Photo
* * - - - 4 votes

Trump Threatens to Shut Government To Force Dems to Pay for Wall He Said Mexico Would Pay For

• Please log in to reply
347 replies to this topic

#41 ncbirdfan

ncbirdfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:59 AM

Yea, and how much do you think that will be?  I suggest it will be negligible compared to construction costs, especially in the early years.  Basically, there is no fiscal argument against the wall. What most opponents mean is that they want an open border but would rather not say so. 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#42 ODENTON

ODENTON

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:08 AM

**** the wall.

If donald and supporters want a wall.....start a gofundme page for your stupid wall.

#43 ODENTON

ODENTON

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:18 AM

https://s-media-cach...87ad4529dfa.jpg

#44 BaySock

BaySock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:43 AM

If you spend $15-20 billion and you save that much after 10 years, your wall has cost $0.  After that, you actually start getting a net surplus for taxpayers.  This isn't new math, it's old math that anyone can figure out.  And no, getting around, under or over the wall will be quite difficult.  That's why there are lots of walls in the world.  They work.

Kinda reminds me of when my wife goes shopping for a new dress she does not need but gets it on sale and then tells me how much money she saved....  You are right, it isn't new math.  It is the old bait and switch.

Yeah, and I heard of several of the walls around the world that work;  the Berlin Wall, the West Bank Wall, the Moroccan Wall, and lets not forget the Great Wall of China.  They seem to be in 3rd-world nations or next door neighbors with a long history of wars.  Maybe we have dropped to 3rd-world status.

#45 SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:00 AM

I wonder how his older constituents (ie, most of Trump's base), who live off of federal benefits, etc, might feel if Trump holds Gov agencies hostage until the Dems agree to fund his wall?

"Shut 'er down"

#46 jtowne-swim

jtowne-swim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,210 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:13 AM

Illegal immigration was already way down and continuing to drop. It was a trend in the making before trump took office that has simply continued. Please get out of the fantasy world where trump came along and the previously spiraling out of control illegal immigration problem immediately reversed and dramatically dropped. That simply isn't true.

As for the wall, it would be a gigantic useless waste of money. The wall simply won't do a damn thing. Why? Because not only will those intent on coming across our southern border find a way around, over or under the wall, but they only represent a small portion of the folks in this country illegally. Most of the undocumented come here legally and simply overstay their visas. How's your precious wall gonna stop that? And one more thing... we were promised that Mexico would pay for the wall. PERIOD. He said it time and time again and it was a cornerstone of his campaign. So anything short of Mexico actually paying for the wall is completely unacceptable. Face it, you and all the other Trumpanzees (I know I know... you aren't a trump supporter and didn't vote for trump :rolleyes: ) have been conned.

Given that Trumps nominees employ lots of illegals it might go down as they took government work
In 20 years....... when global warming causes the polar ice caps to melt....... and the whole planet floods. Swimmers will rule the World:cool: !

ACTION....ADVENTURE.....EXCITEMENT....A Jedi seeks not these things.:D
-Master Yoda

#47 veritas

veritas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,476 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:17 AM

Kinda reminds me of when my wife goes shopping for a new dress she does not need but gets it on sale and then tells me how much money she saved....  You are right, it isn't new math.  It is the old bait and switch.

Yeah, and I heard of several of the walls around the world that work;  the Berlin Wall, the West Bank Wall, the Moroccan Wall, and lets not forget the Great Wall of China.  They seem to be in 3rd-world nations or next door neighbors with a long history of wars.  Maybe we have dropped to 3rd-world status.

Your wife buying a dress on sale is comparable to building the wall?  Please.  Oh, and we are not building it because we are a 3rd world country.  We're building it to make sure we don't become one.  Like I said, walls work.

Ne Nuntium Necare

#48 veritas

veritas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,476 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:17 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Naturally, emoticons are not a fiscal argument.  They are more like a white flag.

Ne Nuntium Necare

#49 michiganjoe

michiganjoe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,921 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:20 AM

Republicans control the government and thus would own any shutdown. Donny really doesn't seem to understand the concept of leverage at all. 

#50 veritas

veritas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,476 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:33 AM

Illegal immigration was already way down and continuing to drop.  It was a trend in the making before trump took office that has simply continued.  Please get out of the fantasy world where trump came along and the previously spiraling out of control illegal immigration problem immediately reversed and dramatically dropped.  That simply isn't true.

As for the wall, it would be a gigantic useless waste of money.  The wall simply won't do a damn thing.  Why?  Because not only will those intent on coming across our southern border find a way around, over or under the wall, but they only represent a small portion of the folks in this country illegally.  Most of the undocumented come here legally and simply overstay their visas.  How's your precious wall gonna stop that?  And one more thing... we were promised that Mexico would pay for the wall.  PERIOD.  He said it time and time again and it was a cornerstone of his campaign.  So anything short of Mexico actually paying for the wall is completely unacceptable.  Face it, you and all the other Trumpanzees (I know I know... you aren't a trump supporter and didn't vote for trump :rolleyes: ) have been conned.

