Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
themamba

Stags to Terrapins

55 posts in this topic

Yeah he flew in to see tavon and coxson if I remember correctly. But yes the dematha kids are good players, but you need to dominate the other areas of your state in recruiting if u want to win.

Yeah he flew in to see tavon and coxson if I remember correctly. But yes the dematha kids are good players, but you need to dominate the other areas of your state in recruiting if u want to win.

Agreed

Forgot about Adrian

Posted (edited)

Yea its not aerospace engineering. All you have to do is google top recruiting classes and UMD was at #18 with all of those DeMatha(DC area) kids. Durkin and Co. seem to be heading in the right direction. And of course UMD needs to lock Baltimore down, but you have to start somewhere.

In reality that #18 ranking means nothing if its not year in-out and when the other B10 teams are doing that and/or better with recruiting. In the B10 east Ohio st, Penn St., Michigan are very consistent and always inside the top 10. Many times fighting for the #1 spot in the country. Then in the west you have those teams that are the 2nd level in B10 recruiting, crazy tradition, and fan support along with locking their states down and have great walk-on programs. Kids turn down offers to walk-on at Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska while those schools recruit the rest of the country. Currently Minnesota is ranked 10th in recruiting and have what many consider one of our best backs committed out of GC. He will probably RS this year because they have some studs in the backfield at Minnesota and he never had a UMD offer based on 247 sports. They have to do a better job of recruiting the area if they want to compete in the B10.

Edited by Tomslick

It is a little bizarre to be down on Turgeon's Maryland recruiting in his second year. He has a top 20 class, another top 20 class next year and we are talking about something taking off. Maryland has recruited Balto well, last year there were three Balto area kids starting, in Braglio, Cockerill and Brooks. 

I could care less what zip code the kids come from as long as UMD starts being football relevant again. 

For those who say Maryland is ignoring Baltimore, not so.  I was at the Spring game Saturday and had a pretty good view of who was visiting and a number of Baltimore kids were in attendance as guests of Terps Football.  In addition, a number of 757 kids were there as well.  There direction is clear, you push local winning talent to attract other talent.  You can't get the best if you don't push winners to the front so other talent gives thought to, if those kids think Maryland can become viable, why not me be a part of it.  Too often we are too quick to come up with reasons to not give programs a chance to develop.  Rarely does any program become long term contenders without building from the ground up.  Maryland for too long out right ignored the DMV and Baltimore player.  Remember the kid Slater, I think that was his name who ended up at West Virginia, who out right was snubbed that was the straw for me back then. Let's not throw shade right off the bat when Coach Durkin and his coaching staff is working hard to change that.  Help them, send them an email, make a call, you see talent point them to it.  No program can catch all the talent in an area.

You can help bring them back to relevance, even in the Big Ten. 

For those who say Maryland is ignoring Baltimore, not so. I was at the Spring game Saturday and had a pretty good view of who was visiting and a number of Baltimore kids were in attendance as guests of Terps Football. In addition, a number of 757 kids were there as well. There direction is clear, you push local winning talent to attract other talent. You can't get the best if you don't push winners to the front so other talent gives thought to, if those kids think Maryland can become viable, why not me be a part of it. Too often we are too quick to come up with reasons to not give programs a chance to develop. Rarely does any program become long term contenders without building from the ground up. Maryland for too long out right ignored the DMV and Baltimore player. Remember the kid Slater, I think that was his name who ended up at West Virginia, who out right was snubbed that was the straw for me back then. Let's not throw shade right off the bat when Coach Durkin and his coaching staff is working hard to change that. Help them, send them an email, make a call, you see talent point them to it. No program can catch all the talent in an area.

Yes they are recruiting the area, got some players from McD, SFA, but are they hitting the other leagues for talent not at the privates. Baltimore City, County, Harford and all the others. Lots of talent that doesn't get recognized

In reality that #18 ranking means nothing if its not year in-out and when the other B10 teams are doing that and/or better with recruiting. In the B10 east Ohio st, Penn St., Michigan are very consistent and always inside the top 10. Many times fighting for the #1 spot in the country. Then in the west you have those teams that are the 2nd level in B10 recruiting, crazy tradition, and fan support along with locking their states down and have great walk-on programs. Kids turn down offers to walk-on at Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska while those schools recruit the rest of the country. Currently Minnesota is ranked 10th in recruiting and have what many consider one of our best backs committed out of GC. He will probably RS this year because they have some studs in the backfield at Minnesota and he never had a UMD offer based on 247 sports. They have to do a better job of recruiting the area if they want to compete in the B10.

You are 100% correct. The reason I brought up the ranking is because it's the only thing you can judge Durkin off of at this point. To bring a program like UMD in to the top 20 in your first and only recruiting cycle is a big boy move. The #1 issue with the past regime in College Park was not taking care of the kids in their own back yard. Well, Durkin made that priority number one and his first class was DC heavy. That doesn't mean that Baltimore is an after thought, it's just how things worked out last year. You had the clear top two teams in the area(DC-MD-VA) from the WCAC in DM and SJC and Durkin targeted those schools for their top guys. It's not aerospace...

Like WhoMe said, a lot of you are complaining without really knowing what UMD is actually doing. Baltimore, DC, and the tidewater will be heavily represented for the Terps in the future. How that will play out on the field is yet to be seen...I chose to be optimistic and trust the skill level of our local talent.

