Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
confused fan

It’s Hard to Distinguish the Direct Cause of Mediocracy for the Ravens: Oz or Harbaugh?

21 posts in this topic

Can this upcoming draft be the beginning of the end of an era? It has been well documented how the front office has missed on several players in the draft. There are a lot of rumors swirling around including that the Ravens will trade back to acquire more picks. This is a good strategy if the front office can actually draft well. The front office will have to take some calculated risk this draft, and infuse playmakers. Free Agency was even to be fair, not for sure if the players brought in can be that extra push to get the team into the playoffs, only time will tell.

As a fan, I am near giving up on the coaching component of the team. It’s not that Harbaugh is a terrible coach but it appears to the outside that he needs to learn humility. His pride has hurt the team in terms of the coaching staff. I am hope that I am wrong but Marty M. is destined to disappoint and Dean Pees defense is destined to fall apart in the spotlight, (Christmas-Pittsburgh, Playoffs-New England). Without competent coaching would it really matter who the Ravens draft? Maybe they should draft all offensive and defensive lineman? Can Joe Flacco get a quarterback coach?

If this draft does not produce a group of strong players and if the Ravens miss the playoffs, one thing is for sure, it’s time for a change. The way the offseason is looking in terms of free agency and coaching, one has to wonder why the owner is delaying the inevitable. I hope that I am wrong……….

Injuries had something to do with it as well. At least the past two years. For instance, I'm hoping Flacco is completely recovered from his 2015 injury when camp opens. On defense there have been a few key injuries as well, especially in the secondary and defensive line.

Considering how good last year's draft was I'm not concerned that Ozzie forgot how to find talent. If anyone goes it'll be Harbaugh, but only if they fail to make improvement.

Edited by Slidemaster

Dean Pees defense is destined to fall apart in the spotlight, (Christmas-Pittsburgh, Playoffs-New England)

Interesting how you pick and choose things.  Yes they fell apart in NE (who would go on to win the SB) in the playoffs.  But didn't they beat Pittsburgh on the road the previous week?  Not to mention Pees was the DC during their SB run.

I agree with confused in the sense that the drought in fielding a winning team has gone on too long and there will be changes if it continues. I think not just an improvement is needed, we need to make it back into the playoffs. If we don't I can see bigger changes than just letting Harbaugh go. I think the writing will be on the wall for our QB as well and we'll look into the draft next year for an eventual successor. Interestingly- this draft will tell us a lot about how much faith the Front Office has in Flacco. If they go Defensive early than to me it signals they're doubling down on Defense to carry this team and have the same concerns many fans have about our QB- that he's unreliable and that perhaps that magic SB run was fortuitous more than anything else- which is fine by the way- I'll take a SB however it happens to come.

This offense on paper is absolutely atrocious- Wallace/ Perriman/ Moore?? Dixon is suspended for 4 games and our TEs are all old/injured, or unproven/injured. We have no chain movers, no playmakers, and  some promising pieces to a patchwork O-line. It's going to be hard to see how Flacco can compete with his counterparts given these circumstances when you know he needs certain things in place to play his best, but they aren't there- and that's the main indication imo that the team doesn't believe in him to pull another rabbit out of his hat and will just try to win with defense.

They've had their fair share of key injuries for sure the last couple seasons... but the offensive gameplan remains my biggest concern. And will until the coaching staff proves they've changed. I have my doubts, but we'll see. The pass / run balance has been INSANE the last two years. They're not built to be an air war type of team, but week after week for the last 32 games they've pretty much tried to be that team once the ball is kicked off.

I think one person kept us out of the playoffs last year and that was Flacco. It wasn't his fault though. That injury he had sometimes takes a long time to recover mentally from it. I expect him to play a lot better this year and take us deep in the playoffs. He played pretty good against the Steelers last year which was encouraging that maybe he has recovered.

It looked like to me at the end of the year that Bisciotti thinks along the same lines I do about Flacco.

