Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soulflower

Mike Flynn "likely" broke the Law

62 posts in this topic

No wonder he wanted Immunity

WaPo:

Former national security adviser Michael Flynn likely broke the law by failing to disclose foreign income he earned from Russia and Turkey, the heads of the House Oversight Committee said Tuesday.

Committee chairman Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) and ranking member Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) said they believe Flynn neither received permission nor fully disclosed income he earned for a speaking engagement in Russia and lobbying activities on behalf of Turkey when he applied to reinstate his security clearance, after viewing two classified memos and Flynn’s disclosure form in a private briefing Tuesday morning.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/flynn-likely-broke-the-law-by-failing-to-disclose-foreign-payments-house-committee-says/2017/04/25/249fc22c-29cc-11e7-a616-d7c8a68c1a66_story.html?utm_term=.0b5119f4ef71

Your article is behind a paywall so if this is covered, my apologies.

The White House is also refusing lawmakers requests for info about Flynn payments:

The White House has declined to provide congressional lawmakers with documents about former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn's payments from foreign governments, including Russia.

The Republican and Democratic leaders of the House Oversight Committee committee released a letter Tuesday from White House lawyers citing why they could not provide the lawmakers with any of the information they requested. 

Republican Rep. Jason Chaffetz and Democratic Rep. Elijah Cummings told reporters Tuesday they are seeking information about whether Flynn properly disclosed possible payments from Russian and Turkish governments.

"I see no data to support the notion that Gen. Flynn complied with the law," Chaffetz said

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/white-house-denies-lawmakers-request-info-about-flynn-payments-n750676

Guess who came to dinner with Putin and Flynn?

It was a (red) star-studded affair, the December 2015 dinner celebrating the 10th birthday of Russian TV network RT. At a luxe Moscow hotel, President Vladimir Putin and a host of Russian luminaries toasted a state-backed news channel that U.S. intelligence calls a Kremlin mouthpiece.

And next to Putin at the head table, in the seat of honor, was an American. Retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, who would later become Donald Trump's national security adviser, was already advising Trump's presidential campaign when he was paid $45,000 to speak at the gala.

"It is not coincidence that Flynn was placed next to President Putin," said Michael McFaul, U.S. ambassador in Moscow from 2012 to 2014 and now an NBC News analyst. "Flynn was considered a close Trump adviser. Why else would they want him there?"

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/guess-who-came-dinner-flynn-putin-n742696

Posted (edited)

Maybe it's just me but Flynn having not reported to be a foreign agent isn't new info....  I thought this Russian speech thing was known from the repub convention.

Edited by BaySock

What would Flynn say?

Lock him up!

Nah, Flynn is saying --- IMMUNITY anyone!

Wonder why the WH won't cooperate with the committee....

LOL just kidding, we all know why.

From what I've read this morning... charge and try him.  If convicted maximum penalty as an example.

They 

Wonder why the WH won't cooperate with the committee....

LOL just kidding, we all know why.

They can't give records they don't have .

Posted (edited)

They 

They can't give records they don't have .

They can hide records they do have....just don't look for them.  Remember the visitor log records the press asked Spicer about when Nunes was doing his spy thing?  Spicer said he would look into it only not to give the information to the press and then removed the visitor log from public review for 12 years after the president departed office!!!  I'm sure the White House telephone switch is digital with digital records of calls.  I'm sure Flynn had a G cell phone / PDA with digital records.  There are records....  I seem to recall Trump had a shake down search of phones when he was looking for a leak within his staff.

Edited by BaySock

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, michiganjoe said:

Decline? DECLINE? When the blip does someone get the right to decline? I am by no means a legal scholar but when you are subpoenaed  doesn't that mean you better show up or else?

Time for a warrant of arrest and the silver bracelets.

Anymore the 5th is pretty much an admission of guilt BIG TIME.

Guess they will have to find other ways to screw him to the wall. Which considering....shouldn't really be too hard with all these other investigations going on.

Edited by Guido2

He can only be forced to testify with immunity. Legally the right move but obviously bad optics.

1 hour ago, michiganjoe said:

Did you complain when Lois Lerner invoked the 5th Amendment? 

"Lois G. Lerner, who led the IRS tax-exempt unit at the center of the scandal, invoked her Fifth Amendment right against self-
incrimination during an appearance before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, saying that members of the panel had already falsely accused her of providing false information to Congress."

9 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Decline? DECLINE? When the blip does someone get the right to decline? I am by no means a legal scholar but when you are subpoenaed  doesn't that mean you better show up or else?

