Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slidemaster

2017 Draft thread

195 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, mikemor1 said:

Offensive playmakers- why do they avoid them like the plague??

I don't get it. Like I said I'm not privy to Oz's info, but for all intents and purposes we passed up on an offensive  playmaker for a guy who supposedly can't cover the deep ball in a conference with A.J Green, John Ross, and Antonio Brown. I know the Oz loyalists won't go there, but I personally think he's losing his touch. He hasn't hit too many home runs from his last 4 or 5 drafts.

14 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I don't get it. Like I said I'm not privy to Oz's info, but for all intents and purposes we passed up on an offensive  playmaker for a guy who supposedly can't cover the deep ball in a conference with A.J Green, John Ross, and Antonio Brown. I know the Oz loyalists won't go there, but I personally think he's losing his touch. He hasn't hit too many home runs from his last 4 or 5 drafts.

Typical silliness. The man hasn't played a down yet and you got Humphrey as a bust. You did throw in the word "supposedly" to give you an out. That gave your post a nice touch.

1 hour ago, RavingManiac said:

Typical silliness. The man hasn't played a down yet and you got Humphrey as a bust. You did throw in the word "supposedly" to give you an out. That gave your post a nice touch.

I'm sorry but I don't see the word "bust" in my post. Can you point it out for me? Can you ever respond to a post without being in battle mode? It's not that serious, it's just my opinion.

Edited by bmore_ken

18 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I tend to agree. Last year they drafted K. Correa in round 2 because Arthur Brown never panned out, a prior round 2 pick.. And I know he was injured early, but now they have Kafusi drafted last year also in round 3. He'll be competing with Brent Urban whom they drafted the year before in round 4. 

Yet they seem to have tremendous confidence in Perriman with his previous 1 1/2 years of baffling injuries. Even IF they wanted Humphrey in round 1, they could have gotten Chris Godwin in round 3. 

46 minutes ago, mikemor1 said:

I tend to agree. Last year they drafted K. Correa in round 2 because Arthur Brown never panned out, a prior round 2 pick.. And I know he was injured early, but now they have Kafusi drafted last year also in round 3. He'll be competing with Brent Urban whom they drafted the year before in round 4. 

Yet they seem to have tremendous confidence in Perriman with his previous 1 1/2 years of baffling injuries. Even IF they wanted Humphrey in round 1, they could have gotten Chris Godwin in round 3. 

I read an article where they were describing the Ravens draft room. For the Ravens 2nd pick in the 3rd round they were deciding between a WR and Williams. The article states that even the Ravens OC said that the Ravens needed to draft Williams because he was better value then the WR. So maybe the Ravens were considering Godwin in round 3. http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Byrne-Identity-Inside-The-Ravens-Draft-Room/15f87b61-c72b-4bcc-9047-8ebd12e7bc48

I am actually one of the few believers in Perriman. I say that because last year, he disappeared in games or maybe had 11 or 2 catches, but he still had 500 yards receiving. I just think we need to throw the ball deep to him a little more then last year so he can show he play making skills. On a couple of those drag routes when he caught the ball in space, no one could catch him.

Edited by Dub

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:30 PM, bmore_ken said:

10 hours ago, RavingManiac said:

He didn't call him a bust, and you can't really call anyone a bust before they ever play.  But you can comment on what the guy looked like in college.  If you saw the tapes on the guy, he got torched a number of times when teams threw deep.  He plays in a system where the sum of the parts is usually greater than the individual parts.  There are good players that have come out of Alabama under Saban, but there are also players who were good in college because of the system who never panned out in the NFL.  Same was true of QBs coming out of Florida under Spurrier.  They were often great in college only to suck in the NFL.  I don't know how Humphrey will do in the NFL, but I do think he was a bit of a reach in the first round with the pick number the Ravens had.  I think Ozzie needs to back off of the Alabama connection a bit.  He seems to get consumed with Alabama players and value them higher than they really deserve.  But we will see.  Maybe Humphrey will turn into a first round stud and prove everyone who didn't like this pick wrong.   

