Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
confused fan

NFL Draft 1st Round Draft Pick: You be the judge……..

29 posts in this topic

I am not offering commentary on this, just an interesting read……….

Shareece Wright 2011:

From Rivals.com:

Positives: Good size — well-proportioned with muscle definition. Has strength to press receivers at the line. Good straight-line speed and closing burst. Hustler — great effort chasing down Washington QB Jake Locker from behind. Reads quarterback drops and drives on throws. Willing, physical run supporter who sets the edge. Good tackle production and shows pop on contact. Tough and intense. Has potential as a gunner on special teams.

Negatives: Game does not come naturally to him and could need extra reps to grasp NFL complexities. Very stiff — is not a fluid mover and does not transition smoothly. Plays on his heels. Struggles in off coverage. Suspect hands and downfield ball skills — loses phase, struggles with his back to the ball and lacks finishing skills (one career interception). Injury history needs to be looked into and durability could be an issue.

Summary: Well-proportioned, competitive, physical, press-and-trail corner who lacks elite top-end speed, recovery burst and ball skills. His confidence and physicality will appeal to teams such as the Ravens, Lions, Giants, Rams and Seahawks that like to roll up their corners

Marlon Humphrey 2017:

From NFL.com

Strengths Has the body type and athletic traits that are out of central casting. Fluid hips and hard-charging makeup speed. Well-versed in a variety of coverages. Plays with disciplined eyes and good balance between high-low responsibilities in zone. Good short-area acceleration to close out receivers and attack throwing lanes. Reactive athleticism helps erase coverage mistakes. Extremely competitive with an edge that spikes after he's beaten. Timid receivers should take the day off. Aggressive from press with a powerful punch. Looks to intimidate when the opportunity arises. Drives receivers out of bounds and out of the play if their vertical release takes them too close to the boundary. Will not let a blocking receiver punk him. Tears through blocker and attacks downhill. Searches for opportunities to strip the ball; forced three fumbles in 2016.

Weaknesses Impatient from press coverage. Opens inside or outside too early rather than waiting for a clear declare from receiver. Struggles to stay in phase throughout the route and allows separation opportunities. Feet are fast but sloppy. Footwork becomes bulky and balance diminishes when matched against quality route workers. Plays a scrambling style of coverage that is too reliant upon his athletic gifts. Issues playing the deep ball are a concern. From off coverage, overreacts to route fakes and opens the door to a big play. Allowed more than 19 yards per completion as a starter. Can be slow to locate the ball and finds himself out of optimal position to play the ball.

Draft Projection Round 1

Sources Tell Us "There are some things on tape that really worry you. If he has trouble playing the long ball it is going to be bombs away against him and his team might have to change how they cover because of that. Those issues usually don't go away." -- Scouting director for AFC team

I dont doubt he'll help in our division. Its just he wasn't the BPA. The other Bama players Allen, Foster, howard all top 10 type talents- allen & foster are top 5. Redskins were rejoicing when we picked Humphrey. Oz is staying safe - thinking long term rather than immediate impact. He probably understands we are 2 years away from a real run. Our offense is bottom 5 right now and our defense will have to be top 2 or 3 for us to compete imo.

For a team that needs a shoot the lights out draft, the pick was overly safe, especially in a draft supposedly deep in corners.

I guess tonight they'll get a pass rusher, probably along with everyone else.  I think SF had the best draft: 

Thomas and R. Foster in the same night. 

And I agree with Birdfan, the drafting of Ross may have prompted the pick.

I think they got Humphrey specifically to counteract all the dink and dunk short routes and screens that teams like Pittsburgh and New England like to run. He apparently just ruins a team's day on passes within 10 yards. I agree though, it's concerning that he has so much trouble with the deep ball, especially considering how good guys like Green and Bryant and Gordon are at picking up huge chunks of yardage.

Edited by Slidemaster

We couldve waited till round 2 and taken Wash. Cb Sidney Jones who many thought could've gone higher than Lattimore and was the best CB in cfb. If Humphrey isn't playing much this year the pick isn't a good value. We couldve taken Jones instead - let him heal, and get a better talent for our secondary who could come in mid-year and make impact.

The Ravens have never, ever just drafted Best Player Available. Don't care what anybody says, it's just not completely true.

They've always drafted the Best Player Available At A Position Of Need. CB is a position of need. Secondary play has KILLED them in critical situations for several years now. Every time Jimmy Smith has to leave a game, things go noticeably south quickly. Besides stupid run / pass calls on gamedays, secondary play is and has been their biggest weakness for two years. This offseason seems to suggest Ozzie and company see that as well...

I have no idea if the pick will be a good one... only time will tell. But I do understand where it came from...

Edited by Ravens2006

At least this year when Jimmy Smith gets hurt you have a replacement .........