I think our secondary is already greatly improved over last year. Jefferson is a huge upgrade and Carr is an upgrade as well. Tavon should be even better next year and I'm thinking he is going to be outstanding at nickel back. Webb can fill in for injuries but let's hope we stay healthy anyway. I disagree that this has been an average offseason. I think it's been well above average.

Interesting how you pick and choose things. Yes they fell apart in NE (who would go on to win the SB) in the playoffs. But didn't they beat Pittsburgh on the road the previous week? Not to mention Pees was the DC during their SB run.

Very true. Do you remember the amount of injuries to our secondary we had that year? We signed multiple players on Mondays and they were playing that Sunday.

I think their play schemes and coaching style are outdated and it costs them. They seem unable to adapt the play scheme to their players, and that also costs them. 

They are most comfortable with old school schemes and players. Their play is too conservative.

They wouldn't know what to do with a guy like Christian McCaffrey if he fell in their laps. OBJ wouldn't have the success he has had if he was on this team.

For what needs to take place I think tomorrow night they trade back/out of the first round - they need more picks. I think they will draft defense heavy.  They'll draft a WR but if it's anything lower than their first pick in round 3 (and I"m being generous), it won't matter.  They apparently are reluctant to draft offensive playmakers because they can't develop them so they get them later on in their careers. Their approach is to keep the defense young and invest in the offense very sparingly. Kind of boring to watch actually. The offense scores 1 TD and 3-4 FG's and that's their game.

I think their play schemes and coaching style are outdated and it costs them. They seem unable to adapt the play scheme to their players, and that also costs them. 

They are most comfortable with old school schemes and players. Their play is too conservative.

They wouldn't know what to do with a guy like Christian McCaffrey if he fell in their laps. OBJ wouldn't have the success he has had if he was on this team.

For what needs to take place I think tomorrow night they trade back/out of the first round - they need more picks. I think they will draft defense heavy.  They'll draft a WR but if it's anything lower than their first pick in round 3 (and I"m being generous), it won't matter.  They apparently are reluctant to draft offensive playmakers because they can't develop them so they get them later on in their careers. Their approach is to keep the defense young and invest in the offense very sparingly. Kind of boring to watch actually. The offense scores 1 TD and 3-4 FG's and that's their game.

Just to play devil's advocate, but, maybe one of the reasons the play-calling was outdated (in your words) was because of the personnel. There were frequent injuries and some players that were under-performing (two of which are no longer on the team). Also, the offensive coordinator just took over mid-stream last year. It will be interesting to see if this season that play-calling might be more innovative or if indeed it remains vanilla and outdated.

I would not disagree with the Ravens if they did trade back to get more picks. But if someone drops to them that they had highly rated they should also grab that player and worry about getting more picks later. Defensive and offensive lines are a need as well as a boost to their offensive skill players. Everything else is just gravy.

Just to play devil's advocate, but, maybe one of the reasons the play-calling was outdated (in your words) was because of the personnel. There were frequent injuries and some players that were under-performing (two of which are no longer on the team). Also, the offensive coordinator just took over mid-stream last year. It will be interesting to see if this season that play-calling might be more innovative or if indeed it remains vanilla and outdated.

I would not disagree with the Ravens if they did trade back to get more picks. But if someone drops to them that they had highly rated they should also grab that player and worry about getting more picks later. Defensive and offensive lines are a need as well as a boost to their offensive skill players. Everything else is just gravy.

I think if Barnett, Reddick or Humphrey are there at 16, they stay there.  Otherwise, I think they entertain offers to trade back.

I don't have a lot of confidence in Morhninweg, but I like the addition of Roman.

I agree they better get some OL and more than one, but some playmakers would be nice. I like D'onta Foreman if they add a back and Amara Darboh if they end up with a WR pick in rounds 3 or 4. The guys I really like are Chris Godwin and Smith-Schuster, but they may be gone after round 2. Since they haven't had great success with their second round picks lately, (KC and Maxx Williams), I'd like to see them try for Godwin in round 2.

