Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoyinMudville

Trump Threatens to Shut Government To Force Dems to Pay for Wall He Said Mexico Would Pay For

348 posts in this topic

As in write a check?  No, I don't think that will happen but the illegals we keep out will pay for it in taxpayer savings, as I said.  If you want to hold Trump's feet to the fire for campaign hyperbole, go ahead. 

I really don't think that Trump meant one of those huge placard checks, but if that is what you envisioned then let him know.  Let him build the wall however he can, but at no cost to the US tax payers.    

Edited by EGoldstein

I really don't think that Trump meant one of those huge placard checks, but if that is what you envisioned then let him know.  :Let him build the wall however he can, but at no cost to the US tax payers.    

Right.  No doubt you can name all sorts of other things built at no expense to the taxpayers.  Look at the Interstate Highway System.  It was paid for by the taxpayers but what do you think it has returned since then in improved transportation, commerce, etc.?  This is the same type of deal.  The future savings will far outstrip the upfront costs.

Edited by veritas

Right.  No doubt you can name all sorts of other things built at no expense to the taxpayers.  Look at the Interstate Highway System.  It was paid for by the taxpayers but what do you think it has returned since then in improved transportation, commerce, etc.?  This is the same type of deal.  The future savings will far outstrip the upfront costs.

Then you will have no problem assisting in the payment.  As for me, paying for the wall was not what was proposed.  

No doubt.  Government has always been extremely wasteful.  

And it's now on steroids.....starting with a wasted president, complete impotence!!!

No it is NOT the same deal.  No one proclaimed Uganda was paying for interstate.  I recall this:

Right. No doubt you can name all sorts of other things built at no expense to the taxpayers. Look at the Interstate Highway System. It was paid for by the taxpayers but what do you think it has returned since then in improved transportation, commerce, etc.? This is the same type of deal. The future savings will far outstrip the upfront costs.

Ike didn't promise someone be else would pay for Interstates!

Illegal immigration is already way down.  It could be cut to a trickle with the wall added.  Multiply the savings to taxpayers of each of those people who does not come here illegally and the wall will easily pay for itself inside of a decade. 

Illegal immigration was already way down and continuing to drop.  It was a trend in the making before trump took office that has simply continued.  Please get out of the fantasy world where trump came along and the previously spiraling out of control illegal immigration problem immediately reversed and dramatically dropped.  That simply isn't true.

As for the wall, it would be a gigantic useless waste of money.  The wall simply won't do a damn thing.  Why?  Because not only will those intent on coming across our southern border find a way around, over or under the wall, but they only represent a small portion of the folks in this country illegally.  Most of the undocumented come here legally and simply overstay their visas.  How's your precious wall gonna stop that?  And one more thing... we were promised that Mexico would pay for the wall.  PERIOD.  He said it time and time again and it was a cornerstone of his campaign.  So anything short of Mexico actually paying for the wall is completely unacceptable.  Face it, you and all the other Trumpanzees (I know I know... you aren't a trump supporter and didn't vote for trump :rolleyes: ) have been conned.

Or we could just start fining employers who hire illegals and use that money to pay for the wall.  That would be a great savings to taxpayers.  

Or the government overseers could do a better job researching someone's employment eligibility. 

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9

Or the government overseers could do a better job researching someone's employment eligibility. 

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9

Why when a simple richard like Trump could just come along and proclaim the employed person ineligible and not even born here with "...investigators..." out and above collecting all sorts of irrefutable proof!!

Illegal immigration is already way down.  It could be cut to a trickle with the wall added.  Multiply the savings to taxpayers of each of those people who does not come here illegally and the wall will easily pay for itself inside of a decade. 

Actually, since so few people sneak through, we could not build the wall, develop a path of citizenship for those who are here and save the most money of all. 

Illegal immigration was already way down and continuing to drop.  It was a trend in the making before trump took office that has simply continued.  Please get out of the fantasy world where trump came along and the previously spiraling out of control illegal immigration problem immediately reversed and dramatically dropped.  That simply isn't true.

