Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MiddleOfTheRoad

One of our own comes home.

47 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Did you say the same when Bergdahl was released? I seem to recall several Republicans sending congratulations tweets, but then later deleting them when they got the memo from GOP leadership.

You'll have to check with the Republicans to see what they did, but yes, I celebrated Bergdahl coming home. He can now answer for his actions.

Edited by MiddleOfTheRoad

Bergdahl was a traitor and it's not unlikely that many sympathized with his walking off and feel no sympathy for those who died because he did.

The very real problem with this woman's release is that Trump obtained it and did it within 100 days what Obama couldn't or wouldn't do.

Nothing more; nothing less.

Bergdahl was a traitor and it's not unlikely that many sympathized with his walking off and feel no sympathy for those who died because he did.

The very real problem with this woman's release is that Trump obtained it and did it within 100 days what Obama couldn't or wouldn't do.

So now Bergdahl was tried for treason? I missed that. And you prove my point of what I responded to MOTR.

Posted (edited)

That is the result of partisanship and hatred.  This event is a cause for celebration, let's keep it simple for a change.

Lets not go over the top calling for celebration of folks native to the human rights abuse poster clan in Egypt with those folks here in the USA going over there where they know shyte goes down and then scream foul when the hammer drops on them...  Imagine a Korean-American going to NK to champion some cause or doing something to get in a jam and then call on the US government to get them out of the jam.  Watch for these folks just released to make their way back to Egypt to press on with their social work....  watch!

Edited by BaySock

So now Bergdahl was tried for treason? I missed that. And you prove my point of what I responded to MOTR.

He has his opinion and I have mine.

I think that Bergdahl is a traitor who cost the lives of patriots when he decided to take a stroll while on duty.

But wait when you learn of the price Trump paid.  Stay Tuned as it will come out in he wash and he will talk.... :D

I think that Bergdahl is a traitor who cost the lives of patriots when he decided to take a stroll while on duty.

Is this the fellow who joined the Army after being dismissed from another branch of the service over psychological issues?  If so, the Army could be complicit in Bergdahi's actions.

Yes, you do have an unsubstantiated opinion. And I will reiterate that you have done a very nice job at proving the point I was making to MOTR.

Lets not go over the top calling for celebration of folks native to the human rights abuse poster clan in Egypt with those folks here in the USA going over there were they know shyte goes down and then scream foul when the hammer drops on them...  Imagine a Korean-American going to NK to champion some cause or doing something to get in jam and then call on the US government to get them out of the jam.  Watch for these folks just released to make their way back to Egypt to press on with their social work....  watch!

Didn't know I was going over the top.  You may be right in that they may make their way back to Egypt.  Or maybe they learned a valuable life lesson.

Posted (edited)

But if the media didn't report the secret cargo plane delivery do you really think Obama would have called a press conference to announce it ..?? Yes it was their frozen assets being returned but at the time a return of people was involved making it look like a hostage for money exchange.

it wasn't a secret. The money transfer was announced by the Obama administration

Media Matters:

Right-Wing Media Distort WSJ Article To Claim Obama Administration Made Secret Payment To Iran

Secretary Of State John Kerry Issued Press Release Announcing Settlement Of Iranian Government’s Claims, Beginning With $400 Million Payment. On January 17, Secretary of State John Kerry issued a press release explaining that Iran will be paid $400 million, to be followed by $1.3 billion more to settle “a long outstanding claim at the Iran-U.S. Claims Tribunal in the Hague”:

The United States and Iran today have settled a long outstanding claim at the Iran-U.S. Claims Tribunal in the Hague.

This specific claim was in the amount of a $400 million Trust Fund used by Iran to purchase military equipment from the United States prior to the break in diplomatic ties. In 1981, with the reaching of the Algiers Accords and the creation of the Iran-U.S. Claims Tribunal, Iran filed a claim for these funds, tying them up in litigation at the Tribunal.

This is the latest of a series of important settlements reached over the past 35 years at the Hague Tribunal. In constructive bilateral discussions, we arrived at a fair settlement to this claim, which due to litigation risk, remains in the best interests of the United States.

