Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MiddleOfTheRoad

One of our own comes home.

47 posts in this topic

From your link: 

An Egyptian American charity worker who was imprisoned in Cairo for three years and became the global face of Egypt’s brutal crackdown on civil society returned home to the United States late Thursday after the Trump administration quietly negotiated her release.

President Trump and his aides worked for several weeks with Egyptian President Abdel Fatah al-Sissi to secure the freedom of Aya Hijazi, 30, a U.S. citizen, as well as her husband, Mohamed Hassanein, who is Egyptian, and four other humanitarian workers. Trump dispatched a U.S. government aircraft to Cairo to bring Hijazi and her family to Washington.

Posted (edited)

Yep, good news for them for now.  We'll see the bill later and perhaps a repeat jailing in Egypt with an even bigger price to pa since such folks tend to want to go back to continue their work and Egypt's leader and nation has a horrible human rights record.

Edited by BaySock

So sucking up to al-Sissi paid off. Good.

Imagine being held prisoner for 3 years by a regime like this, frightening.

Maybe we should have traded them five terrorists for him then.

Trump could cure all cancer and you'd still criticize him.

(pre- emptive strike: Granted Obama rarely did anything I agreed with, but on a few occasions I did give him credit when due.)

Maybe we should have traded them five terrorists for him then.

Trump could cure all cancer and you'd still criticize him.

(pre- emptive strike: Granted Obama rarely did anything I agreed with, but on a few occasions I did give him credit when due.)

I'm not criticizing him. Think this is a cause for celebration. Don't you?

I'm not criticizing him. Think this is a cause for celebration. Don't you?

They will take any opportunity to throw jabs at Obama. But last time I checked, he is no longer sitting in the Oval Office. They have different characters there now.

Good to see that Trump & Admin did something productive.

And I am sure it is true since the WP reported it. Not sarcasm.

Good to see the charity worker come home

Interesting how no one is asking what Egypt got out of the deal

Naturally, you'd never be asking that if Obama had gotten them out.

Because Obama's administration usually disclosed that information

Trump has been far less Transparent than Obama unfortunately

Because Obama's administration usually disclosed that information

Trump has been far less Transparent than Obama unfortunately

I don't remember. Did the Obama administration disclose how much money they palletized and airlifted to Iran on a redeye flight?

I don't remember. Did the Obama administration disclose how much money they palletized and airlifted to Iran on a redeye flight?

Yes

Posted (edited)

Good point.  It was a ton, literally.

Edited by veritas

It's in the article.

Posted (edited)

Good point.  It was a ton, literally.

And Iran's money we seized we needed to give back or run the risk of losing a suit over the funds at The Hague and pay much more than what we owed....  But such details would mean nothing to your lot.

Edited by BaySock

Only after the news reported it ......

Nope, you are wrong bud.  The administration announced the payment(s) - monies the US needed to return to Iran in a claim Iran was to make before The Hague the administration would lose and be compelled to pay Iran far more than the money owed plus interest.  It was announced early that year of the intent to return Iran's money I seem to recall Iran paid for arms from us but we backed out of the deal and kept Iran's money for perhaps decades.....  We needed to return Iran's $400-million.

Nope, you are wrong bud.  The administration announced the payment(s) - monies the US needed to return to Iran in a claim Iran was to make before The Hague the administration would lose and be compelled to pay Iran far more than the money owed plus interest.  It was announced early that year of the intent to return Iran's money I seem to recall Iran paid for arms from us but we backed out of the deal and kept Iran's money for perhaps decades.....  We needed to return Iran's $400-million.

But if the media didn't report the secret cargo plane delivery do you really think Obama would have called a press conference to announce it ..?? Yes it was their frozen assets being returned but at the time a return of people was involved making it look like a hostage for money exchange.

But if the media didn't report the secret cargo plane delivery do you really think Obama would have called a press conference to announce it ..?? Yes it was their frozen assets being returned but at the time a return of people was involved making it look like a hostage for money exchange.

It's very moot how the transfer took place as long as we repaid money we had no business essentially ripping off another country.  We sold Iran arms ( Nixon's term I believe ), Iran upfront paid us $400-million, and we failed to provide Iran the arms yet ripped off, not legally frozen - ceased assets as you wrongfully characterize, and held the money for decades.  Iran seem to have done the proper thing and took us to court at the Hague and we figured we were NOT going to have a favorable outcome and we settled.  As I said, we announced the repayment was forth coming but far beyond the merits of that matter, you see cause to just stick it O because he didn't tell you the tail number of the plane carrying $400-million and you all tied in a knot over optics -- what it looked like over the hostages.

Some folks just need to eat sausage and just not see how it's made, especially when it is not made from one of your own like Jimmy Dean who make sausage just like everyone else.

Kind of disappointed to see that this has turned into still another thread celebrating divisiveness.  This event should be something of celebration, but it appears good news is no longer something to be enjoyed when one side and t0hen the other can use it to simply find fault.

One of ours who was held unjustly for trying to do good in an area that needs all the good it can get has come home.  Isn't that enough, just once?

Kind of disappointed to see that this has turned into still another thread celebrating divisiveness.  This event should be something of celebration, but it appears good news is no longer something to be enjoyed when one side and t0hen the other can use it to simply find fault.

One of ours who was held unjustly for trying to do good in an area that needs all the good it can get has come home.  Isn't that enough, just once?

Yeah, disappointing.  That's what your side "do" as several posters called the release good but your peeps started in on what O would or would not have done and Iran and other nonsense.  It's what they "do."  Nonetheless, we have a very serious underage human trafficking issue right here in the US and right in the DMV region and where the folks released were college educated.  Do your work here....

That is the result of partisanship and hatred.  This event is a cause for celebration, let's keep it simple for a change.

Posted (edited)

Did you say the same when Bergdahl was released? I seem to recall several Republicans sending congratulations tweets, but then later deleting them when they got the memo from GOP leadership.

Edited by ncbirdfan