I think if Barnett, Reddick or Humphrey are there at 16, they stay there.  Otherwise, I think they entertain offers to trade back.

I don't have a lot of confidence in Morhninweg, but I like the addition of Roman.

I agree they better get some OL and more than one, but some playmakers would be nice. I like D'onta Foreman if they add a back and Amara Darboh if they end up with a WR pick in rounds 3 or 4. The guys I really like are Chris Godwin and Smith-Schuster, but they may be gone after round 2. Since they haven't had great success with their second round picks lately, (KC and Maxx Williams), I'd like to see them try for Godwin in round 2.

The more I see of Smith Schuster the more I like him. He's slow as molasses but he's honed his routes and has really strong vice-like hands and a brawler mentality.

The other guy I've started watching is Carlos Henderson. He's like lightning with the ball in his hand. He has that rare instinct to see the whole field and knows where bodies are around him without having to look- and his cuts are like a blink. The downside of him is size- 5'11 198 and he will take time to acclimate into an NFL system. But I'd almost rather they pass on Godwin and Schuster (both of whom I really like) and take Henderson in the 3rd. He has some insane stat that he's forced the most missed tackles in CFB out of any Wr coming out in a few years. This year he forced 48 missed tackles- the next closest guy was at 26.

Here's a write-up on him: https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/reception-perception-carlos-henderson-something-worth-believing/

You may get your wish Poe,

There are plenty of safe, talented defensive players at positions of need to draft with their first 3 picks:

Edge, DL, LB and CB.  I expect them to take  OL and WR in this draft but when and who??.

We shall know soon.

Considering how good last year's draft was I'm not concerned that Ozzie forgot how to find talent. If anyone goes it'll be Harbaugh, but only if they fail to make improvement.

Ozzie is the common denominator in neglecting the O-line year after year.

Ozzie is the common denominator in neglecting the O-line year after year.

He's had some pretty good O-lines in his time here (as well as some bad ones). I wouldn't say building an O-line is his strength but it isn't like it is consistently terrible either.

He's had some pretty good O-lines in his time here (as well as some bad ones). I wouldn't say building an O-line is his strength but it isn't like it is consistently terrible either.

I have always complained they don't allocate enough resources to the O-line. Especially now, with Joe, when he has time he can put up elite numbers. The '95 Vikings (the year before Billick left) broke the points record. They give all the credit to Moss and Carter but they had 3 pro-bowlers on the O-line. Look at Priest Holmes, left here as a pretty good RB and won the rushing title in KC, who had the best O-line in the NFL at the time. Grbek went to the pro-Bowl and threw for 5000 yrds. behind that line. Came here and got mauled by defenses to the point he was crying on the side line. Dak Prescott was a rookie and looked like a super star behind that Dallas line. I can't believe they could've upgraded significantly at center and didn't. I think the fact they didn't do what they had to do to grab Elflien is going to be a big regret. Oh well. It is what it is.

Edited by mrdeltoid

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:40 AM, poefolks said:

This offense on paper is absolutely atrocious- Wallace/ Perriman/ Moore?? Dixon is suspended for 4 games and our TEs are all old/injured, or unproven/injured. We have no chain movers, no playmakers,

Which is why passing on Howard made no sense.

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

Which is why passing on Howard made no sense.

Wouldn't Howard be unproven as well? I, like you scratched my head with the Humphries selection, but until the players actually play we won't know if they live up to the hype or not.

Just now, ncbirdfan said:

Wouldn't Howard be unproven as well? I, like you scratched my head with the Humphries selection, but until the players actually play we won't know if they live up to the hype or not.

I don't disagree. But drafting a corner could have waited until the 2nd round. The draft was pretty deep at that position. It's clear we need a playmaker on offense.

Just now, bmore_ken said:

I don't disagree. But drafting a corner could have waited until the 2nd round. The draft was pretty deep at that position. It's clear we need a playmaker on offense.

And you get no arguments with me there as well. Hopefully the Ravens know more than we do.