Time for a warrant of arrest and the silver bracelets.

Anymore the 5th is pretty much an admission of guilt BIG TIME.

Guess they will have to find other ways to screw him to the wall. Which considering....shouldn't really be too hard with all these other investigations going on.

The Subpeona is for documents so this will be a gray area but likely his lawyer is correct since he was not a government employee during that period. In this case without the documents thier is still enough to sink him!

Chances are Flynn did break the law but how does that get you what you want, a Trump impeachment?  An assumption that he knows something else and will trade that for a get out of jail card?  

8 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

"Lois G. Lerner, who led the IRS tax-exempt unit at the center of the scandal, invoked her Fifth Amendment right against self-
incrimination during an appearance before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, saying that members of the panel had already falsely accused her of providing false information to Congress."

Hillary's IT guy got immunity but still took the 5th ........

8 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

quick who said this --> When you are given immunity, that means you have probably committed a crime"

was it :

A Michael Flynn

B Michael Flynn

C Michael Flynn

or

D. it doesn't matter, he wasn't under oath when he said it.

Bonus question: what is the penalty for lying on your SF-86?

10 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

Chances are Flynn did break the law but how does that get you what you want, a Trump impeachment?  An assumption that he knows something else and will trade that for a get out of jail card?  

My 2cents. I think generally speaking WE want someone screwed to the wall AND NOW....not next week, month or year. NOW!!!

And maybe when he gets screwed to the wall or looks like he will Flynn will suddenly get diarrhea of the mouth and brain.

This is a long long path....but a victory like this would make us all feel that SOMETHING is being done and WE are just not getting BSed.

6 minutes ago, can you hear me now! said:

quick who said this --> When you are given immunity, that means you have probably committed a crime"

was it :

A Michael Flynn

B Michael Flynn

C Michael Flynn

or

D. it doesn't matter, he wasn't under oath when he said it.

Bonus question: what is the penalty for lying on your SF-86?

ABC....bonus question... you or me.....you won't see the light of day for near a long time....him? Who knows....depends if a big fish is worth cutting a deal. That 'story' we keep hearing about.

12 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Hillary's IT guy got immunity but still took the 5th ........

Have any of you actually read the 5th?

An important quote.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury,

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/fifth_amendment

So gang..... as I read it.....the minute a grand jury is involved (not the congress not anybody else) Flynn and others can invoke the 5th and it will 'stick'. GJ.....talk about the flying fickeled finger of fate.

All bets are off.

We have never (to my knowledge) had a grand jury hearing always been a bunch congress.Think about it.

Also has anyone noticed that Independent counsel is now almost always referred to as independent prosecutor? Maybe there is something more 'a foot' than they care to let on.

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

ABC....bonus question... you or me.....you won't see the light of day for near a long time....him? Who knows....depends if a big fish is worth cutting a deal. That 'story' we keep hearing about.

I've filled out SF-86's for 40 years. I've seen what happens when you lie on one. For civilian's it results in a loss of your clearance and if the omission is serious enough, termination plus legal issues. Service members lose their clearance and if there job requires a clearance, the are discharged. As with civilians, if the omission is serious enough, see you in court.

Flynn is looking as some serious charges, not to mention the potential loss of some or all of his pension (the Army can all him back to active duty, have a hearing, and reduce him in rank and pay). He has a story that involves Pence, Trump, his princess and her pince, and Trump's legal advisor. Would be fascinating to see the records from Flynn's vetting process (who am I kidding, he flattered the giant orange snowflake, and was promised by the princess he would be rewarded for his loyalty.

read this after I posted --> http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/22/politics/house-oversight-committee-flynn-letter/index.html

Flynn is the gift that just keeps on giving....

also notice who is avoiding approaching the WH...everyone's favorite repugnican head of the house oversight committee...no surprise there....

Edited by can you hear me now!

9 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

No but you did. I also think Flynn and Trump both said taking the 5th was an admission of guilt!

34 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Have any of you actually read the 5th?

An important quote.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury,

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/fifth_amendment

So gang..... as I read it.....the minute a grand jury is involved (not the congress not anybody else) Flynn and others can invoke the 5th and it will 'stick'. GJ.....talk about the flying fickeled finger of fate.

All bets are off.

We have never (to my knowledge) had a grand jury hearing always been a bunch congress.Think about it.

Also has anyone noticed that Independent counsel is now almost always referred to as independent prosecutor? Maybe there is something more 'a foot' than they care to let on.

Actually there is a grand jury!