Among the thinking people

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,665 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:02 PM

I don't need to check. It is fact.

Here's a thread to provide a little memory:

http://talk.baltimor...an-freed/page-2

Well, like I said, check with them.  My position in the Bergdahl case is that one of our came home.  He has to face justice for the charges against him, charges of which I think he is guilty, but at least he is home, facing those charges in a credible court system.

#42 MiddleOfTheRoad

MiddleOfTheRoad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,665 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:05 PM

It's bittersweet because:

- Sissi is a corrupt and brutal dictator

- Trump is enabling Sissi to continue to be a corrupt and brutal dictator

I know some will argue that this is no different from Obama re-opening ties to Cuba but in reality it's far different. Obama never invited Raul Castro to the White House or gave Castro praise.

It's nice that these Americans came home but what about the thousands of other political prisoners in Egypt?

Don't know.  Ours is home.  I'll take that and call it a win.

#43 BaySock

BaySock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:13 PM

Well, like I said, check with them.  My position in the Bergdahl case is that one of our came home.  He has to face justice for the charges against him, charges of which I think he is guilty, but at least he is home, facing those charges in a credible court system.

Cool. Glad the fellow will face a credible court with triers of facts who will examine evidence placed before it rather than your shoot from the hip  proclamation of guilt not knowing shyte of one of "ours"....

#44 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,381 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:40 PM

Don't know. Ours is home. I'll take that and call it a win.

I question why Egypt wasn't cooperating with the US government in the first place
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#45 MiddleOfTheRoad

MiddleOfTheRoad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,665 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:19 PM

I question why Egypt wasn't cooperating with the US government in the first place

No clue.

#46 ncbirdfan

ncbirdfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:53 PM

When I responded to you I was not accusing you. I recall you being quite neutral on it and allowing due process to take its course. I was just answering your question. Partisanship comes from both sides.

#47 BaySock

BaySock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:34 PM

Egypt - US relations declined when The US suspended or greatly cutback billion dollar military aid and hundreds of millions in social aid due to the military overthrow of the elected Egypt president,  The fellow who recently met Trump was the military guy in charge.  I believe that guy who carried out the coup and is now the president was one of the first heads of state to call and congrat Trump for his election and Trump invited the guy for the White House visit he got.  Egypt is supposedly a big opponent of terrorist and I can see him calling upon Trump to supply them arms and other resources like before to help them fight terrorist and Trump get his so accused child molesters or traffickers back in a gesture of good will.  The current president wants a group known as the Muslim Brotherhood who supposed the deposed elected president called a terrorist group and it would be great if Trump (the US) would name the brotherhood terrorist as well.

At any rate, I can see the Egyptian president sprinting to Trump to take advantage of the new leader on the block, especially one who melts over nice things being said to him and told horrible things about treatment from Obama.  I do note when the Egyptian president came here to visit Trump and the Egyptian guy was asked a question by a reporter about human rights concerns in Egypt, Trump jump right in to quash the question and they moved on to the grip and grind photo / video op and softball questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users