3 hours ago, cprenegade said:

He didn't call him a bust, and you can't really call anyone a bust before they ever play.  But you can comment on what the guy looked like in college.  If you saw the tapes on the guy, he got torched a number of times when teams threw deep.  He plays in a system where the sum of the parts is usually greater than the individual parts.  There are good players that have come out of Alabama under Saban, but there are also players who were good in college because of the system who never panned out in the NFL.  Same was true of QBs coming out of Florida under Spurrier.  They were often great in college only to suck in the NFL.  I don't know how Humphrey will do in the NFL, but I do think he was a bit of a reach in the first round with the pick number the Ravens had.  I think Ozzie needs to back off of the Alabama connection a bit.  He seems to get consumed with Alabama players and value them higher than they really deserve.  But we will see.  Maybe Humphrey will turn into a first round stud and prove everyone who didn't like this pick wrong.   

I think at some point people have to start rooting for Humphrey to succeed, whether they actually liked the pick or not. I do agree, though, with you and several other posters who view the pick as a bit of a reach.

It seemed more of a luxury pick and not one that is necessarily going to improve the team, at least not right away, which is what you want from a first rounder. I know Humphrey has upside, but the first pick typically doesn't fall into the "project" category.

4 hours ago, mdrunning said:

I think at some point people have to start rooting for Humphrey to succeed, whether they actually liked the pick or not. I do agree, though, with you and several other posters who view the pick as a bit of a reach.

It seemed more of a luxury pick and not one that is necessarily going to improve the team, at least not right away, which is what you want from a first rounder. I know Humphrey has upside, but the first pick typically doesn't fall into the "project" category.

Personally I root for every player the Ravens draft. Ok it took me a minute to get on the Flacco train and my doubts about him have sort of been justified but I digress. IN MY OPINION, the Humphrey pick makes sense if someone like Howard isn't there. Your 1st round pick is supposed to be an impact player. It's doubtful Humphrey will even start. He's definitely not starting over Smith and I'd be shocked if Harbaugh starts him over Carr. As cpr said, I hope everyone who likes the pick is right and he becomes a stud NFL player because that's good for the team. 

18 hours ago, Dub said:

I read an article where they were describing the Ravens draft room. For the Ravens 2nd pick in the 3rd round they were deciding between a WR and Williams. The article states that even the Ravens OC said that the Ravens needed to draft Williams because he was better value then the WR. So maybe the Ravens were considering Godwin in round 3. http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Byrne-Identity-Inside-The-Ravens-Draft-Room/15f87b61-c72b-4bcc-9047-8ebd12e7bc48

I am actually one of the few believers in Perriman. I say that because last year, he disappeared in games or maybe had 11 or 2 catches, but he still had 500 yards receiving. I just think we need to throw the ball deep to him a little more then last year so he can show he play making skills. On a couple of those drag routes when he caught the ball in space, no one could catch him.

Actually I'm glad they got Tim Williams. It's the Wormley pick I would have used for Godwin. Instead, he'll be playing for the Steelers. Nothing against Wormley, but I think the need was more pressing at WR.

23 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I'm sorry but I don't see the word "bust" in my post. Can you point it out for me? Can you ever respond to a post without being in battle mode? It's not that serious, it's just my opinion.

I know it's your opinion but I just don't see how you can complain about the guy before he even plays a down. Even if you go by what somebody wrote, you got to believe that the Ravens scouts have a lot more information to go by than some sports writer. I remember when the Ravens picked Jamal Lewis. There was one guy on TV that said that was the worst pick of the draft and that if Jamal would have stayed in college, he wouldn't have even started in college much less be s starter for an NFL team. All I'm saying is maybe we should give the guy a chance before we deem him a bust or as you suggest "...can't cover the deep ball...".

I realize you didn't use the word bust but you insinuated that he cannot cover the deep ball which, in my mind, would be a bust. To draft a CB who can't cover the deep ball in the first round is a bust all day long in my book. I apologize if I came across in "battle mode". I just could not understand why anybody would not give the guy a chance before we say he is not worthy.

10 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Good post but I don't think he is going to be a project. Ozzie and his team put countless hours on every player they think is draft worthy and even players who are not draft worthy for that matter. The Ravens could save millions of dollars and just go by what Mel Kiper or what Mayock has as the best player available and then just choose that player. If you and I knew that Jonathan Allen or Reuben Foster was rated a lot higher on Kiper's draft board than Humphrey, you can rest assured Ozzie knew that. Ozzie just thinks his team is better than Kiper. I have to believe Humphrey was rated a lot better than any other player at that time by the Ravens and that is why they picked him. I'm just guessing this is the case though. I don't ever think Ozzie would reach for a project player who can't cover the deep ball when there were other players who were rated so much higher on Kiper's board. For all I know, maybe the owner told him who to pick.