As for the wall, it would be a gigantic useless waste of money.  The wall simply won't do a damn thing.  Why?  Because not only will those intent on coming across our southern border find a way around, over or under the wall, but they only represent a small portion of the folks in this country illegally.  Most of the undocumented come here legally and simply overstay their visas.  How's your precious wall gonna stop that?  And one more thing... we were promised that Mexico would pay for the wall.  PERIOD.  He said it time and time again and it was a cornerstone of his campaign.  So anything short of Mexico actually paying for the wall is completely unacceptable.  Face it, you and all the other Trumpanzees (I know I know... you aren't a trump supporter and didn't vote for trump :rolleyes: ) have been conned.

Yup, they've been conned by cheap, bigoted appeals to white nationalism.

Congressional Republicans have no interest or desire in funding a generally useless and expensive wall just so Trump can proclaim he's fulfilled a campaign pledge.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Building it is only part of the expense.  Someone has to patrol it, keep it in repair, etc.  Are you paying for that?  Maybe you can hire some illegals to do it inexpensively.  

No. No. No. You got it all wrong. Mexico will pay for all of it. Geesh, you must be new here. :D

Yea, and how much do you think that will be?  I suggest it will be negligible compared to construction costs, especially in the early years.  Basically, there is no fiscal argument against the wall. What most opponents mean is that they want an open border but would rather not say so. 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you spend $15-20 billion and you save that much after 10 years, your wall has cost $0.  After that, you actually start getting a net surplus for taxpayers.  This isn't new math, it's old math that anyone can figure out.  And no, getting around, under or over the wall will be quite difficult.  That's why there are lots of walls in the world.  They work.

Kinda reminds me of when my wife goes shopping for a new dress she does not need but gets it on sale and then tells me how much money she saved....  You are right, it isn't new math.  It is the old bait and switch.

Yeah, and I heard of several of the walls around the world that work;  the Berlin Wall, the West Bank Wall, the Moroccan Wall, and lets not forget the Great Wall of China.  They seem to be in 3rd-world nations or next door neighbors with a long history of wars.  Maybe we have dropped to 3rd-world status.

I wonder how his older constituents (ie, most of Trump's base), who live off of federal benefits, etc, might feel if Trump holds Gov agencies hostage until the Dems agree to fund his wall?

"Shut 'er down"

Illegal immigration was already way down and continuing to drop. It was a trend in the making before trump took office that has simply continued. Please get out of the fantasy world where trump came along and the previously spiraling out of control illegal immigration problem immediately reversed and dramatically dropped. That simply isn't true.

As for the wall, it would be a gigantic useless waste of money. The wall simply won't do a damn thing. Why? Because not only will those intent on coming across our southern border find a way around, over or under the wall, but they only represent a small portion of the folks in this country illegally. Most of the undocumented come here legally and simply overstay their visas. How's your precious wall gonna stop that? And one more thing... we were promised that Mexico would pay for the wall. PERIOD. He said it time and time again and it was a cornerstone of his campaign. So anything short of Mexico actually paying for the wall is completely unacceptable. Face it, you and all the other Trumpanzees (I know I know... you aren't a trump supporter and didn't vote for trump :rolleyes: ) have been conned.

Given that Trumps nominees employ lots of illegals it might go down as they took government work

Kinda reminds me of when my wife goes shopping for a new dress she does not need but gets it on sale and then tells me how much money she saved....  You are right, it isn't new math.  It is the old bait and switch.

Yeah, and I heard of several of the walls around the world that work;  the Berlin Wall, the West Bank Wall, the Moroccan Wall, and lets not forget the Great Wall of China.  They seem to be in 3rd-world nations or next door neighbors with a long history of wars.  Maybe we have dropped to 3rd-world status.

Your wife buying a dress on sale is comparable to building the wall?  Please.  Oh, and we are not building it because we are a 3rd world country.  We're building it to make sure we don't become one.  Like I said, walls work.

Your first paragraph is inaccurate as I nowhere attributed falling illegal immigration to Trump, although he may have expedited its existing decline.  Secondly, it will not be easy to get under, over or through the wall.  There is no basis for that claim.  Thirdly, if people crossing the border illegally only represent half, or even 40% of illegals, isn't it worth cutting that to a trickle?  Fourth, I've said before that we need to be able to track and deport people here overstaying their visas.  That's all part of the effort.  Lastly, no, Mexico isn't writing us a check for the wall.  I've never indicated that and I'm not sure too many people actually believed it.  It will be paid for in savings from keeping them out to begin with. Oh, and despite what you think, I didn't vote for Trump in the primary.  I didn't vote at all in the general election.