Iran will receive the balance of $400 million in the Trust Fund, as well as a roughly $1.3 billion compromise on the interest. Iran’s recovery was fixed at a reasonable rate of interest and therefore Iran is unable to pursue a bigger Tribunal award against us, preventing U.S. taxpayers from being obligated to a larger amount of money. [u.S. Department of State, 1/17/16]
Edited by soulflower

Kind of disappointed to see that this has turned into still another thread celebrating divisiveness. This event should be something of celebration, but it appears good news is no longer something to be enjoyed when one side and t0hen the other can use it to simply find fault.

One of ours who was held unjustly for trying to do good in an area that needs all the good it can get has come home. Isn't that enough, just once?

It's bittersweet because:

- Sissi is a corrupt and brutal dictator

- Trump is enabling Sissi to continue to be a corrupt and brutal dictator

I know some will argue that this is no different from Obama re-opening ties to Cuba but in reality it's far different. Obama never invited Raul Castro to the White House or gave Castro praise.

It's nice that these Americans came home but what about the thousands of other political prisoners in Egypt?

I know some will argue that this is no different from Obama re-opening ties to Cuba but in reality it's far different. Obama never invited Raul Castro to the White House or gave Castro praise.

It's nice that these Americans came home but what about the thousands of other political prisoners in Egypt?

To be fair, it is never easy getting anyone released from foreign soil. And what works for one release will not necessarily work for the next one.

To be fair, it is never easy getting anyone released from foreign soil. And what works for one release will not necessarily work for the next one.

True but Egypt is supposed to be a US ally. They shouldn't have jailed Americans on trumped up charges in the first place. 

It's not the same as negotiating with our enemies

Something like satire isn't tolerated in Egypt.  See Bassem Youssef

I don't need to check. It is fact.

Here's a thread to provide a little memory:

http://talk.baltimoresun.com/topic/250913-only-american-soldier-held-prisoner-in-afghanistan-freed/page-2

Well, like I said, check with them.  My position in the Bergdahl case is that one of our came home.  He has to face justice for the charges against him, charges of which I think he is guilty, but at least he is home, facing those charges in a credible court system.

Don't know.  Ours is home.  I'll take that and call it a win.

Well, like I said, check with them.  My position in the Bergdahl case is that one of our came home.  He has to face justice for the charges against him, charges of which I think he is guilty, but at least he is home, facing those charges in a credible court system.

Cool. Glad the fellow will face a credible court with triers of facts who will examine evidence placed before it rather than your shoot from the hip  proclamation of guilt not knowing shyte of one of "ours"....

Don't know. Ours is home. I'll take that and call it a win.

I question why Egypt wasn't cooperating with the US government in the first place

I question why Egypt wasn't cooperating with the US government in the first place

No clue.

When I responded to you I was not accusing you. I recall you being quite neutral on it and allowing due process to take its course. I was just answering your question. Partisanship comes from both sides.

Egypt - US relations declined when The US suspended or greatly cutback billion dollar military aid and hundreds of millions in social aid due to the military overthrow of the elected Egypt president,  The fellow who recently met Trump was the military guy in charge.  I believe that guy who carried out the coup and is now the president was one of the first heads of state to call and congrat Trump for his election and Trump invited the guy for the White House visit he got.  Egypt is supposedly a big opponent of terrorist and I can see him calling upon Trump to supply them arms and other resources like before to help them fight terrorist and Trump get his so accused child molesters or traffickers back in a gesture of good will.  The current president wants a group known as the Muslim Brotherhood who supposed the deposed elected president called a terrorist group and it would be great if Trump (the US) would name the brotherhood terrorist as well.

At any rate, I can see the Egyptian president sprinting to Trump to take advantage of the new leader on the block, especially one who melts over nice things being said to him and told horrible things about treatment from Obama.  I do note when the Egyptian president came here to visit Trump and the Egyptian guy was asked a question by a reporter about human rights concerns in Egypt, Trump jump right in to quash the question and they moved on to the grip and grind photo / video op and softball questions.