2 hours ago, mikemor1 said:

Actually I'm glad they got Tim Williams. It's the Wormley pick I would have used for Godwin. Instead, he'll be playing for the Steelers. Nothing against Wormley, but I think the need was more pressing at WR.

This post actually makes my point about Ozzie never reaching for a pick of need. We all know what the most pressing need is and that's WR but Wormley was the higher rated player.

20 minutes ago, RavingManiac said:

This post actually makes my point about Ozzie never reaching for a pick of need. We all know what the most pressing need is and that's WR but Wormley was the higher rated player.

I'm sure that will comfort Flacco as he runs around the backfield looking for an open WR..

But yes, your point is taken.

Edited by mikemor1

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:40 AM, RavingManiac said:

I know it's your opinion but I just don't see how you can complain about the guy before he even plays a down. Even if you go by what somebody wrote, you got to believe that the Ravens scouts have a lot more information to go by than some sports writer. I remember when the Ravens picked Jamal Lewis. There was one guy on TV that said that was the worst pick of the draft and that if Jamal would have stayed in college, he wouldn't have even started in college much less be s starter for an NFL team. All I'm saying is maybe we should give the guy a chance before we deem him a bust or as you suggest "...can't cover the deep ball...".

I realize you didn't use the word bust but you insinuated that he cannot cover the deep ball which, in my mind, would be a bust. To draft a CB who can't cover the deep ball in the first round is a bust all day long in my book. I apologize if I came across in "battle mode". I just could not understand why anybody would not give the guy a chance before we say he is not worthy.

I guess the Ravens scouts nailed it on Matt Elam too, right? I prefaced my original statement with " I don't have Oz's Information."

Again I gave my opinion and you act like I was talking about your child or something. It's not that serious bro.

Humphrey is supremely talented athletically and is an all around "A" prospect given his healthy background/work ethic/intelligence etc. He runs a 4.4 40 and has great hip movement for his size/length. You are betting the coaches can mold him into a top flight corner and I can see where they're coming from with the pick, although there's no doubt to me OJ Howard or Rueben Foster is a better/ more talented player right now. I just think Oz was staying safe and filling a need. If the coaches can iron out Humphrey's deep ball problems- I've watched tape on and he's around the WR/ ball but can't seem to make the play for whatever reason- but if they iron that out his floor is a good CB- which is really important in this league. His ceiling is a shutdown. It's low risk, steady reward play.

Here is a scouting report on Humphrey from drafttek.com who I like bc they get into the X's & O's of the tape:

It is a top-heavy group of corners this year, and Humphrey is competing to be the first taken. He has been an extremely active corner in his two years starting at Alabama. He has very good size, length, and athleticism for the position. While it is important to remember that he has played in a defense that has been packed with future-NFL talent, scouts must also look at the little things involved with Humphrey's game. That is where they see a player that can be special at the next level. 

HumphreyAction1.jpg

Humphrey has good enough feet and athleticism to play man-to-man but where he is special is in zone coverage. His ability to see a route in front of him, and immediately understand the route combination going on is elite. That shows not only great football instincts but also a player that puts in the time in the film room. He reads the route of the man across from him and automatically reacts to what he knows is his responsibility. So many times, you see the man across from him run a short route, and Humphrey knows there is a receiver on a deep route behind him that will come open if he bites or even hesitates. Against Clemson in the national championship his redshirt-sophomore year, DeShaun Watson was thrown off a number of times because he wanted to go to the deep route on Humphrey's half of the field but he never bit on the short route. What made matters worse was Humphrey would read Watson's hesitation after he took away that throw and then he would turn his shoulders and prepare himself to break on the shorter route once it was thrown. At least a handful of times this happened and Watson was forced to tuck the ball and improvise. That is something that coaches preach, but it rarely gets executed properly. 

Humphrey also has success in press-man coverage. He has long arms and active feet that help him jam the receiver and get into prime-coverage position in the receiver's pocket. Those long arms come in handy when making a play on the ball as well. He times his jumps accurately and usually gets at least a hand on the ball when he is in good position. The combination of both his ability in zone and press-man make him an ideal fit for a team that runs a lot of cover two. Whether playing man out of cover two or zone, he has the skills to be a special player in that kind of defense. He also displays very good ball skills which has resulted in five interceptions in his career. 