Last year's replacement(s) did a great job with OBJ when Smith went down.

Great shutdown CB's are a necessity...when the opposing QB has all day to look for open receivers.

That's the problem. They need more pressure. The Ravens only had 31 sacks last year, bottom third of the league. In defensive hurries, they had 79, 28th in the league. The final drive in the Pittsburgh game, Roethlisberger completed every pass he threw with the exception of those he spiked. They traded Jernigan, released Dumervill, and Suggs is old. I can't say going CB with the first pick is a bad move, but the guy they got is not considered a shut down CB. He struggled with deep passes in college. That might be tough in a division with AJ Green and Antonio Brown. This might be a good future pick, but it does little for them this year. And without better pressure on the QB there is only so much improvement you can expect from the secondary.

Personally I like idea of building a real offense, so that the defense isn't playing 70% of the game.

I'm hoping they get JuJu in round 2.

Maybe the Ravens were reacting to the Bengals drafting Ross.

The Bengals already have Ravens-killer AJ Green, and added the combine sprint champion to their WR corps.  The Steelers of course have Brown and Martavis Bryant was just reinstated.  That's potentially 1/4 of their schedule against division opponents with proven or potentially explosive 1s and 2s.  This whole off-season so far has been focused on improving the secondary.  I have to say, I like the intent the more and more it unfolds.  

I think their DL is good enough to limit the run and allow whoever plays LB to make some plays.  So taking a risky LB in the first, not as necessary I think.  WR is obviously still a need, and I was hoping Ross would fall, but frankly I'm hesitant to give Mornhingweg and company any more reason to throw MORE than they have been.  Adding a proven quality safety, resigning a decent veteran safety for depth / reduced role, adding a solid veteran CB, and drafting a good college corner in the first round... plus hoping Tavon Young develops more... we'll see how it all works out, but if they're still getting torched in key situations come September on the back end, at least it won't be for lack of effort.

Edited by Ravens2006

I liked the later picks as far as their quality, but fear it will count as naught if all we see is Flacco on his back next season.

I liked the later picks as far as their quality, but fear it will count as naught if all we see is Flacco on his back next season.

My thought exactly. There were 3 good plug and play centers they could've got. They could've moved up and got Elflien, who I feel was the best center in the draft. He's durable, a leader, played in a big time conference, and is a day one starter.They had 2 second round picks and a 3rd rounder. I've always felt this team hasn't invested enough into the O-line. It is a rec-ball level mistake not to dedicate the resources in the most important unit on the team. If we had a line like Dallas Joe would put up pro-bowl numbers. I would've let Williams walk and signed Wagner. How would we like to see Joe line up behind this line left to right: LT-Stanley LG- Alex Lewis C-  Elflien RG- Yanda  RT- Wagner............Then I woke up..... :(

My thought exactly. There were 3 good plug and play centers they could've got. They could've moved up and got Elflien, who I feel was the best center in the draft. He's durable, a leader, played in a big time conference, and is a day one starter.They had 2 second round picks and a 3rd rounder. I've always felt this team hasn't invested enough into the O-line. It is a rec-ball level mistake not to dedicate the resources in the most important unit on the team. If we had a line like Dallas Joe would put up pro-bowl numbers. I would've let Williams walk and signed Wagner. How would we like to see Joe line up behind this line left to right: LT-Stanley LG- Alex Lewis C- Elflien RG- Yanda RT- Wagner............Then I woke up..... :(

We definitely need to improve the line but .....

Any qb could put up pro bowl numbers with dallas'line ....

Joe has the biggest cap hit number in the league this season .....

Hes not some rookie, he has to step up ....

As a couple of other posters have noted, the Ravens still need to recognize that they need some guys who can actually put some points on the board (other than Justin Tucker). I don't care how many defensive players you draft and how many of them work out, if the offense can't put together sustained drives, the defense is eventually going to crack. 

As a couple of other posters have noted, the Ravens still need to recognize that they need some guys who can actually put some points on the board (other than Justin Tucker). I don't care how many defensive players you draft and how many of them work out, if the offense can't put together sustained drives, the defense is eventually going to crack. 

I remember in 2000 when the Ravens won a Super Bowl with Dilfer, Ismail and Stokely on the offense. I though that offense stunk then. How do the Patriots make the playoffs every year with their talent on offense, well I know Brady has something to do with it but other than that they don't have big play makers on offense. Just my opinion here.

I remember in 2000 when the Ravens won a Super Bowl with Dilfer, Ismail and Stokely on the offense. I though that offense stunk then. How do the Patriots make the playoffs every year with their talent on offense, well I know Brady has something to do with it but other than that they don't have big play makers on offense. Just my opinion here.

Outside of Gronk and before with Moss, NE hasn't had big name talent. Brady is the only constant in all that time.