You are 100% correct. The reason I brought up the ranking is because it's the only thing you can judge Durkin off of at this point. To bring a program like UMD in to the top 20 in your first and only recruiting cycle is a big boy move. The #1 issue with the past regime in College Park was not taking care of the kids in their own back yard. Well, Durkin made that priority number one and his first class was DC heavy. That doesn't mean that Baltimore is an after thought, it's just how things worked out last year. You had the clear top two teams in the area(DC-MD-VA) from the WCAC in DM and SJC and Durkin targeted those schools for their top guys. It's not aerospace...

Like WhoMe said, a lot of you are complaining without really knowing what UMD is actually doing. Baltimore, DC, and the tidewater will be heavily represented for the Terps in the future. How that will play out on the field is yet to be seen...I chose to be optimistic and trust the skill level of our local talent.

I get it but thats not what you should judge Durkin off of at this point. At this level its what you do with the kids. They did a really good job of running the ball last season. Pass pro was horrible along with their defense. We saw signs of the defense at the spring game.

For those who say Maryland is ignoring Baltimore, not so.  I was at the Spring game Saturday and had a pretty good view of who was visiting and a number of Baltimore kids were in attendance as guests of Terps Football.  In addition, a number of 757 kids were there as well.  There direction is clear, you push local winning talent to attract other talent.  You can't get the best if you don't push winners to the front so other talent gives thought to, if those kids think Maryland can become viable, why not me be a part of it.  Too often we are too quick to come up with reasons to not give programs a chance to develop.  Rarely does any program become long term contenders without building from the ground up.  Maryland for too long out right ignored the DMV and Baltimore player.  Remember the kid Slater, I think that was his name who ended up at West Virginia, who out right was snubbed that was the straw for me back then. Let's not throw shade right off the bat when Coach Durkin and his coaching staff is working hard to change that.  Help them, send them an email, make a call, you see talent point them to it.  No program can catch all the talent in an area.

Do you mean Steve Slaton? He wasn't from Maryland. He's from PA.

I get it but thats not what you should judge Durkin off of at this point. At this level its what you do with the kids. They did a really good job of running the ball last season. Pass pro was horrible along with their defense. We saw signs of the defense at the spring game.

I tend to take recruiting a bit more serious than pass pro, but to each their own. I'll give the staff some time to get their kids in there before I start nitpicking.

In the past 4 years, you have had 57 kids from UMD's interpretation of the DMV drafted in the NFL. If you can keep the majority of those 57 players "home", you hare going to have a pretty good team.

In the past 4 years, you have had 57 kids from UMD's interpretation of the DMV drafted in the NFL. If you can keep the majority of those 57 players "home", you hare going to have a pretty good team.

They will have a pretty good team if they're coached and developed.

Yeah that's the guy. (Slaton) I forgot he was from PA.  He was being courted by a lot of schools and MD at the time was not one of them. He was close enough that they should of at least tried.

MD did offer Slaton and he actually committed to them before the Fridge pulled the offer.

I tend to take recruiting a bit more serious than pass pro, but to each their own. I'll give the staff some time to get their kids in there before I start nitpicking.

They were next to last in giving up sacks. 127th out of 128 teams. Thats tough to ignore.

They were next to last in giving up sacks. 127th out of 128 teams. Thats tough to ignore.

Yea they also finished in the top 20(top 10 in team percentage) in "sacks for" in all of the FBS. UMD/Plank did not bring Durkin in as HC to deal with this sack stat nonsense in year #1. They wanted/needed him to change the recruiting culture and he has started to do that.

.....they were also 121 out of 128 in giving up TFL's.....I am sure those things are why Borbely is out and Bowen is in....so Durkin made some big moves to deal with this "sack nonsense"

.....they were also 121 out of 128 in giving up TFL's.....I am sure those things are why Borbely is out and Bowen is in....so Durkin made some big moves to deal with this "sack nonsense"

Borbely is out? I thought he was moved to special assistant to make room for Bowen, no? Either way, everyone knew that Borbely was just a place holder. Bowen is a young talent with a promising future. It's a risky hire, but I like it. UMD was young and thin on the OL in 2016. The QB situation did not help either. Of course they were going to get roughed up in the Big 10. I'm still lost, why would anyone judge Durkin on this in year #1? I'd understand in year #3, but this is beyond petty right now.

he is still there but he is not a positional coach....he is in a off field capacity working with the defensive unit.

I think you can judge Durkihim after 1 year....Are you judging him as a finished product? No.....You have to look at what he has done in 1 year vs what was going on before he got here...personally I think he is doing a great job.....he is making moves on the field, on the sidelines and off the field that is better positioning his team and his players for on and off field success in the near future

Baltimore kids dont want to play for the 8th best team in the BIg10

Lol

There were 20  Baltimore area players on the 2017 Maryland roster. With Minter deciding not to play there are 19 Baltimore area players on the 2017 Maryland roster.

There were 20 Baltimore area players on the 2017 Maryland roster. With Minter deciding not to play there are 19 Baltimore area players on the 2017 Maryland roster.

Outer

Clinton isnt Baltimore

I count 10 Baltimore area players and two of them are kickers. Not a lot considering they currently have 105 players on their roster.

he is still there but he is not a positional coach....he is in a off field capacity working with the defensive unit.

I think you can judge Durkihim after 1 year....Are you judging him as a finished product? No.....You have to look at what he has done in 1 year vs what was going on before he got here...personally I think he is doing a great job.....he is making moves on the field, on the sidelines and off the field that is better positioning his team and his players for on and off field success in the near future

Every coach is judged year to year based on production etc and yes their recruiting class is a part of the equation. Some schools hold their recruit rankings higher than others. While some programs look for fit based on philosophy more than others.

If you know anything about spring games, they are for the fans. The O and D is Vanilla at best during the spring games,fact.