Your first paragraph is inaccurate as I nowhere attributed falling illegal immigration to Trump, although he may have expedited its existing decline.  Secondly, it will not be easy to get under, over or through the wall.  There is no basis for that claim.  Thirdly, if people crossing the border illegally only represent half, or even 40% of illegals, isn't it worth cutting that to a trickle?  Fourth, I've said before that we need to be able to track and deport people here overstaying their visas.  That's all part of the effort.  Lastly, no, Mexico isn't writing us a check for the wall.  I've never indicated that and I'm not sure too many people actually believed it.  It will be paid for in savings from keeping them out to begin with. Oh, and despite what you think, I didn't vote for Trump in the primary.  I didn't vote at all in the general election.

Ne Nuntium Necare

#51 veritas

veritas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,476 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:37 AM

Yup, they've been conned by cheap, bigoted appeals to white nationalism.

No, it's an appeal to actually enforcing the law rather than winking at it.   Reducing illegal immigration is good for ALL our citizens, white, black, brown or other.  But keep making it about racism.  It's worked so well up to now.

Ne Nuntium Necare

#52 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,745 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

If you spend $15-20 billion and you save that much after 10 years, your wall has cost $0.  After that, you actually start getting a net surplus for taxpayers.  This isn't new math, it's old math that anyone can figure out.  And no, getting around, under or over the wall will be quite difficult.  That's why there are lots of walls in the world.  They work.

Hey ....Ver.... who is your dealer.... I gotta get me some of that......

Edited by Guido2, 21 April 2017 - 11:41 AM.

#53 SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:40 AM

Naturally, emoticons are not a fiscal argument.  They are more like a white flag.

Not my battle, but no, they are not.

Oh, and what's the fascination from righties, such as yourself, with "white flags", "wetting themselves" and "limp wrists"?

#54 veritas

veritas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,476 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:41 AM

Hey ....Ver.... who is your dealer.... I gotta get me some of that......

If you install a solar heating system, after a certain number of years of lower energy costs, it has paid for itself, right?  Why is this complicated?

Ne Nuntium Necare

#55 veritas

veritas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,476 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:44 AM

Not my battle, but no, they are not.

Oh, and what's the fascination from righties, such as yourself, with "white flags", "wetting themselves" and "limp wrists"?

Right, because nobody has ever used the term white flag.  You have some fixation with me.  Admitting it is the first step to getting help. :)

Edited by veritas, 21 April 2017 - 11:47 AM.

Ne Nuntium Necare

#56 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:45 AM

I can't wait to see the limp wrists going crazy as the wall gets built.

I hope your grandchildren enjoy the extra debt 'cause Mexico ain't paying for **it.

Pessimism is just an ugly word for 'pattern recognition'.

#57 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,745 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:47 AM

Your first paragraph is inaccurate as I nowhere attributed falling illegal immigration to Trump, although he may have expedited its existing decline.  Secondly, it will not be easy to get under, over or through the wall.  There is no basis for that claim.  Thirdly, if people crossing the border illegally only represent half, or even 40% of illegals, isn't it worth cutting that to a trickle?  Fourth, I've said before that we need to be able to track and deport people here overstaying their visas.  That's all part of the effort.  Lastly, no, Mexico isn't writing us a check for the wall.  I've never indicated that and I'm not sure too many people actually believed it.  It will be paid for in savings from keeping them out to begin with. Oh, and despite what you think, I didn't vote for Trump in the primary.  I didn't vote at all in the general election.

I would genually like to see the statistics and breakdown that you are using to justify building a wall vs stepped up enforcement as it stands. That is I need a figure that says X numbers of illegals come in over a year multiplied by the dollar amount spent per person on social services. And see how things balance out.

Don't rush.... I got all afternoon. Or month, Or year...........

#58 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

As for the wall, it would be a gigantic useless waste of money.  The wall simply won't do a damn thing.  Why?  Because not only will those intent on coming across our southern border find a way around, over or under the wall, but they only represent a small portion of the folks in this country illegally.  

But at least it will help the Mexican economy. Especially the producers of ladders and shovels.

I maintain the wall would be pretty useless unless there are armed guards to prevent people from tunneling under and climbing over. If you have the armed guards, then you don't need the wall. Seems like a high school logic problem to me...

#59 SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:49 AM

Right, because nobody has ever used the term white flag.  You have some fixation with me.  Admitting it is the first step to getting help. :)

Guess you missed my descriptor, so here it is again: "fascination with"

Keep trying....

#60 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:51 AM

**** the wall.

If donald and supporters want a wall.....start a gofundme page for your stupid wall.

Hmm, perhaps we can extend this philosophy to much government spending. 

We need a new F35, bridge in Atlanta, and increase spending on Head Start to cover kids up to age 35,  please contribute on http://my.cash.based.democracy. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users