  

You have forgotten wall maintenance, an expense that has nothing to do with initial construction.  

Nope, I do not employ illegars.  However, as I stated the American people were scammed, and now the dear leader wants the people he scammed to pay for his grand wall.  Let him find a source of income for his wall that does not involve the tax payer.

I'm happy to contribute to something that will actually work and save us money.  Funny how Democrats oppose one of the few things that will be efficient in the end.  Just defund some of the crackpot programs we waste money on and stop giving large sums to our enemies and we can pay for the wall without bothering the taxpayers.  After that, the billions we save can be used elsewhere.

Edited by veritas

I thought Mexico was going to pay for the wall. That's what Trump said, repeatedly.

You have forgotten wall maintenance, an expense that has nothing to do with initial construction.  

Yea, and how much do you think that will be?  I suggest it will be negligible compared to construction costs, especially in the early years.  Basically, there is no fiscal argument against the wall. What most opponents mean is that they want an open border but would rather not say so. 

I thought Mexico was going to pay for the wall. That's what Trump said, repeatedly.

As in write a check?  No, I don't think that will happen but the illegals we keep out will pay for it in taxpayer savings, as I said.  Heck, just rewriting NAFTA could probably pay for it.  If you want to hold Trump's feet to the fire for campaign hyperbole, go ahead. 

Edited by veritas

I'm happy to contribute to something that will actually work and save us money.  Funny how Democrats oppose one of the few things that will be efficient in the end.  Just defund some of the crackpot programs we waste money on and stop giving large sums to our enemies and we can pay for the wall without bothering the taxpayers.  After that, the billions we save can be used elsewhere.

Do you mean like the money wasted by the DOD?  But maybe you think spending 2 million on jazz playing robots will be efficient in the end.  We probably could use some of the $12 billion in U.S. currency was transported from the Federal Reserve to Baghdad and for the most part has gone MIA.  

Do you mean like the money wasted by the DOD?  But maybe you think spending 2 million on jazz playing robots will be efficient in the end.  We probably could use some of the $12 billion in U.S. currency was transported from the Federal Reserve to Baghdad and for the most part has gone MIA.  

No doubt.  Government has always been extremely wasteful.