alienrace

Could the end be near for ESPN?

22 posts in this topic

Word is, they are laying off a slew of employees, including about 50 really well known ones, such as Ed Werder(who was one of the more(few remaining) respected reporters) and Trent Dilfer(ex-Raven) 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/04/26/espn-announces-layoffs-with-100-people-reportedly-affected/?utm_term=.60c9f880f817

ESPN just isn't getting it.  After curiously firing a bunch of conservative-leaning personalities last year, then Chris Berman suddenly "retiring", they seemed to be going the route of MTV - goofy shows and tabloid style "hip" topical reporting/journalism as a desperate measure to connect to the younger demographic.  Of course the reality is that with NFL, NHL, MLB, etc networks, and other sports networks, their inferior product was just finding it's correct place in the current pecking order - bottom of the trash heap.  Nobody watches MTV for videos anymore, and nobody watches ESPN for sports news anymore.

Disney cannot be too pleased, this coming after an order from them to stop being too political a year ago.

I think the ESPN brand is still strong enough that they won't go anywhere anytime soon. Hell, hosting fantasy sports is enough to keep them in business. However, I do think there is more quality competition than ever before.

People are too smart now. The internet makes all information available all the time. They know when what they're getting is an inferior product. Companies of all kinds either have to step up their game or be left behind.

Edited by Slidemaster

Word is, they are laying off a slew of employees, including about 50 really well known ones, such as Ed Werder(who was one of the more(few remaining) respected reporters) and Trent Dilfer(ex-Raven) 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/04/26/espn-announces-layoffs-with-100-people-reportedly-affected/?utm_term=.60c9f880f817

ESPN just isn't getting it.  After curiously firing a bunch of conservative-leaning personalities last year, then Chris Berman suddenly "retiring", they seemed to be going the route of MTV - goofy shows and tabloid style "hip" topical reporting/journalism as a desperate measure to connect to the younger demographic.  Of course the reality is that with NFL, NHL, MLB, etc networks, and other sports networks, their inferior product was just finding it's correct place in the current pecking order - bottom of the trash heap.  Nobody watches MTV for videos anymore, and nobody watches ESPN for sports news anymore.

Disney cannot be too pleased, this coming after an order from them to stop being too political a year ago.

I have called ESPN the sports version of Fox News for some time now and I also cannot watch it. I also rarely go to their web site. If I want tabloids I'll go to the tabloid sites. It's like they don't think the sports themselves have merit; they have to sensationalize everything.

The amount of time spent on a select few teams and non-stories like whatever Tebow did this week, make ESPN nearly unwatchable.  I also am amazed at how much coverage the NBA gets.  Now I don't follow the NBA too much since Baltimore doesn't have a team and I never became a fan of the Wizards (like I did with the Caps), so I might be biased.

Wow, they let go of Jayson Stark. I didn't expect that.

I like Stark's articles.  I'm in to the weird things that happen in baseball.  Hopefully, he'll land somewhere else and do the same kind of thing.

... they seemed to be going the route of MTV - goofy shows and tabloid style "hip" topical reporting/journalism as a desperate measure to connect to the younger demographic.  Of course the reality is that with NFL, NHL, MLB, etc networks, and other sports networks, their inferior product was just finding it's correct place in the current pecking order - bottom of the trash heap.  Nobody watches MTV for videos anymore, and nobody watches ESPN for sports news anymore.

Such a good comparison. I love music and I love sports and I don't watch either of these networks. I should mention that I tend avoid hype and analysis, usually I turn a game on just as it starts and turn it off when it's over (except for my home teams).

I haven't watched ESPNESN for years. The last time I intentionally went to their channel(s), besides MNF, was the Monday after the Ravens won the SB. And that was just to soak up every bit of commentary on the game. It's interesting to read everyone's comments here. It reassures me that I didn't make a bad decision, when I tuned out. 

I had one of their channels on today for a bit... then the Smith / Kellerman show came on. Molly Qerim had me staring at the screen for a bit... then Smith started yelling nonstop about something, and it snapped me out of the trance. Off it went.

Maybe I'm getting too old, but the over the top theater of Berman, or Smith, or a guy like Rome... just don't have any interest in it.

ESPN should have done a survey of viewer to ask who to wack. I would fire the people who post Tebow and Tiger Woods stories! They got rid of more quality people (who were probably making more $$$). 

I would wack 1/2 of their NFL Countdown and MNF studio people. 

lost 10 million subscribers since 2011 Cord- cutting a factor

tough business

"OURAND: Well, it's not only the subscriber loss which is huge and it's really affecting all cable channels. ESPN used to be in close to a hundred million houses and now it's in less than 87 million homes according to Nielsen. And ESPN gets about $7 per subscriber per month. And so that loss ends up being a lot of money. But combined with that - losses, ESPN has been paying more and more and more for sports rights."

http://www.npr.org/2017/04/26/525764676/cord-cutting-leads-espn-to-target-on-air-personalities-in-massive-layoffs

The amount of time spent on a select few teams and non-stories like whatever Tebow did this week, make ESPN nearly unwatchable. I also am amazed at how much coverage the NBA gets. Now I don't follow the NBA too much since Baltimore doesn't have a team and I never became a fan of the Wizards (like I did with the Caps), so I might be biased.

The NBA and NHL have nearly identical attendance, 21 mil per year, yet ESPN has 1/100th of the coverage for the NHL.

The NBA and NHL have nearly identical attendance, 21 mil per year, yet ESPN has 1/100th of the coverage for the NHL.

I used to joke that Barry Melrose was the only hockey analyst at ESPN.  Now I think that's actually true.

lost 10 million subscribers since 2011 Cord- cutting a factor

tough business

"OURAND: Well, it's not only the subscriber loss which is huge and it's really affecting all cable channels. ESPN used to be in close to a hundred million houses and now it's in less than 87 million homes according to Nielsen. And ESPN gets about $7 per subscriber per month. And so that loss ends up being a lot of money. But combined with that - losses, ESPN has been paying more and more and more for sports rights."

http://www.npr.org/2017/04/26/525764676/cord-cutting-leads-espn-to-target-on-air-personalities-in-massive-layoffs

All the new sports channels cut into ESPN views. Once some of the newbies go after sports rights they will be in the same boat.

I used to joke that Barry Melrose was the only hockey analyst at ESPN.  Now I think that's actually true.

Yeah, Buccigross is dead man walking apparently. 

There is no question that ESPN has made a very concerted effort to attract the younger, hipper, more urban crowd in recent years.  Hockey and Baseball have been put into the archives practically.  Strangely though, they still have the obnoxiously long Golf segments. 

ESPN has forgotten that people over 35 like sports ;)

Yeah, Buccigross is dead man walking apparently. 

There is no question that ESPN has made a very concerted effort to attract the younger, hipper, more urban crowd in recent years.  Hockey and Baseball have been put into the archives practically.  Strangely though, they still have the obnoxiously long Golf segments. 

ESPN has forgotten that people over 35 like sports ;)

But the ad people want the younger viewers .....