HumphreyAction2.jpg

Against the run, he is a step ahead of most of the corners in this class. Playing on that Alabama defense, a player who doesn't like contact would stick out like a sixth finger. That peer pressure has forced him to be a willing participant in the run game. He looks for opportunities to blow people up, and at worst, he gets low and delivers a good enough hit to get the job done. He also closes on the ball extremely quickly. He does need to be more disciplined about wrapping up, but as mentioned earlier, he is ahead of the pack in this area. He also does a decent job of taking on lead blockers. If there is one area I think he has a weakness, it would be in situations where he is in man coverage with no help. His feet and speed are very good for his size, but the receivers with truly elite speed and quickness will get their fair share of separation from him when left on an island. 

The ideal fit for him would be in a Tampa-Two scheme, but there are other schemes where he can have success. Because of his combination of skills, a lot of teams are going to be interested in him in the first round, should he declare himself. He comes from a family rich with athletic success. His father was a football star both at Alabama and in the NFL, and his mother was a track star at UAB. He also has very good character, and I would go out on a limb in saying this is probably one of Nick Saban's favorite defensive backs in his time at Alabama, both on and off the field. 

Compares to (Current NFL Player): Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (New York Giants) 

Strengths
- Terrific size and length for the position
- Great athleticism with track speed and quick feet
- Closes quickly and isn't afraid to throw his body around
- Outstanding awareness in coverage and football IQ
- Good ball skills and timing
- High character and work ethic

Weaknesses
- Not a lockdown corner that can be left on an island
- Needs to wrap up better as a tackler

Our secondary should be elite this year, if it stays healthy.  I like Humphrey, but the pick doesn't excite me, I was hoping more for a pass rusher, but I guess we picked for that last year and need to see how that develops. 

They really should be focusing on the O-line from here till TC.  I've said before I think our WR's are fine, but picking up a vet might be a good idea.  Even with a mediocre WR corps, if your line is elite(or even just above average) you can pick apart most defenses in the NFL.  The Raven's line has been the offense's downfall for a few years now, other than 2014 when it played very well.  It's not so much that they give up an inordinate amount of sacks, it's that they tend to make the mistakes at the most critical of times, often negating something positive, or just choking during a critical 3rd or 4th down. 

This year, I have my eye on one player in particular - and that is Breshard Perriman.  Last year he showed some real signs of being an actual playmaker, and his speed is elite(as in he's actually the fastest player in the NFL currently).  I still like Wallace, and think he'll produce big this year as well.  That's a pretty fast tandem, and they need someone to step up as a possession slot receiver, and Campanaro is that guy, IMO.  He's been terrific when he is out there, but he just can't seem to stay out there.  The other player I'm keeping an eye on is Maxx Williams.  I think it's time for him to live up to the hype, or trade him. 

On 5/13/2017 at 10:36 AM, bmore_ken said:

I guess the Ravens scouts nailed it on Matt Elam too, right? I prefaced my original statement with " I don't have Oz's Information."

Again I gave my opinion and you act like I was talking about your child or something. It's not that serious bro.

Ken, we have already established it is your opinion three times now. I don't know what makes you think I am so upset or so serious. I'm just making an argument that totally contradicts what you are saying. 

I don't know what your point is with Elam. Was Elam a bust? Sure but if you don't think good GMs pick busts then you are sadly mistaken. Will Humphrey be a bust? He might be but let's give him a few plays during training camp before we declare Ozzie is no longer a good GM or as you put it "has lost his touch"

I do agree that the offense needs playmakers but Ozzie is not the type to reach for need. I think Humphrey was rated higher on his board than zhoward

On 5/19/2017 at 9:10 AM, poefolks said:

Needs to wrap up better as a tackler.

Uh-oh....not another one.

Edited by jamesdean

On 5/20/2017 at 10:08 PM, RavingManiac said:

Ken, we have already established it is your opinion three times now. I don't know what makes you think I am so upset or so serious. I'm just making an argument that totally contradicts what you are saying. 

There's no argument to be had about an opinion. I didn't call Humphrey a bust, you attempted to attribute that to me. I'm not even saying he's going to be a bad player. My opinion was that we needed an offensive playmaker more than we needed a CB with the first pick.